• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Would Ron Paul would rather be right than president?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I found the article below today and thought this quote from (I assume) Pat Buchan was interesting:

"I still don't think Ron Paul seriously expects to be president," Mr. Buchanan said. "He's a classic message politician who would rather be right than president."

So is our society so messed up that we can't have a President that is "right"? I do think Ron Paul's convictions and honesty are what will cause him to lose the nomination in the end. It's sad that America seems intent on electing officials that are two-faced liars willing to pimp their message to the highest bidder.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...DN-paul_17nat.ART.State.Edition1.372eea6.html

Fundraising lets Ron Paul bolster presidential campaign

[SIZE=+1]Elections: Fundraising lets 'anti-politician' increase staff, reach
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]12:00 AM CST on Saturday, November 17, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By GROMER JEFFERS JR. / The Dallas Morning News
gjeffers@dallasnews.com
[/SIZE]

Pundits and rivals have dismissed Rep. Ron Paul's presidential campaign as a joke, saying he's a fringe candidate with no shot of getting elected.
Dr. Paul indeed may not win the White House, but the plain-spoken libertarian is now laughing – all the way to the bank.
Riding the strength of his zealous supporters, his campaign pulled in more than $4.2 million in a Web-based fundraiser Nov. 5, breaking the single-day GOP record.
That record may not stand for long. Dr. Paul's backers plan a fundraising blitz Dec. 16 with a goal of $10 million – $100 donations from 100,000 people – in commemoration of the Boston Tea Party, which helped spark the American Revolution.
Dr. Paul wants a similar seismic change in today's society.
"The message of freedom is powerful," said Jesse Benton, spokesman for Dr. Paul's campaign. "It's unifying. People are getting our message at a time when the government is moving away from personal freedoms."
Flush with cash, Dr. Paul now aims to make inroads in early-voting states such as Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina.
The Lake Jackson congressman is striking a chord with some voters with his call for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq and abolishing the CIA and Federal Reserve.
He also wants toreturn to the gold standard, which the country abandoned in 1930.
Dr. Paul, 72, a gynecologist, is described as modest, even soft-spoken.
"He's a guy who has a personal style and some policy messages that touch a nerve," said Bruce Buchanan, political-science professor at the University of Texas at Austin. "Part of it has to do with policy, most notably the war and the size of government. But it also has to do with truth. Here's a guy who speaks his mind. He's the anti-politician."
The money raised by the anti-politician, mostly on the Internet, has allowed him to bolster his modest campaign.
Mr. Benton said the national staff has expanded from 12 to 75. There are now 67,000 volunteers who have "meet ups" throughout the country. There are 1,100 Ron Paul chapters in 950 cities and 240 student chapters.
Though far behind front-runners Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani in New Hampshire, polls show him inching ahead of former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. He still trails badly in Iowa but has managed to muster 4 percent in some polls, which puts him with Arizona Sen. John McCain.
Political analysts say Dr. Paul could serve as a spoiler by siphoning independent support from Mr. McCain, who needs a strong showing in New Hampshire.
"I still don't think Ron Paul seriously expects to be president," Mr. Buchanan said. "He's a classic message politician who would rather be right than president."
Dr. Paul, the Libertarian Party presidential nominee in 1988, has had opportunities to make an impact.
Over the Labor Day weekend, his army of volunteers dominated the activities surrounding the first Texas Presidential Straw Poll. Supporters dressed in Colonial garb drove a trailer with a replica of the Liberty Bell and danced at a concert featuring Dallas-born blues rocker Jimmie Vaughan.
But when the votes were counted, Dr. Paul finished third in his home state, behind fellow long-shot candidate Duncan Hunter and Mr. Thompson.
But the disappointment hasn't stopped his fundraising momentum.
His Web site frequently updates its lists of donors and features the latest giver on its home page.
Then there are the testimonials.
Austin Wilkes, a 19-year-old student from the University of Alabama, said Dr. Paul is the first candidate his generation of idealists could rally around.
"As an Alabamian, I don't want to tell someone from California how to live their life, and someone from California shouldn't be able to control my actions," he said in a posting. "Centralized government leads to corruption and loss of liberty."
His supporters are passionate and say he'll win. "We think he has a realistic chance," Mr. Benton said. "Dr. Paul wouldn't be doing this if he didn't think he could win."

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
So is our society so messed up that we can't have a President that is "right"? I do think Ron Paul's convictions and honesty are what will cause him to lose the nomination in the end. It's sad that America seems intent on electing officials that are two-faced liars willing to pimp their message to the highest bidder.

I could not agree more ! Where is the honestly and pride For our Country and Our President that we so gallantly fought to protect for over 200 years . I am ashamed when I look at what our elected officials have become . No matter how big the lie ,there is always someone from goverment or the news media to explain to us how it is "Not what we heard or that we did not understand the answer correctly".
Hell! I can't even watch the "State of the Union" Address without some loud mouth coming on right afterwards and telling me "what I just watched and heard , is not what I just watched and heard ". I am not stupid ,let me make my own decision !

You Know Hitler during WW2 ,believed that if you kept a nation gripped in fear and confusion you could easily rule them anyway you wanted . Are we now taking lessons from Hitler .

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I could not agree more ! Where is the honestly and pride For our Country and Our President that we so gallantly fought to protect for over 200 years . I am ashamed when I look at what our elected officials have become . No matter how big the lie ,there is always someone from goverment or the news media to explain to us how it is "Not what we heard or that we did not understand the answer correctly".
Hell! I can't even watch the "State of the Union" Address without some loud mouth coming on right afterwards and telling me "what I just watched and heard , is not what I just watched and heard ". I am not stupid ,let me make my own decision !

You Know Hitler during WW2 ,believed that if you kept a nation gripped in fear and confusion you could easily rule them anyway you wanted . Are we now taking lessons from Hitler .

Well said Al! I couldn't agree more. :applause: