• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Don't get in a rush

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Last night when I was hooking up my flatbed with TC on it, I was in a hurry to get going. This morning when I went out to unload the truck and tractor, I damn near collapsed. The lock on the trailer coupler was in the upright position, unlocked, and the saftey pin was still installed in the unlock position! I hauled all this over 250 miles, with only the tongue wieght of the trailer holding it all together at 70 mph! When I say I felt weak at that moment I'm not kidding. Just the thought of what could have happened scared the dog crap outa me.
I think at our prior site, you guys know how safety concious I am of hauling loads, so you can imagine my shock.
I took Dargo's scare as one of my own. I hope you guys take this one for yourselves too.
Moral of the story, SLOW down, take your time when loading. You might save some elses life besides your own.:4_11_9:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow John, you were lucky!!! Thank goodness you applied appropriate tongue weight.
johnday said:
I took Dargo's scare as one of my own. I hope you guys take this one for yourselves too.
I too spent a couple hundred $ at the store after Dargo's experience.

More than once, I've forgotten to lock down the coupler. Luckily, a second check before pulling out caught it. I now do a 2nd and 3rd visual inspection of the trailer connections before pulling out.

Quick anecdote... It was last January. I just bought my 2005 GMC Crew Cab and loving it. Went to my dad's and needed to bring my GT home so I hooked up the trailer then started driving the tractor up the ramps. Oops, forgot to connect the coupler/ball lock. Oops again, the tailgate was down. The front of the trailer cut loose and flew into and slammed the tailgate. Tailgate flew upwards then back down (back onto the trailer tongue). DAMN, I've had this thing 3 weeks and just put a big gouge in the tailgate. I couldn't believe it... the trailer hit the plastic around the tailgate release handle (both on the upward hit as well as the tailgate coming back down). Not a scratch in the paint :D Plastic and handle was fine as well.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I always stop at the halfway point and do a walk around before I get something to eat. I really have to be more observant!

Your tailgate trip really sounds like a bummer. About makes you sick when something like that happens with a new truck. Reminds of backing out the drive a few weeks ago, and Jans truck wasn't where it belonged. $1400 damage to hers, and a new front bumper on mine. DOH!:eek:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
johnday said:
I always stop at the halfway point and do a walk around before I get something to eat. I really have to be more observant!
I normally do that after about 5 miles into the trip. Check all chains, straps...

johnday said:
Reminds of backing out the drive a few weeks ago, and Jans truck wasn't where it belonged. $1400 damage to hers, and a new front bumper on mine. DOH!:eek:
OOPS.
I had someone over detailing the cars a couple years back. He parked one of them where nobody ever parks, I came around a blind corner in reverse (at a decent speed) and smashed right into it. Another DOH!!!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like me! The only fender benders I've had in 25 years have been in my own yard.:whistle:

I was selling a truck a few years ago. Not a scratch to be seen on it. I'd had it parked off the drive out by the street. It was getting late evening, so I thought I'd move it back up by the barn. Started backing straight back, and BOOM! Right into a maple that had been there since the house was built. Took out the whole right rear corner. Worse part was that a guy had already looked at it, and said he wanted it. He still took it after it was fixed. My neighbor across the street heard the crash. He came over and said if I had needed help, he would have helped me back down the truck, he actually meant well, but it was a poor choice of words! :rolleyes: Lived in this house 6 years, and my drive has claimed 3 trucks!:eek:
Jan is amazed for some reason at my ability to back down a trailer. I have to snake them around that tree, with the blind side, and have never come close to whacking one of them. Oh boy, shouldn't have said that. Next time I bring the boat in, I'll probably whack it!:4_11_9: