• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SharkBite plumbing quick-connects

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I finally connected the water out to my building. The pipe has been there for about 8 years but I never put the ends on...

I needed to connect to the 3/4" copper main line in the house. Well, I hate trying to solder connections in general but especially where you know it's constantly going to drip while trying to solder it.

So, while getting my plumbing supplies, I opted to go with the SharkBite fitting system. I'll tell you, they're SWEET!!!!!!!

All you do is push the fitting onto the pipe and you're done. That's it. They can handle 200psi and 180 degrees. For a $1, you can also buy the removal tool. It's a little plastic thing that you put at the end of the fitting and you can pop them back off.

In the pic, these fittings are on the upper horizontal pipe with the valve. The vertical on the right is what feeds the house. I cut that pipe and just snapped in the T. These fittings were also used at the valve and far left of the pipe. The little orange thing is the tool. You just push it on the end of the fitting and the pipe slides right out.

Attachments

• CIMG5031.JPG
    CIMG5031.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 75

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple other things.

I believe there's other brands as well.

It also works on CPVC and Pex.

Watch out for sticker shock...

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Yeh...they're a bit pricey but you can re-use them. I replumbed the house @ the farm. How sweet not to have to sweat....Me and the pipe.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like the stuff we call Pex on this side of the pond. It's nice to work with but still one of the costlier options.

The crimping tools for pex are expensive but with the cost of copper, pex is now cheaper. I had my house re-plumbed in pex last year. Plumbers have never had it so easy.

jwstewar

In the house we are building, we traded copper plumbing w/ conventional water heater for Pex & a tankless water heater. After we're up and running we'll see who got the better end of the trade - us or the builder.

Deerlope

Yea Brian, I started use sharkbite a few ago. Great stuff, there is also a chamfer tool/cutter to bevel the end of the pipe.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Brian, those fittings are sweet. I helped plumb in a Rinnai water heater at a co workers house and we used them for the first time. Nice not having to use a torch or making sure the lines were completely dry.

However, a couple of thoughts.

If by chance anyone uses one of these types of fittings (quick connect of some sort), and you want to use it on a pex job, make sure from the pex manufacturing company that these fittings will not void your pex warranty (some may not know it, but some years ago some pex manufacturers went though a rough time with lawsuits, mostly out west). I do know for a fact that Sharkbite fittings are covered under wrty with some pex manufacturers (one of the few "quick connect" fitting manufacturers that I know of).

Personally, when I use these fittings, I make sure that they can always be seen (not hidden) and you can inspect them WITH EASE. Sharkbite does come with a 20 or 25 year wrty, however, there is "fine print".

FACT is that these fittings have an "O" ring that helps "seal" the connection and assures that no leaking will occur. Well, given time, you know what can happen with "O" rings... (some old timers who I respect greatly in the plumbing business won't use these fittings if you gave them to 'em).

Not sure if you've seen the wrty paperwork, but FYI... (apologies, can't figure out to copy and paste the whole document from my file, although I would think it would be available on the internet).

Limited Warranty [FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]product and/or the person for whom the product was installed and is not transferable to any person, business or legal entity. Subject to the terms and conditions provided below, Cash Acme warrants that each Cash Acme SharkBite fitting (herein referred to as the "product") will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 25 years from the date of manufacture shown on the product (the "Warranty Period"). For any product defect discovered within the Warranty Period and reported to Cash Acme as provided below, Cash Acme in its sole discretion will repair or replace the defective product without charge. This limited warranty extends only to the person installing the[/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]other [/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]Conditions: [/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]limid warranty shall apply only if all of the following conditions are satisfied: The product must be installed by a licensed professional contractor, only in potable water distribution systems and/or hydronic heating systems, and in strict compliance with all applicable plumbing and/or build[/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]instructions, which are provided with the product and also available at www.cashacme.com. The water pressure and temperature for the operating environment in which the product is installed [/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]maximum pressure and temperature limits specified in the installation instructions for the product. The product must be used only with PEX, Copper or CPVC pipe/tubing certified to the following specifications and meeting the dimensions as specified in the applica[/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]B 88); and CPVC (ASTM D 2846, CSA B137.6). All pipe/tubing used with the product must have a smooth surface finish free of gouges, cuts, scratches, tar, kinks, grease, flux, fading or [/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]building codes. The produc[/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]otherwise. If the product is to be installed in a concealed location, the applicable local authority must have[/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]section of the system to be concealed prior to installation and confirmed the absence of any leaks. Any disinfection of the water distribution system in which the product [/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]applicable building code and industry standards for potable water systems. Local authorities an[/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]2. shall never exceed the 3. ble product standard: PEX (ASTM F876, CSA B137.5); copper (ASTM 4. discoloration, and be vertically and horizontally supported, as required by applicable plumbing and/or 5. t shall not be installed if it appears defective or damaged, whether by accident, abuse, misuse, neglect or 6. inspected the system or 7. is to be installed must be in accordance with 8. d Cash Acme shall be consulted concerning unresolved questions or uncertainties about the product fore installation. [/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]be[/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]Exclusions: [/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]limid warranty shall not apply if: [/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]1. Any alterations are made to the product by any person; The product[/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]installation; The product was installed in a hydronic system and any fluids[/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]used in that system; (Mixture should not exceed 50% glycol) [/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]4. The product was installed in any part of a building sewer system; or, The product defect arose out of or in any manner related to: vandalism, negligence, foreign matter in the system, peculiar water conditions, sabotage, acts of terrorism or any other acts or omissions by any person; earthquakes, natural di[/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]weather-related incidents and other acts of God; or any other circumstances over which Cash Acme has no control. Making a Warranty Claim. Cash Acme has no l[/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]itionare satisfied. Any warranty claim must: [/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]1. Be made to Cash Acme within ten (10) days after discovery of the alleged defect or deficiency. Include the allegedly de[/FONT]

[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]adjacent to the product. Include information establishing the product was installed, used and maintained in accordance with Cash Acme Installation Instructions, all applicable plumbing code provisions and the terms and conditions of this limited warranty. At a minimum, any warranty claim shall include the following information related to the system/operating environment in which the product was installed/exposed: system water pressure; system water temperature; date the product was installed/commissioned in the system; location of installation; nature of installation; date product failed; a description of the product failure; and, if the product was installed in a concealed location, proof that the syste [/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]Limitation of Warranty. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF AND CASH ACME HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING, CUSTOM OR USAGE OF TRADE, ALL SUCH OTHER WARRANTIES BEING HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SUPERSEDES ANY OTHER REPRESENTATION OR PR[/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]M [/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SETS FORTH ALL OBLIGATIONS OF CASH ACME CONCERNING, AND THE REMEDY PROVIDED HEREIN IS THE CUSTOMER’S SOLE AND EXCL[/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]W [/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]IN NO EVENT SHALL CASH ACME BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONTINGENT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY ECONOMIC LOSS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DAMAGES OR OTHER COSTS ARISING FROM LOSS OF USE, DELAY, PERSONAL INJURY, LABOR CHARGES, INTERRUPTION OF BUSINESS, NEGLIGENCE, LOST PROFITS OR REVENUE, OR A[/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]T [/FONT]
[FONT=OPEADN+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]A This te 1. ing codes and the installation This te 2. was installed improperly or not for its intended use, or was abused or otherwise misused following 3. other than water or water diluted with alcohol or glycol were 5. sasters, iability or obligation under this limited warranty unless and until all of these cond s 2. fective product, along with a short section of the tubing/pipe connected to and immediately 3. m or section of the system concealed was properly inspected or tested for leaks by the local authority before concealment. OMISE, WHETHER WRITTEN OR ORAL, ADE BY ANY EMPLOYEE, AGENT OR REPRESENTATIVE OF CASH ACME. USIVE REMEDY FOR, DEFECTS IN MATERIALS OR ORKMANSHIP OF PRODUCTS SUPPLIED BY CASH ACME. NY OTHER INJURY WHATSOEVER O PERSON OR PROPERTY, IN CONNECTION WITH THIS LIMITED WARRANTY. pplicable in USA and Canada only. [/FONT]

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I helped a friend of mine do a plumbing project in his bathroom using SharkBite. I love them! I can't seem to find them in Lowes or Home Depot here in Mississippi. My friend lives in Kansas.