• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

70 years ago today

K

kcvet

Aug 6, 1945 Hiroshima Japan is totally destroyed by the first ever Abomb. an event that is still a hot button issue even today

1z2i1yp.jpg

story

Leni

The alternative would have been an invasion of Japan. That would have cost millions more lives on all sides. In fact the Purple Hearts that were made for that invasion are still being used today.

leadarrows

My dad was on Okinawa. They told the 1st Marine Division to expect 75 to 90% casualties when they landed on Japan. Dad had already lived threw 3 campaigns and he doesn't think he would have made it thew another landing.

K

kcvet

the pacifist libs still call that generation mass murderer"s to this day. but if Truman doesn't use it he risk being impeached. or hung

Leni

It was top secret and very few knew that the bomb existed. Truman made the only choice that he could. Yes it was devastating but it ended the war. Many more lives would have been lost if the bomb hadn't been used.

K

kcvet

they had no idea if it would work or not. it was a gamble. if it fails then its a morale booster for Japan.

fe31io.jpg

after delivery of the Hiroshima bomb to Tinian island 2 torpedo's from the I-58 submarine sends her to the bottom. out of a crew of 1,197 An estimated 900 make it into the sea. the vessel sinks in approx 11 mins. of those approx 317 survive what was called the biggest shark attack on record. and later one of the most controversial court martial's in Naval history

story

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
they had no idea if it would work or not. it was a gamble. if it fails then its a morale booster for Japan.

fe31io.jpg

after delivery of the Hiroshima bomb to Tinian island 2 torpedo's from the I-58 submarine sends her to the bottom. out of a crew of 1,197 An estimated 900 make it into the sea. the vessel sinks in approx 11 mins. of those approx 317 survive what was called the biggest shark attack on record. and later one of the most controversial court martial's in Naval history

story

Are you kidding? There was no gamble involved at all. Invading Japan with ground troops would be akin to putting military personnel heads into a lawn mower hoping to eventually stop the blades or run it out of gas. It was that or hitting the motor with a sledge hammer.

Seems a simple logical choice to break the motor.

As for the bomb, that was no gamble. We weren't testing a theory over Hiroshima. The Bomb worked. The only gamble was whether or not the Japanese would capitulate.

The 2 million causalities projected were not guesses, not even educated guesses. They were projections based on previous island invasions.

And of course there is the forgotten matter of Pearl Harbor. Over 3,000 Americans in a matter of hours. Which started the conflict with Japan.

We had no reason to show mercy to the Japanese, military, or civilian. Nor to prolong the war with American casualties.

Truman was once asked by a reporter if he felt any remorse or guilt about dropping the bomb on the poor Japanese. The former President of the USA promptly decked the guy.

Good for Harry.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
This is what used to happen when you wake a sleeping giant.

They started it; we finished it.

You know what, I am not so sure we could ever win a war again. The last time was WWII. War is hell. Not so much anymore. Send a few kids over, let 'em get killed, then give the enemy 150 billion and let 'em build nukes. Brilliant,

Like Frank says - this was no test and there was no uncertainty.

And it wasn't secret. They knew we only had two ready. Thank God the Rooskies had eyes on Japan and Japan knew it. Surrender to us was way better than to be invaded by Russia.

K

kcvet

Are you kidding? There was no gamble involved at all. Invading Japan with ground troops would be akin to putting military personnel heads into a lawn mower hoping to eventually stop the blades or run it out of gas. It was that or hitting the motor with a sledge hammer.

Seems a simple logical choice to break the motor.

As for the bomb, that was no gamble. We weren't testing a theory over Hiroshima. The Bomb worked. The only gamble was whether or not the Japanese would capitulate.

The 2 million causalities projected were not guesses, not even educated guesses. They were projections based on previous island invasions.

And of course there is the forgotten matter of Pearl Harbor. Over 3,000 Americans in a matter of hours. Which started the conflict with Japan.

We had no reason to show mercy to the Japanese, military, or civilian. Nor to prolong the war with American casualties.

Truman was once asked by a reporter if he felt any remorse or guilt about dropping the bomb on the poor Japanese. The former President of the USA promptly decked the guy.

Good for Harry.

yes there was a gamble or risk. first time for a weapon like this there is always a risk. this thing had to fall the required distance arm itself and detonate. the scientist that built it took bets if it would work. and another bet it would ignite the worlds atmosphere. we thought about a test firing with a Japanese delegation there. a small worthless island. but we back down to much fear it fails. and Japan's morale goes thru the roof.
i agree with most of what you say here. although i never knew Truman decked anyone while in office. BTY I lived in his home town. went to HS there