• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1979 Tucker 2742

farmercg

I'm selling my 2742 tucker Sno cat. There were not many of these models produced, of what I have found only a handful. It is now on rubber tracks instead of the belting and steel grousers. The rubber tracks are used ones from track inc in Vermont. I've had it for four years and I just don't have time for it and need the money elsewhere my loss your gain. It is wide because it did run 46" wide old-style tracks. Which I still have. We had new spindles made for the new set up. Bearings are good. It will come with the other set of tracks and the barn roof style drive wheels which are also in great shape. also two other carriages that I got with it that were from a wrecked one, it also has a new stainless steel fuel tank that we had made for it and I believe it's right around 52 gallons. it has the Detroit four-cylinder diesel in it with an Allison automatic tranny . $25,500 obo. Caleb.

Attachments

• tucker.jpg
    tucker.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 1,115
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,058
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,053
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,055
  • IMG_6499.jpg
    IMG_6499.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,030
  • IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,053
  • IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,036
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,047

farmercg

What i did was took the old drive wheels off of the wheel/specer that they bolt to and i had to cut one of the rings off and turn it maybe a half inch in order for the cogs on the rubber track drives to line up together, and also made new 3" longer spindles for all the wheels in order for the rubber drive wheel to fit since they are wider than the old ones.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
What i did was took the old drive wheels off of the wheel/specer that they bolt to and i had to cut one of the rings off and turn it maybe a half inch in order for the cogs on the rubber track drives to line up together, and also made new 3" longer spindles for all the wheels in order for the rubber drive wheel to fit since they are wider than the old ones.
that's cool the tucker guys said that conversion wasn't cost effective because one would have to buy the whole under carriage to make the conversion

"wife says only two.. so one would have to go. I just can't part with what I have"

are you going to miss her a lot? - lol

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Couple of things: Isn't the asking price of the cat close to what the tracks cost new alone?($20,000 for set of 4?) and wouldn't it be great to document how the conversion was done (sounds too simple?) Someone could come up with a conversion kit if it's a good system. Looks like a great buy.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting conversion.

As a point of reference only, a few years ago there was a similar vintage 2742 for sale in Ontario, CA. It also had the Detroit 4-53 and Allison setup. I recall seeing the craigslist listing and the asking price was $8,500. It was listed for awhile before being purchased by forum member VXclimber180. Here's a link to a thread about that machine:
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=45989&highlight=vxclimber180

A quick look at your photos, and ones from that thread, look very similar. In fact one of the photos is identical. (Your seventh picture and the first in the thread I linked.) I'm not certain-but it sure looks like the same machine.

While the rubber track conversion is cool, I personally couldn't justify the difference in price ($25K vs $8.5K). The original setup required much longer axle housings to utilize the 46" wide tracks. Now you've got the wide axles (and the associated extra weight) but narrower tracks. I don't know the exact width of your machine, but I'd venture it's definitely oversize.

BTW, Track, Inc. is in Minnesota. The Vermont Tucker dealer is Get-Sno Equipment (Formerly Cook's Equipment).

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have always thought a station wagon model with the terra tracks would be a great way to expand the tourism stuff I do to capture the summer work with tundra tours. but it would take a lot of rides to pay for it

farmercg

Thank you Blackfoot tucker, I should have looked it up again but yes the tracks are from Get Sno. I had looked at so many different websites when I was working on the cat, thought for sure it was track inc. I should have looked before I posted, sorry. The tracks are used and you can get them for a 1000$ a piece.
I did purchase this cat from VX climber180 for $17k.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a 2700 Sno-Cat from Mt. Hood. Second photo is from second owner who removed the blade and compacter bar. Lots a room to sleep in the passenger compartment.

Attachments

• DSCN2814.jpg
    DSCN2814.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 879
  • tucker 2743.jpg
    tucker 2743.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 860

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
P.S. If you remove the tracks, the 2700 is 8 feet wide, no oversize required.

That's true, and the link I posted earlier has a photo of the machine on a trailer with the tracks removed. Living in a ski resort community I see big groomer 'Cats being transported with the tracks removed several times a year.

I think the vast majority of what I'll call "recreational snowcat owners" (the category most forum members would fit in) like the idea of being able to drive their machine on and off the trailer in one piece. Having to remove the tracks for transport is a major pain in the neck (IMHO) and would require some additional equipment to lift either the snowcat or the tracks, or both.

Several years ago there was a mid-eighties 2744 for sale in the Lake Tahoe area. It looked to be in nice shape (resort owned) and I wanted it...bad. However sanity prevailed and I passed.

I'm sure that 2742 has some awesome capability! Good luck with the sale.

farmercg

The conversion is actually pretty simple, but we put a lot of thinking and rethinking and just trying different things out. Took quite a bit of time until we got it finished and working but looking back it is real simple.
Since the rubber track drive wheels are wider than the old style we had to make a spacer, i believe it was around 3", to bolt onto the hub/axle first in order to throw it out far enough to put the new drive wheel on. The spacer bolts up to the hub and then it also has studs on to bolt the spool onto which the drive wheels bolt to. We used the same spool that the old drive rings bolt up to but had to cut one of the rings off and turn it a half inch or so, the bolt pattern is different on the old and new style so the cogs don't line up straight with each other. It's more simple than what it sounds. then we had to get all new spindles made for the wheels, so that they would be center of the drive wheel. I will try and get a picture of the drive wheel part

farmercg

The conversion is actually pretty simple, but we put a lot of thinking and rethinking and just trying different things out. Took quite a bit of time until we got it finished and working but looking back it is real simple.
Since the rubber track drive wheels are wider than the old style we had to make a spacer, i believe it was around 3", to bolt onto the hub/axle first in order to throw it out far enough to put the new drive wheel on. The spacer bolts up to the hub and then it also has studs on to bolt the spool onto which the drive wheels bolt to. We used the same spool that the old drive rings bolt up to but had to cut one of the rings off and turn it a half inch or so, the bolt pattern is different on the old and new style so the cogs don't line up straight with each other. It's more simple than what it sounds. then we had to get all new spindles made for the wheels, so that they would be center of the drive wheel. I will try and get a picture of the drive wheel part

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since I own a couple of Raven controls on my farm, I see you have one in the Tucker...

I assume a spray tank and boom was on the back? How big of a spray tank did you have, and how wide of boom? If not spaying, what did you use it for?

Interesting, farming with a snow cat.. Can't argue the floatation factor at all..

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cool seeding rig for sure. Low ground pressure for sure..

Did it work out well? As a corn and soybean farmer I find this very interesting stuff. I don't know much about farming seeded crops. We are all in rows..

So what do you grow, that you used this bad boy Tucker for?? :smile:

If I could find a way to justify a Tucker for farming, like yours, I would be all over it..

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
bobcat sells lots of smaller hydraulic equipment that may work on the front.
pistenbully%20%20mower.jpg

tuckeredup

What became of your 2742? I have a 1977 2742 that looks quite different. Trying to decide the best direction to go with this machine. Lots of options and crazy ideas floating around the versatile flatbed. I am an avid backcountry skier and we are interested in using it for club type access.
The wide tracks do have big pros and cons. A narrower track would be nice in many regards but this is a big heavy machine. Would it be efficient with less track?20161231_173152.jpghttp://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/attachment.php?attachmentid=96109&stc=1&d=1518539989

Attachments

• 20160216_141750.jpg
    20160216_141750.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 219

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

How hard would it be to convert back to belted? Would one have to make new parts?