• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow can be dangerous...

nikos

The news are not so good about Michael Schumacher.:sad:

The Medical announcement from the hospital in Grenoble indicate that the situation deteriorated for Michael. I Don't Know anything else.
I hope for the good news:smile:

Regards Nikos

undy

Nikos,

I just heard about Michael's accident last night. Pretty ironic to survive his career and now get injured in this manner.

As a long-time off-piste skier myself, it's sobering. I hit three trees last weekend, and got a big dent in my new helmet.

He's got a lot of folks praying for him around the world. I sure hope he recovers.

Thanks for any news.

Regards,
Paul

undy

Nikos,

Yes, I've been reading all about it online. Sounds like pretty standard care for such an injury. I don't expect we'll hear good news for several days. Hopefully we get no more bad news.

Really tragic to read of the avalanche deaths too. I've been skiing now for nearly 50 years, and I've had more head-injury accidents than I care to (or am able to) remember.

My friends and relatives have all heard me say that if I die with my ski boots on, then I win. People have asked me if I have a death wish, but for me there's no better way to live life than fast on skis. It's still a risk that's worthwhile, at least in my opinion.

It's why I own a snowcat.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Was talking to friend who is an avid rider regarding the two deaths. W/o the facts he speculates they were riding on slopes approx. 45*. In his experience slopes less than that pose little danger, slopes greater than that the avalanche has already occurred, slopes around 45* are just waiting for a fool to rush in.
Mike

undy

The guy on the snowmobile had just gotten an air bag system, but didn't take it with him that day. What a tragedy.

Here's a shot at the ski slope that gave way, after the avi: http://www.jhunderground.com

Looks to be way more than 45 degrees to me, but my God, the size of that thing...

nikos

Paul
As student in the first class in High school i became involved with skiing and climbing (just walking -not climbing in the rocks), but always these kind of accidents, in the mountains, caused by the weather situations or by the human factor, are the facts who shakes me more. Probably because i feel safty in the mountains or I don't feel the danger in these activities.
All of us, sometimes we want to be heroes, and we often take video, ourselves or the others, in high quality images with intense movements in extreme environments, on or off -piste.
I also have a camera (Gopro hero 3), but i am not hero, i am tourist, i dont forget that. The snow, in the winter is a part of my life.
It's tragic, the recent events in the snow mountains. I believed to be connected and some of them, have a direct relationship with the trying to innovate through the video.

Regards Nikos