• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Comcast Digital Business Phones

Bamby

I am working at a place that has recently installed the Comcast digital business phone system. The reality of the Comcast experience has for the most part sucked, and support is almost nonexistent from the provider.

Anyway this is a computer derived system which runs through cat five cables which in turn run directly into a modem which makes them incompatible with typical phones I'm familiar with.

What I'm needing is a cordless phone compatible for this system / technology for the shop service writer. The service writer often in the requirement of doing his or her job frequently needs to leave their work station and check the status situation of jobs currently being performed in the shop. Sometimes they even need to assist or help shop technicians with some aspects of a job being performed. So they actually need the flexibility of cordless technology to have the latitude do do their job most effectively.

Unanswered phone calls while performing their duties equals both frustrated customers and lost shop revenue both of which is frankly unacceptable.

Is anyone here familial with this system and could suggest cordless technology that is compatible with it? Preferably plug and play I'm actually hoping?

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
The business I just sold used a system that sounds very much like the one you are describing, but our's went through Cox. The beauty of the system (one of them anyway) is that you can unplug your phone, drive across the US and then plug the phone into the Internet and it rings/works just like it was back at the office.

This isn't what you're looking for but I though it was neat. Anyhow, I connected a wireless headset to my phone so that when I went to the back of the office my phone access when with me. Perhaps something like that will work for you?

Bamby

Thanks for the reply and I found something that may work in association with the link you posted. These are their business class phone system which are well convoluted to hell to figure out to say the least but I found a potential solution in reviewing the business class link.

Anyway there is still an underutilized typical old school phone line going to the shop. It was retained and is used for credit card transactions and faxes. I noticed that 'call forwarding anywhere' is a viable option with this phone system. So I'm thinking maybe I can somehow figure out how to get this system to forward the call with an abbreviated message to the other old school line after a predetermined amount of rings, five for instance.

This would allow the use of cheap typically available off the shelf cordless phone that are available anywhere. Otherwise the other potential alternative cordless that may work are "wireless IP Phones" which appear to have a pretty hefty price tag for for potential negligence in handling like leaving it along the service pit and backing a damn truck over it. :ermm:

squerly, This isn't what you're looking for but I though it was neat. Anyhow, I connected a wireless headset to my phone so that when I went to the back of the office my phone access when with me. Perhaps something like that will work for you?

squerly that may or may not work these phones have their own individual IP and are not routed through a computer so I'm not sure of having the appropriate port to plug a headset into. Then there's the hygiene factor at least as far as I'm concerned. I know I wouldn't want to wear or utilize something as personal a headset after someone else. So I'm thinking if it did work it still would involve a personal set for each service writer which unfortunately would also get pretty costly awful fast.