• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hornets nest

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I discovered yesterday that a swarm of hornets can fly faster mad than I can run scared.

I found a nest in my tarp garage where I store the atvs at camp. I got the bright idea to sneak up from the back side of the garage and give it a good wack with my cane in the hopes of dislodging the nest on the other side.

I succeeded in knocking down the nest but also succeeded in pissing off a swarm of hornets. I managed to move rather quick with my cane but still got nailed in the neck by one. Looks like only a couple still flying around the area this morning.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I discovered yesterday that a swarm of hornets can fly faster mad than I can run scared.

I found a nest in my tarp garage where I store the atvs at camp. I got the bright idea to sneak up from the back side of the garage and give it a good wack with my cane in the hopes of dislodging the nest on the other side.

I succeeded in knocking down the nest but also succeeded in pissing off a swarm of hornets. I managed to move rather quick with my cane but still got nailed in the neck by one. Looks like only a couple still flying around the area this morning.

when getting rid of a nest like that it is best to wait until dark, and hopefully cooler night, then spray the crap out of it with Raid. Most if not all the hornets will be back in the nest by nightfall and if it is cool will not be as active in the nest. At least that is what I was told by an old farmer.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
As Mr lib, said after dark but use starting fluid and don't use an open flame for a light, LOL!! It's cheaper and just as effective.
Mike

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had a nest under my deck at home last summer. I sprayed the heck out of it with raid.

What I found works to keep them away is hanging a fake nest somewhere nearby. We did that at home and have no more problems with them since they are territorial and generally want to avoid another nest.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
As Mr lib, said after dark but use starting fluid and don't use an open flame for a light, LOL!! It's cheaper and just as effective.
Mike

Yup, and WD-40 works as well. Personally, I like to use the wasp spray and get about 20 feet away from the little buggers. That gives me a head start when they get pissed off. :biggrin:

Yesterday I spent the afternoon going round the house taking care of dirt dawber nests/tubes. I did it back in June too but those things have been really busy this year.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am a little causes about checking my electric fence alone my yard with my bathrobe on.
I stood over a ground nest last week and got 15 stings. those little suckers flew up my robe.
if I don't check the wire at daylight the heifers relies really fast the can get into my fruit trees and the game department wont do a dam thing about the elk busting fences.
jim

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I am a little causes about checking my electric fence alone my yard with my bathrobe on.
I stood over a ground nest last week and got 15 stings. those little suckers flew up my robe.
if I don't check the wire at daylight the heifers relies really fast the can get into my fruit trees and the game department wont do a dam thing about the elk busting fences.
jim

Long pants and boots also work in the morning........:rolf2:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
jim

:yum::yum::yum:
Just having a mental picture of that one. Almost sounds like a Galvi story.:yum::yum::yum:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I got stung a couple times the other day. A big nest under a piece of plywood that was keeping the sun off my snowcat tracks. Mean things with white butts...

Umberto

when getting rid of a nest like that it is best to wait until dark, and hopefully cooler night, then spray the crap out of it with Raid. Most if not all the hornets will be back in the nest by nightfall and if it is cool will not be as active in the nest. At least that is what I was told by an old farmer.

It worked for me. Follow the directions on the can.:smile:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Damn. The little buggars are still in the shed flying around. Looks like they haven't built another nest. The one I knocked down last weekend appears to have come down in one piece and they are still using it. I sprayed it with raid wasp and hornet killer. We'll see this morning how that worked. I can't get my kids atv out of there till I know it's clear.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
A few of the little buggars still flying around in there this morning. I emptied the can of raid in there. I also hung a fake nest to deter them.

dbf37fd73abc254553943239d7408aad.jpg
62a034913ef9cf64fcba63960fd48345.jpg