• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Directory Lock software for computer

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Because of kids school projects and such, they need to use my computer now and then (for specific software or printing which may not be available on their computers).

As it stands now, they're not allowed to touch my computer so whenever this situation arises, I have to do all the driving with them looking over my shoulder.

Another issue is the external drive for computer backups.

If I can lock them out by password protect from view/edit/delete directories, I figure they can use my computer and external drive without me there.

Anyone know of a good product? I tried dirlock years ago but although my kids aren't malicious, you can just uninstall it and then all your directories/files aren't protected.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do they have their own logons? If so you can lock the directory in Windows.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to use 'magic dir'. I searched and did not find it any longer so I suppose it's history.

I did a search "lock directories" and came up with quite a few viable options.

Another way would be to make a virtual environment for them. Might be more work up front but sure would be easier to control any / all resources they have available to them. VMware did have a free download for setting up virtual OS's on your workstation.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been doing this for a long time (20+ years self employed).

Save yourself a lot of heartache. Buy the kids their own computer or provide the printing capabilities that they may need on systems they have.

I am not saying anything about your kids, or anyone eases for that matter. "Yhings" just seem to go wrong with computers when kids use them. I really suspect that some of the websites are planting stuff.

If this machine contains your business, then think of the cost as an insurance policy for your customers data. You will be happier in the long run.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been doing this for a long time (20+ years self employed).

Save yourself a lot of heartache. Buy the kids their own computer or provide the printing capabilities that they may need on systems they have.

I am not saying anything about your kids, or anyone eases for that matter. "Yhings" just seem to go wrong with computers when kids use them. I really suspect that some of the websites are planting stuff.

If this machine contains your business, then think of the cost as an insurance policy for your customers data. You will be happier in the long run.
I was going to suggest the same Andy, but figured Brian had considered that. I do agree, especially if it were my work computer I would do all I could to keep kids off of it and buy another tower or laptop for them to use.