• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2015 Toyota Tacoma 30mpg and 9500 lb towing

grizzer

yeah baby the superman of small trucks

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsQsm7vdrCQ&feature=player_embedded"]2015 Toyota Tacoma - YouTube[/ame]

methinks Santa Maria is too close to the CA wine country...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It sounded more like 30mpg --OR-- 9500# towing capacity.

Not both at the same time.

Small engine = fuel economy.
Big engine = towing capacity.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Might be my next truck, I'd go for the towing capacity option.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll wait for some real reviews. I don't believe most vendors fuel economy ratings.

Otherwise, the Tundra is a nice truck.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Might be my next truck, I'd go for the towing capacity option.

One of the reasons I picked the Touareg. It tows 7700#. Yet it still fits into a parking space in a crowded Chicago parking garage!

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I wish they were required to advertise stopping distance along w/ towing capacities on these small trucks.
Mike

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wish they were required to advertise stopping distance along w/ towing capacities on these small trucks.
Mike

Lemme see. A light tow vehicle and a heavy load attached to the hitch. Think of it this way, a 1 mile long freight train is traveling down the tracks at 50mph. How long does it take to stop that train? Probably about as long as it takes to stop this little truck when there is a 9000+ pound payload.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you would be surprised a good weight distributing hitch and trailer brakes it will likely tow real well. especially the extended cab models with out the equalizer and brakes any thing over 3500 pounds would be a white knuckle ride. these new vehicles are coming with some huge brakes now part of the reason for these big wheels all that brake won't do you a bit of good with out the weight on your wheels to control it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
you would be surprised a good weight distributing hitch and trailer brakes it will likely tow real well. especially the extended cab models with out the equalizer and brakes any thing over 3500 pounds would be a white knuckle ride. these new vehicles are coming with some huge brakes now part of the reason for these big wheels all that brake won't do you a bit of good with out the weight on your wheels to control it.

My VW Touareg weighs right at 6000# and is rated to tow 7700#. I've pulled all 7700# once, and it was, probably closer to 8300# instead of 7700#. It was a fairly short trip, all local/rural roads so I was pretty much the only one on the roadway.

PULLING the weight was not the problem, a good trailer, hitch, trailer brake combination will allow you to PULL over weight pretty easily. But stopping is the challenge. I had a new trailer with upgraded tires and brakes. It still took extra distance and extra time to stop. Never felt like I was not in control but when the load is significantly over the weight of the vehicle (in this case over a TON extra) it is sort of like the "Tail wagging the dog."

The Tacoma is a "compact" pick up truck. It is not as big/heavy as the Tundra.

I'm curious how much the 2015 Tacoma weights? The current 2014 model only has a maximum GVW of 5500#. I would not want to tow 9000+ pounds with a 5500# vehicle.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you are right Bob but the weight distributing hitch will put more weight on all 4 tires in fact reese used to have a commercial where they drove a toranado around a track with the rear wheels off yes stopping distances will be increased with additional weight I bet yours wasn't much more than my 10k diesel truck with thee same weight where the beauty of good brakes and properly set up equalizer hitch comes in is when hills, curves and emergency stops where a trailer weighing more than the tow vehicle might want to push it around.

Bamby

I'm left wondering how you all are setting your brake controller myself. From here it's sounding as if you need to throttle the controller on down some and it takes a bit of playing with the setting to get it right. When I've got mine dialed in on a general slow down or stop situation the trailer brakes are essentially doing all the breaking and that IMHO is the way it should be. I've pulled a lot of trailer miles and have never felt I was overworking the towing vehicles because I relay on the trailer to provide it's fair share of breaking and then some.

When it comes to the Touareg what can I say. You have some of the best breaking and overall German engineering available and if the truth were probably told it would be difficult to find a vehicle to match it's braking ability loaded or empty...