• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pressure treated lumber vs. steel question

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm re-doing my 6x12 trailer.

The new pressure treated lumber contains copper and isn't supposed to come into direct contact with steel.

I doubt the amount of copper in the wood could actually do anything to the angle iron on the trailer but want opinions.

I just brushed all the steel with a nice thick coat of Rustoleum. Is that enough protection or should I consider putting something between the steel and wood?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would expect the paint would be enough .... at least for quite a while.
If you have some scrap leather you might wedge that over the angle iron if it would be held tight in place.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You can get this rubberized asphalt tape stuff (Vycor) from a company called Grace. I used it between (almost) all my metal deck fasteners and the PT lumber on my deck. You can buy it at most building places and I think HD is stocking a version of it.

You just unroll it and stick it to the lumber. It might make the fit between the lumber and the frame of the trailer a little tight though as it is a little thick.

I do have some specialty fasteners that I painted instead of using the Vycor. They were older stuff that I wanted to recycle from the previous deck and while they were galvanized they were probably not Galvanized thick enough for ACQ. Anyways, two years so far and I haven't noticed any rust yet.

I used a gate bracing kit from home depot that came with it's own screws. They were just painted black but not galvanized and they rusted like crazy within a matter of months.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys.

That Vycor stuff looks like it would work perfect. Unfortunately, the local store doesn't have it so I just put the wood on the paint. I need the trailer today so I didn't have time to shop around last night.