• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

This is a e-mail i just received with a link to H.R.5175 - Welcome to communist Ameri

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
It is my understanding is that if you give money to any political party, pact or at work you have a right to know exactly who that money comes from that buys political ads and such. It is basically a bill to pass a law that take corporations back out of the business of politics. This would not include labor unions, chamber of commerce etc. and is meant to control foreign corporations from spending money in our political procedures.

Last edited:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
It is my understanding is that if you give money to any political party, pact or at work you have a right to know exactly who that money comes from that buys political ads and such. It is basically a bill to pass a law that take corporations back out of the business of politics. This would not include labor unions, chamber of commerce etc. and is meant to control foreign corporations from spending money in our political procedures.

There are also provisions to require any person who donates more than $10k to the production of a single TV spot to be listed at the end of the ad. There are some similar features for groups, mostly in the format, "I, Joe Blow, Secretary of the Committee to Reeducate Congressmen Regarding the Constitution, approve this message on behalf of that committee."

If I were in the habit of buying elections I'd be upset about this being passed, and even more upset if it were enforced; otherwise, I can't see it being a big deal.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for Your thoughts Joe & DS . I still dont quite understand it but seems to me their protecting the unions for their pown benifit , according to this quote ( The DISCLOSE Act exempts unions and very large special interest groups!! And the little guy is left without a voice. ) :ermm:

loboloco

This is a bill designed to limit or silence advocacy by anyone except the unions or really large advocacy groups. This includes both the Sierra Club and the NRA.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for Your thoughts Joe & DS . I still dont quite understand it but seems to me their protecting the unions for their pown benifit , according to this quote ( The DISCLOSE Act exempts unions and very large special interest groups!! And the little guy is left without a voice. ) :ermm:

Perhaps I can explain the difference between the NRA, Unions or groups like the Sierra club. These are groups of people that have a say in what the group does including with moneys donated to political parties donations, for ads etc. Members aren't forced to give anything or can give it is truly up to them. Now corporations can use their profits to do this however corporations are where banded from doing this until the last SCOTUS session when they overturned this giving a corporation the same rights as an individual. They employees at a corporation have no say in what their bosses do with the profits and may or may not agree with it. Now large oil for example can now literally buy a national election something not even a labor union could do prior. And with out this law they can do it so you have no clue they are doing it at all.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Perhaps I can explain the difference between the NRA, Unions or groups like the Sierra club. These are groups of people that have a say in what the group does including with moneys donated to political parties donations, for ads etc. Members aren't forced to give anything or can give it is truly up to them. Now corporations can use their profits to do this however corporations are where banded from doing this until the last SCOTUS session when they overturned this giving a corporation the same rights as an individual. They employees at a corporation have no say in what their bosses do with the profits and may or may not agree with it. Now large oil for example can now literally buy a national election something not even a labor union could do prior. And with out this law they can do it so you have no clue they are doing it at all.

Are you sure about the bolded above Joe. Sure seems to me during the last election a lot of the union members around here were upset that money being taken out of their checks were going to politicians they did not approve of. It is my understanding that for every hour of work X amount is taken out for Campaign Funds and the members have no say in where it goes. I don't have time to look it up right now but I remember a lot of complaining during the last election.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So corporations can spend their cash however they choose. They can start up a group, any group, like the NRA or whatever and put money into that group and then support any candidate that they want. Seems like there will be plenty of ways for corporate America to hide that they are indeed still behind the curtains pulling the strings.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
That is the idea behind this bill, Doc. It will make them put their name on it regardless so you can go back to who is behind it not just the front group. Now will it work I don't know but McCain tried to do this with his bill a few years ago. The SCOTUS then ruled it unconstitutional and then giving corporations the same rights as single citizens. Now their is also nothing when it comes to international corporations so technically a foreign own company with bases in the US could sway our elections with their money.