• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

602 hard to steer

Dirtyjoe

Just got my first snowcat, 1963 Thiokol 602 serial number 25.
It’s really hard to steer, I’ve seen videos of Wetherby’s 601 & looks like it steers easily,any suggestions?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I've got a 603 . Mine turns easy on the road, ice or very hard snow. Beside that pull hard and do it in a hard choppy turn not constant pressure or the brakes will get hot and not steer good. or if it doesn't turn well on any surface could be type of oil, brake adjustment or brake lining glazed or warn out.

Dirtyjoe

Ya I gotta pull really hard but, I’ve only driven it a couple hundred yards out of one dirt drive way to pavement and into my dirt drive way. It’s got some carb issues that I need to work out before I can take it up in the snow. Thanks for the steering advice I would post some pictures but I don’t know how.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya I gotta pull really hard but, I’ve only driven it a couple hundred yards out of one dirt drive way to pavement and into my dirt drive way. It’s got some carb issues that I need to work out before I can take it up in the snow. Thanks for the steering advice I would post some pictures but I don’t know how.

in the dirt they turn hard, mine does too unless your in 3rd gear and moving fast.As for the pictures it took me a while to figure out. Click the paper clip to post attachments is how I think I did it