Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum > THIOKOL/LMC/DMC Technical Issues Forum

THIOKOL/LMC/DMC Technical Issues Forum Technical repair issues & questions for Thiokol/DMC/LMC

Old 03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

pixie is on a distinguished road
Default IMP brake slave replacement

I got kind of mad about not being able to find a replacement slave cylinder.
After searching the parts books for 1.25" cylinders and running into a bunch of dead ends, I decided to try modifying something that is available but isn't exactly right.
This set up may not be perfect or long lasting but it's fairly cheap at about $60, bolts right in and only takes about 20 minutes of work.

This is a clutch slave cylinder from a Chevy Cavilier and similar models and has a 'proprietary' inlet fitting. You will need a "long nut" 7/16 fine thread. I had a bunch from another project. They came from McMaster-Carr.
Also 2 bolts 7/16 fine thread 1.5 or2 inches.
And a brass fitting male/female 7/16 or what ever your cylinder takes for the incoming line and the male end fits nicely in the new cylinder.

Take the new slave cylinder apart and throw out the spring and spring holder and put it back together. Get the end with the square thing out of the old cylinder.
Cut off the head of one bolt , clean up the threads and make a slot in each end with a saw to take a screwdriver.
Round off the head of the other bolt. Nice and round because the piston in the cylinder is brass and they will rub on each other.

Grind about 3 threads off the fitting and put it in the new cylinder. Gently drill a slot to take the supplied pin. Use some nice thick epoxy and epoxy the fitting in the hole and insert the pin.
Assemble the rest of the stuff to what ever length you think is right and VOILA !
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Tracked Evolution Central

MNoutdoors is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IMP brake slave replacement

Well, pix let us know how this works leave it to a snowcat owner to come up with a re-engineered idea. by the way chopping down trees with a rifle may not be cost effective
Old 03-05-2008, 12:57 AM
Bronze Member

IMP is on a distinguished road

I bought a direct replacement for an IMP 1404 steering slave cylinder a few years ago from Power Transmission inc. in Fairbanks AK. Call Ray at 907/456-2230 Wagner pn# F26022 casting#FE-21637. if you ever need another one.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:06 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,049 Times in 432 Posts
redsqwrl is on a distinguished road

bump
Old 07-24-2018, 09:39 AM

andyv916 is on a distinguished road

Did you try Spryte improvement in Idaho , They have a lot more than there website shows.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:16 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,049 Times in 432 Posts
redsqwrl is on a distinguished road

I will be seeing what pat has going on.

I try to search and dig as much as possible before asking a redundant question. this thread is very complete with data and is 10 years old. many folks have put a lot of time into compiling ideas and data. I just bump them back to the top to be able to find the info quickly.