• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

is this true?

SShepherd

if not, can anyone supply information that debunks it?

what about any info backing it up as true?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htw7shWR3oU"]YouTube- Obama's Civilian Army is now LAW and is Funded[/ame]

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
You buy this bullshit Shep? Now if you do I have a very big bridge to sell you in San Fransisco.

mak2

We went through most of this a long time ago.

http://factcheck.org/2010/04/obamas-private-army/index.html

Obama’s “Private Army”
April 7, 2010
Q: Did the new health care law give Obama a Nazi-like "private army" of 6,000 people?

A: No. Contrary to false Internet rumors, the new Ready Reserve Corps of doctors and other health workers will report to the surgeon general and be like the "ready reserves" in other uniformed services. They will be used during health emergencies.

FULL QUESTION

I just received an e-mail concerning a section of the new healthcare bill establishing a "ready reserve health corps" of 6,000. Some, Fox News, are saying this is an attempt to erode our freedoms. Should we run to our bunkers?

Obama Just Got His Private Army

Were you aware of the fact that the health care bill created a civilian army?

A Ready Reserve Corps for service in time of national emergency.
All commissioned officers shall be citizens of the United States and shall be appointed without regard to the civil-service laws (which means they will not be sworn to uphold the Constitution) and compensated without regard to the Classification Act 2 of 1923, as amended.

Remember when Obama said he wanted a “national security force”? Not the national guard, but a civilian one that has not sworn to uphold the Constitution?

mak2

I forgot most of it

This e-mail features a prominent reference to something we’ve dealt with before: A July 2, 2008, speech in Colorado Springs by then-presidential candidate Barack Obama. Obama talked there about building up "a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded" as our military force. But the doomsayers left out the context: Obama was proposing strengthening the Peace Corps, Americorps, the USA Freedom Corps and the ranks of the State Department’s foreign service officers.

Despite our efforts, though, some people have been on the lookout for signs of Obama’s "national security force" ever since, and they think they have found it in section 5210 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the health care overhaul recently signed into law by the president. The blogosphere has been ablaze with postings, which, like the e-mail above, often contain references to Hitler, brownshirts, Nazism and the like.

The truth about the new Ready Reserve Corps is a lot less interesting than the conspiracy theories. Before the law was passed, the Public Health Service, unlike other elements of the government’s seven uniformed services, didn’t have a "ready reserve" – a cadre of individuals who could be called up involuntarily in times of need. What it had was a regular, full-time corps of 2,800 doctors, nurses, scientists and other medical professionals, which was the limit under law. It also had a reserve corps. But most of the individuals in the reserve corps, which was larger than the regular corps, were on extended active duty for the duration of their careers; in other words, they worked full-time, just like the regular corps, because they were needed, but the statutory cap prevented the service from bringing them into the regular corps.

The new law eliminates the personnel cap and brings the members of what used to be the reserve corps into the regular corps, which as a result now numbers about 6,600, according to an official at the Public Health Service who spoke to us on background.

And the law creates the ready reserve of individuals who can be called up for service by the U.S. surgeon general in times of need; the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina is often used as an example of an incident that might trigger a call-up.

Officials at the PHS are in the process of developing regulations that will determine how the Ready Reserve Corps is populated, but the person we spoke to said there will be limits on how long individuals could serve on active duty. Those who are activated will be paid for the duration of their service, and the bill provides $12.5 million per year through 2014 for the Ready Reserve.

It’s unclear at this point how large the Ready Reserve will be, but a number in the neighborhood of several thousand has been mentioned. The PHS had been hoping to create the new team for several years, for reasons that may have been best described in a 2008 report, Blueprint for a Healthier America, published by a nonprofit group called the Trust for America’s Health to help guide the next administration and Congress:

Blueprint for a Healthier America: There are not sufficient numbers of public health professionals to respond during major health emergencies, and when Corps members are called away to respond to emergencies, it means their ongoing functions are often neglected. If a “Ready Reserve” program was created, retired members of the Corps could become reservists who could be deployed on short notice during emergencies, or could fill in at federal agencies when active members are needed during emergencies, to ensure ongoing functions are carried out. Reservists would be required to participate in an appropriate number of drills and training throughout the year. Members of the reserve could also help fill in to provide services for underserved communities where health problems are the greatest.

Jerry Farrell, executive director of the Commissioned Officers Association, told us that the Ready Reserve can help the PHS avoid situations such as what happened after Katrina, when so many members of the regular and reserve corps were dispatched to New Orleans and other areas hit by the 2005 hurricane that "the corps discovered, for instance, that they had deployed a whole surgical clinic of the Indian Health Service."

Needless to say (we hope), there is absolutely no support for this chain e-mail’s speculation that uniformed members of the Public Health Service would be ordered to give "lethal injections (a.k.a. vaccinations) to ‘unworthy people.’ "

–Viveca Novak

Sources
Hamburg, Richard. Deputy Director, Trust for America’s Health. Interview with FactCheck.org. 6 April 2010.

Trust for America’s Health. "Blueprint for a Healthier America." October 2008.

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Pub. L. No. 111-148. Enacted 23 March 2010.

Farrell, Jerry. Executive Director, Commissioned Officers Association. Interview with FactCheck.org. 6 April 2010.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys really believe this stuff, dont you?

Did you check my links? One said it was Obama, the other showed evidence its existed for DECADES. So you assume I believe it when I presented a non-credible source affirming it (WND) and a credible source refuting it (hotair). How does that add up to me believing it?

mak2

OK, I read one hot link that affirmed it. I remember once before looking this up and spending a long time trying over and over to convience everyone what the source of the orders was.

SShepherd

Joe, I asked for proof..........not a sarcastic comment..

Thanks Mak, Melensdad....it's still a wash for info proving or disproving it

I honestly couldn't find substantive info, my google-fu seems weak tonight

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I wasn't meant to be sarcastic but if you take it that way I'm sorry as you seemed to be very thinned skinned. It is plain BS just look it up, no such thing except on Fox or other BS news shows..

SShepherd

ok..........

I'm still curious though, where do all these "people" come from? Do they pull these people from hospitols from around the country...what happens there? Do they get paid? how much?

rc2james

Site Supporter
I wasn't meant to be sarcastic but if you take it that way I'm sorry as you seemed to be very thinned skinned. It is plain BS just look it up, no such thing except on Fox or other BS news shows..

I don’t waste my time commenting on posts like this much anymore for the mere fact that someone asks for documented proof that something is false when common sense would answer the question. I didn’t see anything that Joe said to be an insult, but if someone comes up and tells me that the Easter Bunny is real and then wants me produce documented proof that it isn’t, what is someone supposed to think.

SShepherd

I don’t waste my time commenting on posts like this much anymore for the mere fact that someone asks for documented proof that something is false when common sense would answer the question. I didn’t see anything that Joe said to be an insult, but if someone comes up and tells me that the Easter Bunny is real and then wants me produce documented proof that it isn’t, what is someone supposed to think.

blablabla.........whatever

thanks for playing, oh thats right, you didn't contribute anything

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Man oh man.. ya see.. this is why, THIS is exactly WHY some people no longer partake in these discussions!
For a time, things cool down and everybody backs off to a bit of civility, then sooner or later.. a couple of you go at each other with claws out.
Stop making personal attacks Mak. You hate it when someone does that to you, so DON'T do it to THEM.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
.. and Shep, stop acting like an internet thug.. Ron has hardly been on here for quite some time now.

mak2

He picks on everyone that does not agree with him. It runs them off and I find him mildly amusing. I just pointed out the obvious.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I read it Mak, and you talk about people picking on others, well you do the same.. only it's not quite picking.. I don't know what it is you do.
Here's the deal.
You all carry on and type and argue away on topics that have already been discussed ad nauseam. I won't be a part of it any longer.

It's nice when you guys can add truthful posts that are of your own opinion instead of a 6,000 word copy and paste that you can't back up logically.

I miss Cali on here, I miss a lot of people who no longer post.
They haven't been RUN off.. they are disgusted and said they don't give a shit any longer. Neither do I when it comes to playground political fights on a freaking internet forum.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
PG, I am not gonna argue with you about it.
Well, when you guys really go at each other like that.. it breaks my heart.
I like you and Shep both a great deal. Just try and keep it civil from now on, eh?
I'll stop trying to play the bossy assed self-appointed moderator.

mak2

I never get personal first, and unless I agree with things that.............ok PG, anything for you.

SShepherd

actually, I asked an honest quetion in my OP...I carefully worded my OP with no opinion if I believed it or not, I just wanted info either way.

I asked for links, and from there it got "pissy"

if james didn't want to take heat for a comment that didn't answer a the question, he shouldnt have posted what he did. When someone posts a question with out any political bias ( such as the typical, droll, deragatory name calling) I'll try and make an attemt at an honest answer based on what I can find out.

I'm pretty sure if I was responsable for running anyone away from this site, the mods in charge would have let me know.

Mak, you're the last one to criticize anyones debate style-- with your passive agressive comments and attempts to label people who don't believe UHC, and govt. entitlements as ignorant or selfish/greedy.

lol, the idea that I'm an internet thug really makes me laugh...especially when I'm just using their tactics in debate against them.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
if james didn't want to take heat for a comment that didn't answer a the question, he shouldnt have posted what he did.

lol, the idea that I'm an internet thug really makes me laugh...especially when I'm just using their tactics in debate against them.

Settle down Sensei, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.