• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

private messages

LarryRB

on the other forum, they have admitted that administrators and not the moderators can read private messages.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually, Mossroad came back and said that only Admins could read the PM's.

I would have to admit that on this forum the admin does not know how to read PM's and does not have the time to try. But, all this data is stored in the database and their is a way to get at it. I hope there is NEVER a need for that.

Opps ...Larry, I read you message to quickly. I now see you said the same thing as me ....only the admins can read PM's. sorry.

OkeeDon

On any site based on a database, such as any forum, most guestbooks, etc. etc. etc., anyone who has access to the raw database files can read anything in those files. Access to the database files is a matter of a username and password to the host site and a separate username and password to the database, usually a MySQL database on a Linux-based host, and the knowledge of how to open and query the database. In the case of the MySQL databases, a fairly intuitive program called phpMySQLAdmin makes it relatively easy. The final requisite is motivation. I have administrated private forums. Being the curious Peeping Tom sort, I have peeked from time to time at the PMs, and have chortled a bit, but never taken action based on them -- because that would be a dead give-away that I was peeking, which would spoil all the fun. I view it as something akin to drilling a hole through the wall into the girl's shower; M obviously views it as sticking his finger in a hole in the dike (that's dike as in levee, not as in -- oh, never mind).

Point being, PM's are not absolutely private, on almost any forum in the world.

LarryRB

Don
my PM's, all two of them, and I have nothing to hide.. I guess my comment was meant to lean more to, " additional questions and problems as brought up by various members over there".. Although I didn't know how it works and you explained that well this morning.. They are really eliminating a lot of posts, and other questions are popping up throughout the whole forum.. It appears that a select few have to read, catch up, then repost another explanation.. The dog chasing it's tail,,,, Oh well, gives the admins and moderators a reason to keep posting I guess.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very good question JC. I don't know the answer but I'll see if I can find out.