• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Nuclear Powered tree !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have this tree in the front lawn that I planted from a seedling about 8 years ago . I do not know what kind of tree it is but the damn thing is growing like crazy . It must be close to 40' tall now . Here's the problem .It has started to run roots across the top of my grass lawn , which is a "no no" . I get out and cut all the surface roots I see ,with an ax each year . Yesterday ,it looked like I went into the wood cutting business . Why do the roots run on the surface instead of going down ????? We love the tree for the shade but I want my lawn smooth with no bumps .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Many trees do NOT have a central tap root, they have spreading root systems. I don't know what tree you have, but it obviously is not the type with a tap root! By cutting the surface roots you are slowing the growth of the tree and, potentially, killing it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you post some pics?

The traits sound a lot like a Silver Maple. Beech is another type that does that but don't grow nearly as fast.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Al, sounds like the type of tree I want. Is this in Idaho or California?

PB

This is in California . I don't know what kind of tree it is ,but maybe this will help .
Its made of wood . Has large green leaves that get all over my lawn in the fall and OH yea ... It grows really fast . :yum:

And I was being conservative at 40 feet tall . I bet it is growing 5 - 8 plus feet a year now !

Bob , Ive been cutting those damn roots for 5 years and it still refuses to die .

elsmitro

floppy member
:nopics: Yeah, you definitely don’t want to damage it. When they start the carbon tax (taxing the air we breath) maybe we can get discounts for having mature trees on our property.