• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

TV Stars Join Kirk Douglas to Serve Thanksgiving Dinner to the Homeless

mak2

I could have sworn Kirk Douglas died.

TV stars joined screen legend Kirk Douglas and his wife Anne Wednesday to serve an early Thanksgiving Dinner to thousands of homeless people in Los Angeles. The 95 year-old Douglas -- who lived in poverty as a child -- hosted the event for the seventh year in a row on behalf of the Los Angeles Mission, which is celebrating its 75th anniversary.

The Douglases, who have supported the nonprofit for decades, were joined at the event by LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck and celebrities including Jennifer Love Hewitt, Kim Kardashian, Blair Underwood and Zoe Saldana.

Organizers told the AP they served an estimated 3,000 lbs of turkey, 700 lbs of mashed potatoes, 800 lbs of green beans, 80 gallons of gravy and 600 pies. "What goes into this meal? A lot of love," Chef Dave Thomas told CBS Local News.

According to 'The Daily Telegraph,' over the years the Douglases have been generous benefactors, paying for numerous programs including renovations and a women's center. LA Mission President, Herb Smith, said "Mr Douglas, his father was a ragman, he knows what it's like to be on the street and to be hungry. When he first came to LA, he actually got meals at the Los Angeles Mission, before he was famous. And so, they understand the population that we work with, they have the heart for that."

After the event, Kardashian tweeted "Just left the LA Mission. Met so many kind hearted people! They're [sic] goal is to feed 120,000 people by the end of the yr! We fed so many today."

Love Hewitt agreed, tweeting "The Los angeles mission is a magical place! @kimkardashian is more beautiful inside and out! So fun."

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/11/24/tv-stars-and-kirk-douglas-serve-thanksgiving-dinner-to-homeless/

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Could care less what their political leanings are, that is a good deed for anyone that rolls up their sleeves and step up to the plate to help those in need.

It is not the same as writing a check to a faceless place in order to feel better about it, these guys are up front and see the good they do.

I'm not a fan of Jimmy Carter, but he does get in there and help build homes for those that need it and they (the homeowner) have to put sweat equity into the house as well as make payments (based on their income) so it becomes their home as well, not just a welfare joint, they become home owners.

And yeah, I thought Kirk had passed away years ago after he made a movie with is son! Good post Mak!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good for Kirk. I knew he was still with us, but didn't realize he was 95 :eek: Hats off to him for 'rolling up his sleeves and getting into it" as foggy said. :tiphat: :clap: :clap:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good for him, and I like his first name:biggrin: as well as his movie career, and his humanitarian efforts....

Regards, Kirk