• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Opinions on Chevy Suburban, GMC Yukon, Ford Expedition?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never owned one of the giant bus size SUVs that roam the rural roads of North America but I've rented a few of them over the years for fishing trips, trips to college with more stuff than my smaller SUV can carry, etc.

Well yesterday I took my wife into town in the rented GMC Yukon that I used to bring Melen home from college the day prior. But the lovely Mrs_Bob had not been inside one of these big SUVs and was very impressed with it. Turned out that I parked right next to a Ford Expedition at the grocery store. So she got to see the competition too.

So there is now talk around the homestead of buying one when our aging VW Touareg gives up the ghost.

First off, I don't want one. I could probably be talked into one of the "short" versions like the Chevy Tahoe or the standard length Yukon or Expedition. But not the full length Suburban, Tahoe XL or Expedition EL.

So my question to you folks is, which is better? I know the Chevy/GMC thing is just a change of the LOGO Badge. So this really boils down to a FORD -vs- CHEVY question.

I've never driven the Ford. But I've driven many a Ford F-150 which is the base from which the Expedition is derived. And I've driven both the Yukon and the Suburban. Both feel underpowered to me when driving in the mountains, but on roads running through flat Hoosier prairies they are plenty responsive. Not a big fan of the seats, they are huge and offer little support, but with 12 hour drives in them I do not feel beat up. So while not my ideal seat, they do the job.

Anyone here have anything to chip in? Me, I'd rather get a Mercedes E-Class sedan or an Audi A6.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Funny you should ask. I've been doing the same research here for when the time comes that I have to replace the durango. I had my mind set on a newer durango at first. Something in the 2007-8 age range(thinking of price and I refuse to buy new only to have $10000 in value lost the minute I drive it off the lot)

My criteria is that it must be a 7 passenger SUV with the bigger engine so I can haul the camper. Like you, I don't want am XL model like a suburban or yukon XL. Just this week, I started looking at the Yukon/tahoe models. They are available in regular length with the 7 passenger seating and aren't much bigger in size than the durango I have now. One thing that swayed me over to the Yukon/Tahoe vs the newer model Durango is the fuel mileage on the earlier 5.7l hemi engines. I know the 5.3L is a tried and true proven engine that has been around for years. The 5.7L around that time was only a few years into production and not as fuel efficient.

I can't vouch for the ford expedition since I only looked at them breifly out of curiosity. I found the fords to be rather guttless in the power department and every ford I've sat in felt like I was sitting on a park bench. I've always been more of a chevy guy when it comes to interior comfort.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I miss having my 8 seat Durango occasionally. I don't miss the cost of filling it up. If you ever have to drive/park in big cities then the added size can be a hassle.

If I didn't already have a F350 that I barely use I would also have a big SUV for those bad winter days and family recreational outings.

My wife's Envoy is good enough though.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I like my fiancee's envoy xl. That thing rides like a dream and has plenty of power with the 5.3L engine. (almost scary if you stomp on it at a red light). It's got plenty of room for us and our 4 kids. I always prefered the ride and comfort of GMC/chevy.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
My 99 suburban has been sitting for at least three years, occasional use only. Going to clean it up and sell it. When the gas tank is empty is a hundred and fifty to fill it up.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the Expedition is F-250 derived, and has easily the largest cab of them all....

And you can get it with a turbo diesel as well, or at least you could.

Wish I had bought Ford stock at $3.00 too.

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the Expedition is F-250 derived, and has easily the largest cab of them all....

And you can get it with a turbo diesel as well, or at least you could.

Wish I had bought Ford stock at $3.00 too.

Regards, Kirk

The Expedition, if I am not mistaken is F-150 based and gas powered.
The Excursion, which has been discontinued, was F-250 based and diesel powered.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you looked at the Chevy Traverse (or GMC equivalent)?

They're a really nice ride. Have almost as much cargo space as the Suburban but rides better and gets better mileage.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I rode in and drove a Yukon on a recent road trip. Lots of highway miles and high speed traffic. the Yukon handled great. Plenty of power. Very comfortable to drive or ride in.

And, if we are going to suggest alternatives to the choices Bob provided, I would check out the Infinity QX80. Very nice. Rented it for a 6 hour road trip. Very nice. I think it costs 20k more than the Yukon though and I do not see 20k worth of difference. In the long run it might last longer and that could be the difference so in that regard it depends on how long you plan to keep the new vehicle.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you looked at the Chevy Traverse (or GMC equivalent)?

They're a really nice ride. Have almost as much cargo space as the Suburban but rides better and gets better mileage.

No.

Honestly I don't like GM ever since the bailout. This topic came up only because I rented a Yukon XL to pick up Melen from college, she had more crap that I can haul in the Touareg. The lovely Mrs_Bob rode in it this weekend and that started the conversation.

I'm not a fan of these giant SUVs. But they are practical for many things and there are many times when we find we'd like a larger SUV.

As for fuel economy, the Yukon XL got about 15.8 mpg for the trip. My Touareg averages about 17.5. So its not a huge hit to go up in size.

Then again, I'd be very happy with a VW Passat diesel sedan as a car for me. A Mercedes E class diesel would be awesome, but spending $55,000 for a car that doesn't include leather seats at that price just bothers me. Configured the way I'd like it, its about $65,000. Which would buy me 2 diesel Passats.

So I'm clearly not sold on giant SUVs.

jwstewar

We've got a 2008 Suburban with the 5.3 and the 4L60e tranny. It has 3.73 gears and is 4x4. It will not win any races off the line, but at the same time, once it gets rolling it doesn't do bad. We have about 35k miles on it. Normally it is the Mom mobile, but it gets its share of work too. When we do the goat shows I will take the truck with the camper and then Monica will take the 'burb with our 16' stock trailer loaded with goats and tack. I towed the trailer this weekend with it. The trailer weighs 3500 lbs empty. We had 6 goats in it, hay, straw, 35 gallons of water, grooming stands. In the 'burb itself we had all of the grooming supplies, a blower, feed, a loaded cooler, and a couple outfits and shoes for the 5 people. This was just a short trip of about 45 miles, but it towed great. Then yesterday I took the trailer and went a got a load of hay because the Silverado has 3100 lbs of patio blocks sitting in the bed of it. Even though the hay ended being loaded a bit tongue heavy, the 'burb still towed great. Even had a chance to "push" it a little bit. I wanted to change lanes and I punched the gas and I was able to out accelerate some type of smaller car.

The seats in the 'burb aren't quite as comfortable as my '99 Silverado, but not bad either. As far as reliability goes it has been great. We had no warranty issues with it. Just in the past year both of the door lock actuators in the driver's side have quit working. It seems to have been a 2008 issue though. I haven't heard of too many before or since, but 2008 all of them fail. We average 15 MPGs with lots of short trips and the towing thrown in for good measure.