• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Another Plane Crashes into NYC building!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

ap_small.gif

Plane crashes into Manhattan building

1 minute ago

A small plane crashed into a high-rise on the Upper East Side, setting off a fire and startling New Yorkers, police said.

Fire Department spokeswoman Emily Rahimi said an aircraft struck struck the 20th floor of a building on East 72nd Street. Witnesses said the crash caused a loud noise, and burning and falling debris was seen. Flames were seen shooting out of the windows. Video from the scene showed at least three apartments in the high rise fully engulfed in flames.

There was no immediate word on any deaths or injuries.

It was not immediately known if it was a terrorist act.

===============================================

ap_small.gif

Aircraft crashes into Manhattan building

1 minute ago

A small aircraft crashed into a high-rise on the Upper East Side, setting off a fire and startling New Yorkers, police said. There were conflicting reports on whether the aircraft was a small plane or a helicopter.

Fire Department spokeswoman Emily Rahimi said an aircraft struck struck the 20th floor of a building on East 72nd Street. Witnesses said the crash caused a loud noise, and burning and falling debris was seen. Flames were seen shooting out of the windows. Video from the scene showed at least three apartments in the high rise fully engulfed in flames.

"There's huge pieces of debris falling," said one witness who refused to give her full name. "There's so much falling now, I've got to get away."

Whether anyone was injured was not known, and it was unclear if the crash was an act of terrorism.

The address of the building is 524 E. 72nd Street — a 50-story condominium tower built in 1986 and located nearby Sotheby's Auction House. It has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

Federal Aviation Administration officials say it's too early to say what type of aircraft was involved.

==========================================================================

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6042306.stm
According to the BBC, the FBI is stating that there is NO indication of terrorism.
Aircraft hits New York building

_42189250_aircraft203.jpg
The crash sent flames pouring up a side of the building

A small plane has crashed into a building in New York City's Upper East Side, causing a serious fire.
TV pictures show flames and smoke coming out of the high-rise building on Manhattan island.
The FBI has told the BBC that there is no indication that the crash is terrorism-related.
A spokeswoman for the New York Fire Department said the aircraft had struck the 20th floor of a building on East 72nd Street.
Witnesses told the Associated Press news agency the crash caused a loud noise, and burning and falling debris was seen.

================================================

CNN claimed that the United Nations stated that the UN employees were told that it was a helicopter.

CNN is now stating that the aircraft is a fixed wing aircraft.

=====================================================

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,219921,00.html
Small Aircraft Crashes Into New York City High-Rise Building
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
foxnews_story.gif

1_61_101106_plane_crash3.jpg

NEW YORK — A small aircraft crashed into a high-rise building on Manhattan's Upper East Side Wednesday,
Local news reports quoted New York Fire Department officials as saying two people were confirmed dead. Officials said there is no indication the incident was a result of terrorism.

The crash set off a raging fire that sent a pillar of gray smoke over the city, police said. Witnesses reported seeing a gigantic fireball come out of the building, police said.

Flames could be seen shooting from windows on two upper floors of the 50-story building, near the East River. Burning debris fell from the tower, and a column of gray smoke rose over the city.

"There's huge pieces of debris falling," said one witness who refused to give her full name. "There's so much falling now, I've got to get away."

Fire Department spokeswoman Emily Rahimi said the aircraft struck the 20th floor of the building, located at 524 East 72nd Street.

The Federal Aviation Administration said it was a small aircraft that was involved, but there was very little other information collected so far. A helicopter would be expected in that area of the city; no other aircraft should be around that part of Manhattan, the FAA said.
"Everyone was running down the street, kids were screaming and crying," Rich Behar, a New York City resident and former Time magazine reporter, told FOX News. "There was a lot of horror and terror when it hit," Behar added, saying the whole ordeal reminded him of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

The building is a 50-story condominium tower built in 1986 and located nearby Sotheby's Auction House. It has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Dutch-NJ

I'm surfing the TV news channels as I post this.

It was a either a helicopter or a fixed wing aircraft.

One news-reporter is trying to understand the difference between a helicopter and a fixed wing aircraft.

Whatever is was, it crashed into the 20th floor of a 40 story building, or the 40th floor of a 50 story building, or into an awning at street level.

There are no reported injuries, but at least two people are reported dead.

It is not an act of terrorism, but NORAD has scrambled jet fighters until the cause is known.

It was sea plane trying to land in the East River. But why was it over a street?

The plane was doing aerobatics

We'll have to wait until the 'black box' is retrieved. Oh, a small plane doesn't have a 'black box?' Never mind.........

Can residents return to the building? They don't want to return right now?

Will firefighters be able to save everyone?

I'm talking to a man who was standing on the street when the debris fell. "Were there any survivors when the debris fell?"

The FBI hasn't ruled out terrorism.

Congress should eliminate un-restricted air space.

Sotheby's had to cancel an in-progress auction.

Yankee's pitcher Cory Lidel may have been piloting the plane.

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I just now returned from dropping my son off at the airport where he is flying to a national ROTC event. I think he has a plane change at JFK.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
I just now returned from dropping my son off at the airport where he is flying to a national ROTC event. I think he has a plane change at JFK.
Have him wave to the fighter jets when he approaches.

Actually, the incident is closer to LaGuardia. All flights seem to be moving as usual.

Dutch - What channel(s) are you watching? I didn't hear about 1/2 that stuff.

Dutch-NJ

bczoom said:
Dutch - What channel(s) are you watching? I didn't hear about 1/2 that stuff.

NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox - - - broadcast New York & Philadelphia

CNN, MSNBC, FOX News - - - cable

Dutch-NJ

I've been studying the news tapes VERY carefully.

I don't see any debris that I can swear is positively from an airplane.

Maybe Bush blew up another building.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It was the N. Korean's version of a terrorist attack.

Kinda failed, just like their fizzled rockets and bomb.

I think that pitcher has ties to Kum Jong Dong, or whatever that nut case's name is over there.