• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker W/Radar, 17 years & 23 snow cats ago

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
June 12th. It snowed about half an inch this morning. Normal for 300 miles North of the Arctic Circle. Yesterday I saw a Tucker with RADAR! Not the kind police use to stop speeders, Navigational Radar like they use on Boats and Ships. It had the little rotating bar like Airport and Boat Radar. I'll definately get a picture next time I go that way.
This Machine also has a GPS and is set up to do rescue work in complete "White-Out", Zero Visability conditions. The radar is so that one can avoid the pipelines and not go off bridges. I have to question wether the operators have full Instrument Flight Ratings as mandated by the FAA for "Instruments" flying, or in this case, "Instruments" 'Snow-Cattin'.

I started work in Alaska Today, in 1994. It was my first day on the job and I was in Anchorage for 5 days of training then went to Fairbanks for another 5 days of training. It was very exciting, as I had never been to Alaska, and they were already into 24 hour days, where it stays light all the time. I think I only owned my one original Red Snow Trac back then. That was 17 years and 23 snow cats ago! Today is my birthday, just turned 58. Today is also Ann Frank's (Diary of Ann Frank) and one of our past presidents, George Bush's birthday.

I'd like to thank Don from Nome for all his input and expertise. Knowlege is accumulative, it actually satisfies a mathematical property, the law of addition. He is rapidly becoming the "Go To Guy" for ST4's. Of course it helps that he has an in depth knowlege of VW's. One cannot overlook that he probably runs his ST4 a longer part of the year than anyone else, or that he goes to more remote places than any of the rest of us have ever seen. Nice Pic's too! For me the best part is that I no longer have to answer dozens of ST4 Questions a week! Thanks, and hat's off to Don!

From "Beyond Oil" by Kenneth Deffeyes: The Petro-Chemical Engineers Fantasy Oil Drilling Rig would be controlled from Houston and have just 2 operators: A man and a dog. The man would be there to feed the dog, the dog would be there to Bite The Man if he messed with the equipment.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Happy Birthday, Lyndon :happybday

That Tucker sounds pretty cool. I'll look forward to pictures .
When I lived on the coast of Maine, there was a marine electronics repair person that had radar mounted on their van. I'm not sure if it worked, though.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Happy birthday! At least you are older than me by a few months. I was in Alaska at the end of July into August and the constant daylight took some getting used to. All the housing at Ft. Rich had blackout curtains for that reason. I would wake up in the middle of the night and it would be light and that was it for me.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Pixie! I really liked your article on the vintage Muskeg, your pretty handy with a camera.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Muleman: I generated an article for a similar website to this forum that is old engines, tractors, steam engines that sort of stuff. It was concering some vintage Oilfield engines and a guy responded from California. Said he was here for the first well drilled, listened to CB type radio traffic while the first Cat Trains went up to Prudhoe in '59, and was here when Alaska became a state. He claimed to be retired. I sent him a link to one of the Forums articles and guessed his age assuming he was quite young when this all happened. He responded that he would review the article when he got back from some job he had to help out with and thanked me for the article link. Acouple days later he wrote again after reading the article after putting in a full 8 hour day at some oil well site, and indicated that he was 82. He is very active on the Smoke Stak forum. I hope I'm still as active when I'm 82!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I always figure the mortician can't catch me as long as I am moving!:whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon Happy birthday mine is comming up on the 13 th i will only be 46 about the same age as you were when you went to work up north.i have to thank you for some of the knowalage i spread around you have been the source of much of it and yes some comes from the school of hard knocks too. some day when i'm rich and the kids are gone i may have enough to equip my st with forward looking infared FLR. i had a good time with you and jim laast time i was down there and may get another trip again soon as our prpane guy wants a flat bed with a boom to lift cylinders if i go down again i hope you can be around again so we can get together again.