• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Your Missing Best Buddy II

DAP

Brent, I started another thread with the hopes that you'd see this right away. Time is of the essence.

Here's what I would try. Go to the local police or grab the phone book looking for a trained K-9 unit. The best way to find a lost animal is with another animal, a trained DOG has the best shot.

Thats what I would do. I've read that your friends scent is gonna last generally for about 60 hours ...

Hope ANYTHING works.

:eek:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you. I've put in my 6 hours of looking today with no luck. It's hard not to be bummed at the end of each day. I'm not opposed to any idea put forth. I've honestly implemented about all of them. Hell, at this point, I'd pay my reward fee to someone who gave me the idea that helps find him.

I did have 3 'false' sightings today. At least I feel that people are looking and I thank them sincerely even though they are not fruitful. I am thinking about going to a place tomorrow that sells night vision goggles so I can look better after dark. I've been wanting a pair anyway. Anybody know anything about them?

DAP

Yes, they are expensive if you buy a pair that actually work. Please try and find a tracking dog. I believe its your best shot.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Before I spent my money on night vision, I would look into the "game tracker" devices that are essentially heat sensors. They are supposed to be able to 'see' the heat signature of a deer that is laying down. If they work, and I am not sure they do, it seems to me that might be a better investment to find a dog that may laying down in the brush.

BoneheadNW

Brent, do you have any friends in the local fire department? Most departments carry a thermal imager on at least one of their trucks. Ours is sensative enough to see the handprint on a wall up to 5 minutes after the hand has been removed (from the wall, that is). Sat night we had a report of a possible drowning in the marina and I spent a good part of 2 hrs looking through the thermal imager for a floating body (never found one). It is worth a try asking any of the people there if there is anything they can do. Good luck.
Bone

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I darn near hate to bring this up at a time like this, but today I was at the Veterinarians with my dogs. I was going to have the chips installed in the dogs as a safety precaution. Being that we have been friends for over 30 years, he told me the sad truth about the chips. Seems that there are two competing technologies out there. Each requires its own scanner to read the chip, and there is a third scanner that reads both chips, but most places haven't invested in it. He also told me that there are a few different registries that keep track of the numbers and to the best of his knowledge that they don't share the information. The AKC used to be the only registry, but the manufacturers have now given the recordkeeeping to third parties other than the AKC. He also told me that many of the shelters are not routinely scanning chips and that all of the colleagues that he has spoken to, none of them scan for chips even with new clients. Seems that the whole chip system is breaking down because of lack of participation and interest at all levels.
Dargo, I would keep calling all the shelters to keep the pressure on to find the dog. Given what I have learned today, I hope that this isn't the situation in all areas, but my friend wasn't very positive about the chip identification system. Good luck and we are praying for his safe return ...... Junk...

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Junk. You bring up a good point. Both of our shelters and the our highway department (picks up off roads) have both Avid (sp?) and HomeAgain scanners. I'm told that someone who was an animal lover that passed away a few years ago left money to supply all agencies with both scanners, or the one that scans both. I honestly don't know if they actually have both scanners, or the one that does scan both. All I know is that they have told me that they scan for those two. My dogs have the HomeAgain microship. That is what the vets around here use. I couldn't tell you which would be more popular.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Home Again has a lost pet database and Avid does the same. Both register and track their own chips. AKC started a registry with Home again chips about 10 years ago. AKC also runs a Companion Animal Rescue service where you can list him.

Our County's dog license database has provisions for recording either Avid or Home again chip numbers too.

We used Avid for years and a couple of our older short folks still have the Avid chip. We switched to Home Again several years ago when AKC picked them to support.

Jim