• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Facebook Marketplace 1990 Tucker 1643

Need2Ski

Attachments

• 89A7B5D3-3089-42E4-9D0E-154BA80EBF00.jpg
    89A7B5D3-3089-42E4-9D0E-154BA80EBF00.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 793

alryA

We can't see the ad since we don't do the FB thing. Might want to copy the whole add and past it here.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
would love to get the plow for my 1744

Ajay,

That's going to be a tall order. I have never seen a complete used Tucker factory blade setup for sale. I've seen machines with the framework from a blade system still attached, but without the blade itself. There was (maybe still is) a guy trying to sell a newer blade only (in other words incomplete), but it was a totally different design, and it was expensive, and you'd have to figure out how to mount it and make it work properly.

I think your cheapest option would be to try and find a used machine with a decent blade and buy that to harvest all the components. Then resell it without the blade. Even having everything you need, it would be a lot of work to install it.

This won't make you feel good, but a little over a year ago my snowcat buddy and I were going to replicate a factory Tucker blade for our Snowzilla project, and I put out a feeler for interest in building more. (We have a complete factory blade system for reference.) We guesstimated the cost at $5K, and got no takers. I think I said something like "...you might get the setup from Tucker but the cost would be eye-watering". Having seen their recent parts price increases "eye watering" doesn't seem to far enough. "Staggering" is probably more accurate.

Here's a link to that thread.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=78782&highlight=tucker+blade

Zero interest at this point in making another.

olympicorange

BFT, youre not kidding about dealer prices....ouch. that's nearly 100% of the reason of finding old, used, nos, etc.... parts ...anywhere … before they find them , and add the markup. so,.... my question is....how much use do these front snow blades actually get, when youre out in the back country, or anywhere really.?? … for the comparison of; cost, added weight on the front suspension,... things like that. and are they detachable from machine ...fairly handy to..... so you could leave it at the cabin, and hook onto it when needed.... or just leave it on , because its too much to wrestle with …. just curious...thx guyz….

Need2Ski

Here is the blade that I think BFT was talking about. Appears to be in great shape. I believe the entire setup to attach to your 1744 would have to be fabricated as I don’t think it’s included. This has been posted off and on for the last year or so.

Attachments

• 5DEF6EC4-CAAE-4891-AA28-EB349C1C7FE2.jpg
    5DEF6EC4-CAAE-4891-AA28-EB349C1C7FE2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 539

Ajay1118

Thanxs I ll keep looking I’m not in a hurry for one but I ll keep looking. Do they use to plow roads with them or just excessive snow !! I’m new to the tucker snow cat club but I love mine !!!

alryA

Plows on snow machines in general are to knock some air from snow before you drive over it. Plus help to level any undulations. Sometime they'll move snow to fill in wet spots. Mike, have you done that?

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanxs I ll keep looking I’m not in a hurry for one but I ll keep looking. Do they use to plow roads with them or just excessive snow !! I’m new to the tucker snow cat club but I love mine !!!

On a groomer the blade is just for snow and the cutting edge is engaged by tilting the blade forward. Using one of these blades to plow snow to dirt will ruin the cutting edge and dramatically reduce its ability to move snow.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Plows on snow machines in general are to knock some air from snow before you drive over it. Plus help to level any undulations. Sometime they'll move snow to fill in wet spots. Mike, have you done that?

The big use I've seen is where roads are drifted across and you don't like the side slope slide.

olympicorange

Here is the blade that I think BFT was talking about. Appears to be in great shape. I believe the entire setup to attach to your 1744 would have to be fabricated as I don’t think it’s included. This has been posted off and on for the last year or so.

…………. this has been on for awhile... I talked with him a year or so ago... the owner is a transport driver ...contracted to ''Tucker'' ...to deliver sno cats.... so he comes up with pieces . this one I believe he said came off a unit that he personally bought.... he was having Medford build a blade with more functions...and he was leasing it out to a local snowmobile club....

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
BFT, youre not kidding about dealer prices....ouch. that's nearly 100% of the reason of finding old, used, nos, etc.... parts ...anywhere … before they find them , and add the markup. so,.... my question is....how much use do these front snow blades actually get, when youre out in the back country, or anywhere really.?? … for the comparison of; cost, added weight on the front suspension,... things like that. and are they detachable from machine ...fairly handy to..... so you could leave it at the cabin, and hook onto it when needed.... or just leave it on , because its too much to wrestle with …. just curious...thx guyz….

The blades are relatively easy to remove and reconnect. On the older style machines from roughly 1980 vintage, basically three pins to remove and six hydraulic lines to disconnect from QD fittings. If you want to go further, you can remove the axle mounted frame which would be four bolts plus the fifth wheel support rod.

I bought my first Tucker to access some property I have on a fairly remote lake in NW Montana. The "road" is essentially a semi-improved logging road, and it is on the side of a fairly steep hill. Some places are fairly benign, but in a couple the road is cut into a steep bank area. In winter, snow tends to drift in this area such that it essentially matches the original contour of the slope. That would be much too steep to try and sidehill across, so having a blade that can be tilted side-to-side would allow a level path to be cut through that drifted snow.

It's a mistake to consider the blade a "snowplow". It's really a pretty light-duty implement with limited capability. If you think of it as a finish mower as opposed to a Bush-Hog, you get the idea.

I consider myself a pretty brand-loyal Tucker guy, however I am very frustrated by their parts pricing, and I suspect I'm speaking for a lot of Tucker owners (Tucker, I hope you're reading this!) when I say that. I fully understand the effects of inflation, and also that over time parts prices rise due to those effects. Last fall, I did some research on drive sprocket and idler wheel pricing (new and the cost to have cores recovered) and I priced some other parts from Tucker. I compared the increase in Tucker's prices with the rate of inflation over the time period since I had either purchased or had price quotes from Tucker. Inflation had risen by 18%, and Tucker parts were up an average of 60%. I find that unconscionable, and I'd say Tucker is doing a good job in losing my allegiance....

Need2Ski, That's the one! It looks the price has come down quite a bit since I saw it.

olympicorange

…….. BFT, I totally agree, I feel the same way...ive been a Tucker guy since I started working on snocats...30 yrs. ago... I guess the ski mountains can afford it?? around these parts, tuckers have lost the alpine business. prinoth & P/B's have mopped up. I work on all of them, and Tucker's , in my opinion, are much more user friendly for the ''wrench'' guy. but, most of the time , it's the creature comforts, controls, etc... that seem to help sway the rental agreements. the '' two-tracker's'' seem to have a lower center of gravity, but all the components are squeezed between the two tracks, chassis/ area. leaning over the full-length tracks ; to do anything ; is a challenge, hard on the anatomy, etc. but that being said, it's great that everyone has their own preferences on makes/ models/ etc...… would be a boring forum if they were all the same machine.... thx for reading.... :idea:

The Sweet Wbj1

I looked for either a Tucker blade or a 1644/1643 with a blade on it for I think three years and didn't see a single machine!! Good luck on your search. IMO - if you want a blade on your machine get Blackfoot to build you one(assuming the offer is still open).

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
…….. BFT, I totally agree, I feel the same way...ive been a Tucker guy since I started working on snocats...30 yrs. ago... I guess the ski mountains can afford it?? around these parts, tuckers have lost the alpine business. prinoth & P/B's have mopped up. I work on all of them, and Tucker's , in my opinion, are much more user friendly for the ''wrench'' guy. but, most of the time , it's the creature comforts, controls, etc... that seem to help sway the rental agreements. the '' two-tracker's'' seem to have a lower center of gravity, but all the components are squeezed between the two tracks, chassis/ area. leaning over the full-length tracks ; to do anything ; is a challenge, hard on the anatomy, etc. but that being said, it's great that everyone has their own preferences on makes/ models/ etc...… would be a boring forum if they were all the same machine.... thx for reading.... :idea:

We pretty much used up the nice, unspoiled real estate between the frame rails on Thundercat. Both under the rear floor and under the bed. Unfortunately, now access is from underneath. Maybe (even) less fun than reaching across wide tracks?

Under the rear floor: fuel filter, fuel pump, engine oil cooler, transmission fluid cooler and dual cross-port relieve valve for steering system. In addition to lots of bent steel tubing.

IMG_0155.jpg

Under the bed we added a hydraulic winch and a cooler for hydraulic system fluid, and of course more bent steel tubing.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg