• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Painting Treated Lumber

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I replaced the roof of my back porch using treated 2x6’s. I need to paint them now and things are not going so well. What is the secret to getting latex paint to stick to treated lumber?

Thanks,
Lawrence

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I have never painted any treated lumber, but I was told you need to wait a year or so before painting so the wood can dry out.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not an expert with paint, but I do know there are different types of treated lumber. Some are copper-arsenic based, some are not. My first course of action would be to determine the TYPE of treated lumber you have. The second thing I would do is go to a paint store with that information and ask for their help.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Not an expert with paint, but I do know there are different types of treated lumber. Some are copper-arsenic based, some are not. My first course of action would be to determine the TYPE of treated lumber you have. The second thing I would do is go to a paint store with that information and ask for their help.
If the lumber was purchased in the last three years at a "big box" store, and is less than nominal 6" minimum cross-section, I would be 99 44/100% certain it is the newer ACQ treated wood, and not CCA.

Q: Is it true that EPA has banned CCA-treated wood?​

As the result of a voluntary settlement between EPA and the registrants of CCA as a wood preservative, the EPA-approved labeling of CCA-treated wood will no longer include the use of the product in residential applications.
Effective December 31, 2003, the use of CCA-treated wood will be limited to certain industrial and commercial applications. This change reflects increased concerns in the marketplace about the safety of treated wood containing arsenate and chromium, particularly in applications such as playground equipment. Residential applications affected by the change include play structures, decks, picnic tables, landscaping timbers, residential fencing, patios, and walkways/boardwalks.
CCA-treated wood has been the overwhelmingly dominant preservative-treated wood in the United States, particularly in residential applications. The applications affected by the CCA settlement are the major markets for treated wood and major markets for the Southern Pine industry. Some applications not affected by the settlement include highway construction, marine (saltwater) applications, utility poles, pilings, and selected engineered wood products.
Additional information on the EPA actions and related information can be found on the following websites:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Industry websites

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/rwu4723/preservation_faqs/ban.html

elsmitro

floppy member
B_Skurka said:
That is an article from last year, it only covers the old style CCA treated lumber. The newer types of PT lumber started to appear on the market about 2 years ago. I believe many of the lumber yards have discontinued CCA.

Does that help the paint stick?

You may not be able to use latex.
"Pressure-treated lumber can also be stained or painted. You should not, however, use latex paints, since they won't adhere well. Your best bet is an oil-based, semi-transparent stain, or you can use an oil-based primer and oil-based paint - here again, talk to your paint supplier for specific product recommendations."
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/outdoorprojects

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As already mentioned, don't use latex.

The best product I've found for treated lumber is Sherwin Williams Deckscape. It comes in colors that can almost look like paint if desired.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
As already mentioned, don't use latex.

What about using an oil based primer, then painting it with latex? The wood has been up and drying for about eight months.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
buckle97 said:
What about using an oil based primer, then painting it with latex? The wood has been up and drying for about eight months.
Although paint has come a long way in recent years, trying to get a latex to stick to an enamel traditionally hasn't work very well.
8 months for pressure treated isn't very long.
I still recommend you look at stains (unless it's too late). Paint will seal the wood and not allow moisture to escape. Stains will allow better breathing and it also comes in colors that look like paint.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
This is a picture of the rafters before I put the plywood down. I just painted the house blue and painted the ceiling of both my carport and front porch blue. I wanted to do the same on the back porch but now I am rethinking that plan. I guess they make a white stain?

Attachments

• rafters.JPG
    rafters.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 37

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
buckle97 said:
I guess they make a white stain?
Yep. And I believe they make blue as well. Take a sample of your blue paint and I believe they can match it in the Deckscapes stain.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I am doing a new deck this year. Iwant the colors to match the house. My solution is home made stain,

1 quart oil base paint - your color
1 quart linseed oil
2 quarts paint thinner = 1 gallon good quality stain.