• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tuckers in Nashua, NH

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
After pulling the head,freeing up all the exhaust valves, putting the head back on,new plugs, adjusting and filing the points, and a new 6 volt coil i got the little engine purring like a kitten !!!!!!:clap::clap: that is once 50 or so acorns blasted out the exhaust manifold!!! i never even had to touch the carburetor and it set for over 20 years,the tranny and rearend both seem good ,i put into gear and tested them !!!! I am a happy camper so far. My wife has more pictures i will post the as she loads them to the computer. Don

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Heres a few more pictures of the rear axle,and a gutted out pontoon !!

original.jpg

original.jpg

im waiting on some steel for the pontoon bottom,meanwhile i will get the track together and back on the good side. I have to get the gas tank cleaned out and installed along with replacing all the wiring. lots of tinkering to do ,but you get a lot more incentive when the engine is actually running!!:wink::smile::smile:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don what is your finding as far as why it was parked....

suppose it was the pontoon?

Mike

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Peter,who i was in high school with is married to a Glidden,She actually inherited it from her family! they brought it home but never did anything with it.Basically it sat outside in the woods for 20 years. The bottom of the pontoon was so bad that i believe it filled with snow and spread the pontoon which broke all the spotwelds on the internal bracing. The other side is fine. It is this odd shaped pontoon in this picture.

original.jpg

that no one here has seen before. I'm wondering if it was a prototype unit. It probably will be a bit heavier when im done !!:biggrin:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
My little tucker gas tank was full of acorns and mouse nests!!!!:sad::sad: So today it took it to Sanford radiator shop in Sanford Maine. On the way i passed a Tucker parked on a house lawn.:w00t2::w00t2: On the way home i stopped and checked it out,it was a 1980 model 1342 with a chrysler 318 and 5 speed, a front mounted winch, and rubber tracks,the lady that was there said it was her bosses and he owned two tuckers and this one could be bought!! I just thought it was quite a coincidence to find a tucker while taking a tucker gas tank to be repaired !!!!!! For all i know it could belong to someone here on the forum !!!!:clap::clap::clap: Don

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Those little bastards (mice) get into everything! I block off the exhaust tail pipe because if the exhaust valve is open they can make a house right inside the cylinder!!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Don. Dave sent me and email today. I guess he is working with some of the family in Ashland and people who worked on your tucker and the ski tow it was at.

You probably already know the people and spoke with Dave. Hope to get up your way this summer. Maybe I can check it out.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I know Dave does a bunch of work at the woolen mill that belonged to the Glidden family. If you get up this way stop on in !! you can check out some of the heavy iron !:biggrin::biggrin:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Heres a few pictures of the gutted out pontoon,the bottom was shot so i cut it out and started over. Who ever kept repairing it before ,just kept brazing it,:hammer::hammer: i was not a happy camper. i ended up rebuilding the complete subframe ,and am now ready to weld on the stainless steel bottom.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Don, are you sure you got a big enough welding clamp on that pontoon?:w00t2:? course if there was any chance of it getting away,,,, there is the blade of your D9.......:yum:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Steve, The inside braces were all broken loose and i used the little kubota to press it back together to weld. I got rid of all my big dozers ,the biggest i got now is my old D5.i guess i could have used the excavator:biggrin: .I got to tell ya the guys a tucker must have all turned into Alkeys after welding these "TIN" pontoons, a little tack here ,a little tack there !!!!! they had to have been some patient !!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice work ! Looks brand new. You can weld stainless to regular old steel? My house furnace blew the side out this winter and everyone is telling me to repair it with stainless?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice work ! Looks brand new. You can weld stainless to regular old steel? My house furnace blew the side out this winter and everyone is telling me to repair it with stainless?

You need to know what chemical composition the ss is. I have had good success with 309L or 309 LSi rods.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
You can weld different comp of stainless and regular steel,but in a furnace you have to be aware of different expansion,contraction rates ,stainless versus hi carbon steel.:wink:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Heres a picture taken back in the 60's that was sent to me by a Glidden family member, all freshly painted up. To bad it wasn't better quality.

original.jpg

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Heres a picture taken back in the 60's that was sent to me by a Glidden family member, all freshly painted up. To bad it wasn't better quality.

Nice to have the history to go with the machine. Tucker Sno-Cats had a lot to do with the ski industry growth in the early years. Having one defined the area as a ski area. I remember side stepping the local hill after a snow before they bought a Sno-Cat. You had to do the manual packing before they wood let you use the rope tow. Here is that cat the way we found it. Go to the Having a great time thread in the restoration section to see the progress to date.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 313

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Scott,I have been watching that thread!! you guys have been doing a beautiful job of the restoration, Im just doing the flintstone version on mine:smile:. I got my skis done yesterday, had to weld a front spring hanger, and now i took the exhaust,intake manifold off,has a bad crack in it. I noticed the manifold on your Tucker has a side outlet,the pipe must have come out the side,mine goes down and out the back i believe !

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There are side out let manifolds I think but most of the ones on Tuckers have the outlet cut off and rewelded on the side. Not too easy to do on an old manifold which is CI. Got any special tricks for welding on them? Seems like the CI is porous enough to soak up the exhaust gases and fuel over time.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Scott, put the manifold in the barbeque at the tucker picnic, of course after you cooked all the hamburgers and hotdogs, that should cook out the soot and oil....then right after pie and ice cream run some nickel rod over the cracks and chuck it back in the coals..till the next day,,,,,,
just a thought....the bar Braque the miners poor boys heat treating furnace:biggrin:
don't ask me how I know.......

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Welding Cast iron is tricky,especially on exhaust manifolds or woodstoves,anything that has been heated and cooled a bunch of times. I usually pre heat and use cast iron rod,usually non machinable ni-rod works best on manifolds ,weld just a small area ,peen the weld to keep it from shrinking, keep the area hot and weld a small area again,peen reheat,make sure you let the cast piece cool down very slowly,covering the area with a welding blanket to keep the heat in. sometimes it works !!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I second heat and ni rod. Of course second to replacing but we have welded many jd cast exhaust manifolds.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Scott, put the manifold in the barbeque at the tucker picnic, of course after you cooked all the hamburgers and hotdogs, that should cook out the soot and oil....then right after pie and ice cream run some nickel rod over the cracks and chuck it back in the coals..till the next day,,,,,,
just a thought....the bar Braque the miners poor boys heat treating furnace:biggrin:
don't ask me how I know.......

I understand everything you recommend, except how did you know that we make ice cream with a hand crank ice cream machine?

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Probably a White Mountain ice cream freezer! where David Gregg stored his early tuckers!:biggrin: I got all new plexiglas put in the little tucker,along with getting the gas tank back in and a new fuel line hooked up. I have to say its a bit cramped working in the back of a 422 model!! Don

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well i have been working on the tucker a bit,between cutting scrap ,gardening,and refilling the sugar house with wood for next year.:smile: I got the new exhaust manifold and exhaust system on,put a small tractor muffler on the back, got the newly rebuilt pontoon and track back on,made a aluminum deck in the rear to hook 2 more seats down ,made a cushion for the front seat and put marine naugahyde covers over the seats , and scored a couple period 6volt head lights off E-Bay.Basically all i have left to do to make it function is replace all the old wiring,i saved the worst for last!!!:biggrin::biggrin: having vertigo dont make working under a dash in a small area very much fun. Heres a few pictures of where its at right now.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
:biggrin: maybe around November!!! we just got rid of it about 6 weeks ago !!! need to have the garden veggies canned and a bit of hunting season first. There is a antique tractor show nearby in a few weeks and i probably will take it there. I wont worry about scratching it, no restoration ,just a runner !!!!