• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Parking lot accident

mak2

My son and some lady backed into each other in a parking lot. By both accounts, both were backing out and hit each other. Of course the lady declared it was my son's fault and expected a check. I did not see it or any damage to either vehicle, but she said she was taking it to the shop and expected a check. If they both back into each other arent both responsible for their own vehicle.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Was a police report taken, witnesses questioned and/or did you son admitt guilt ? Did they exchange insurance information ? If not ,its a wash . She pays her repairs and you pay yours . If they did ,report it to your insurance Co . ASAP before they get blind sided by the other company and your Son gets his insurance canceled .End of story

mak2

We exchanged insurance companies. no witness and the lady admitted her husband was backing up, she seen him and her husband attempted to get out of the way. That was by her account. Nothing is my sons fault (according to him). Sounds to me like they simply backed into eachother, neither paying attention.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
We exchanged insurance companies. no witness and the lady admitted her husband was backing up, she seen him and her husband attempted to get out of the way. That was by her account. Nothing is my sons fault (according to him). Sounds to me like they simply backed into eachother, neither paying attention.

I would report it to my insurance co. just to be safe and get your Sons account of the accident on record . More than likely she will try to make a issue . Most likely her claim will be denied and each will pay there own damage .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If it happened in a parking lot and not on the street there really is not a thing she can do about it. The law does not get involved in accidents on private property. If you notify your insurer it will go on your record against your policy.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
If it happened in a parking lot and not on the street there really is not a thing she can do about it. The law does not get involved in accidents on private property. If you notify your insurer it will go on your record against your policy.

But Muleman , If she reported it and you hav'nt would it be worst ?Just asking .... I dunno .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Do we have any insurance guys who might be members who could answer this ?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cops wont do a thing about it. But your insurer will hold it against you forever even if they did not pay a dime out.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Cops wont do a thing about it. But your insurer will hold it against you forever even if they did not pay a dime out.

My only thought is if they could cancel your policy for not reporting it , if the lady takes it to her insurance company and it gets reported to yours ?? I honestly do not know . :flowers:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Daughter in law using our suburban of course got hit by a car in a parking lot. Each pointed the finger at the other. Our insurance company was smart. He asked the other person if she was moving at the time of the incident, then asked my daughter in law if she was moving. Daughter said no the other person said yes, case over the other person was at fault. There is not rules nor will the police take a report but evidently the rule is, are you moving, then your at fault.

Just our experience in our State.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter

In NY there is a section of law called unsafe backing. It is enforceable anywhere. (On both public roadways and private parkinglots.) In NY the definition of a property damage motor vehicle accident is damage to anothers property (public or private) as the result of the operation of a motor vehicle.

Check with the local police kinda anonymously and see what the law is there.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
in the state of ak when you have an accedent and the police don't respod or the damage isn't enough to require a uniformmed investigation you are still required to go to the department of motor vehicles and file an accedent report. this does t things keeps you from being blamed for the accedent by default if the other party files their report and also keeps the other party from claiming additional damage you may not have caused.just like in the military if its not on paper it did't happen.