• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The team is complete ...... !

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Picked up a trailer today, Red pulled it like a dream. Contractor grade 14K deckover w/dovetail, 22 foot (18+4). The draft team is complete, I'll follow with some pics when the Yote-n-Hoe is on it ............. :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 386

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Now you just need a tractor to go on that trailer. :hide: :whistle: :poke: Ok had to get that in. We just got a trailer just like that at work a couple of months ago. They really pull nice.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome trailer. Are you going to use that setup to make a little extra money or is it strictly for you personal uses?

I drove by a nice used dumptruck for sale a week or so ago. Reminded me of yours. I'd love to have one but have a hard time justifying it. I would like to get something going to help with retirement income, and I'm leaning more to some of the U Store It type of buildings. If this project comes through I'm going to need some major excavation work done. Interested? :D

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been getting more and more request for work and I'll be using it to make a little more on the side. Now I can go more on the outside of my local network. I put the tractor on this morning, no surprises. I'm still waiting on my binders. I was a little worried about lifting the truck on the load but it was uneventful. Soon as the binders get here I'll make a run to the public scales and see what she tops out at, I'm guessing at around 21.5K. Besides loading it by backing it on, any suggestions binding the hoe? If I rest the hoe bucket on the dovetail the boom extends beyond the trailer length. Any one have similar setups they can post to give me some ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 336

Trakternut

Even though the hoe and the loader are part of the tractor, D.O.T. doesn't consider it so.
They'd want you to use two chains on the tractor, another over the loader bucket.
You could set the backhoe bucket flat on the dove tail and run a chain across that as well.
Should make 'em happy....sort of.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good pics. It looks like a beast on that trailer. :thumb:
I've never trailered that type of setup. Hopefully someone else here will have a few ideas.
edit to add .... Tnutz came though with some ideas already. :thumb:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Very nice BD! I hope you never get in any tight corners. I always dread getting my 18 Footer wedged somewhere. :eek:

It would have been nice if you could have done a goose-neck set up but I guess that isn't easy with a dump bed.

Are you going to put a weight distribution hitch on it? I sure noticed better drive-ability when I added one.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice BD! I hope you never get in any tight corners. I always dread getting my 18 Footer wedged somewhere. :eek:

It would have been nice if you could have done a goose-neck set up but I guess that isn't easy with a dump bed.

Are you going to put a weight distribution hitch on it? I sure noticed better drive-ability when I added one.

I believe I'll be very attentive where I put the thing initially ...... :unsure:

The dump truck took out the gooseneck for sure but the dump offers more opportunity for work.

We'll see how she pulls and then address the possibility of a WDS!

Trakternut

Are you going to put a weight distribution hitch on it?

opportunity for work.

We'll see how she pulls and then address the possibility of a WDS!

On setups like that, of which there are many, your weight distribution is accomplished by changing the position of the machine on the trailer. You may find that loading it back or forward a few inches will move enough weight so as to make it a really nice ride and handle well.
You may even find yourself backing the TLB onto the trailer, who knows? :whistling:
Just be sure you're observing state regs as to GAW (Gross Axle Weight) to avoid buying more potholes in highways. :glare:
Also, read carefully the print on your trailer and truck tires and see if you're overloading them. Add air pressure to achieve the max pressure. Might take a few trips across that scale to get 'er done.
Some guys will nail a block of wood down to the trailer bed to run a tire against so they get the machine parked in that sweet spot every time, or paint a mark somewhere.

Oh, as for chaining down; Run your chains down along side the stake pockets, then, up through it and hang the hook on the side of the pocket. It doubles what the pocket will endure as to stresses of tightening the chain.
In a sudden stop, it may prevent the pocket from tearing loose from the trailer bed and allowing your pretty t'ackter from moving on the trailer deck and really making the situation crazier!

That's one :wow: factor you want to minimize as much as possible. Save the scary rides for the carnival, my friend.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
On setups like that, of which there are many, your weight distribution is accomplished by changing the position of the machine on the trailer. You may find that loading it back or forward a few inches will move enough weight so as to make it a really nice ride and handle well.
You may even find yourself backing the TLB onto the trailer, who knows? :whistling:
Just be sure you're observing state regs as to GAW (Gross Axle Weight) to avoid buying more potholes in highways. :glare:
Also, read carefully the print on your trailer and truck tires and see if you're overloading them. Add air pressure to achieve the max pressure. Might take a few trips across that scale to get 'er done.
Some guys will nail a block of wood down to the trailer bed to run a tire against so they get the machine parked in that sweet spot every time, or paint a mark somewhere.

Oh, as for chaining down; Run your chains down along side the stake pockets, then, up through it and hang the hook on the side of the pocket. It doubles what the pocket will endure as to stresses of tightening the chain.
In a sudden stop, it may prevent the pocket from tearing loose from the trailer bed and allowing your pretty t'ackter from moving on the trailer deck and really making the situation crazier!

That's one :wow: factor you want to minimize as much as possible. Save the scary rides for the carnival, my friend.

Thanks for the great info!

wolfman

Weld a chain hook on the back of the hoe bucket, (you will eventually want one there anyway to lift stuff). Lower the hoe just a little, run a chain from one side of the trailer, up to the hook on the bucket and back down to the other side of the trailer, then raise the hoe to tension the chain. This will help with side to side movement of the hoe arm, but I wouldn't use it as the means to secure the back of the tractor. What I use for that, is a chain run through a heavy clevis attached to the drawbar if it has one, (cant really tell from the pics).