• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Acetylene Bottle Explosion

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Result of leaking Acetylene bottle stored in plumbers van 10-22-09. Accidentally ignited by activating a remote door lock device. Any friends in the industry please pass on.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 138
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 156

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
continued ............

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 158

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:eek: Good pics Dawg. Any word on the guy that activated the remote lock device? How close was he and did he survive?
I wonder how big the acetylene tank was. I have a B size tank, small but handy. I suppose if it sat a while and the gas filled up the inside of the van ....we see the outcome.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would think it took a few hours minimum to build up enough to power that big of a blast. The tanks in the one pic are really standard size tanks for a plumbers torch. Taking the time to shut it off with the wrench would prevent this. The hoses are really prone to leaking as they age and crack.