• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Twin Stick Pappy

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Alright . . . how many of you old timers have driven one of these:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mf6AUbjT-s"]Twin Stick Pappy - YouTube[/ame]

I sure would like the chance to learn - I suspect I would suck pretty bad though. :unsure:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is a sweet old Mack. Drove Korean war era GMC trucks that were twin stick. They were a PITA down shifting on hills. It took a lot of practice to blip the throttle just right to match the ground speed with the gear you wanted. Sure don't miss them.:yum:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i have to admit that the newsuper 10's and road rangers are a lot easyer to drive i still want to find an old twin stick to restore the old twin sticks in the mack 10ton trucks the military had almoste required the engine brake to slow the 904 down enough to make a shift.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
That is a spicer 5/4 ....Drove a B-52 mack with a 220 cummings with a set of boxes like that.....If you raised your hand to wave...chanses are you were lugging it!!!!!!Halled raw milk around baltimore and often made the trip from baltimore to newholand Pa.....right up goat hill.......after about a year the co got all new[then] 5 speed maxidines...with the gold dog and all.....after the spicers those maxis would drive you nuts!!!!! what to do with your right hand:hammer: Yep been there done that!!!!! one thing you never wanted to do with the spicers ...was get both boxes into neutral..........cause all you could do is come to a complete stop.....not very handy on the side of goat hill.....or for that mater in down town baltimore!!!!!!done that to......

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I drove a early 70's vintage Mack R model with a 5X3 Mack gear boxes. It was hard to remeber where you were at in the sequence, if say you needed to slow down and shift down, more than a couple of gears. Just had to remeber when you're down to first on the left stick, you had to shift the auxuilary box at the same time. Just as was mentioned with the Spicer boxes, you didn't want them to both land in neutrual with the clutch out...

Thankfully we traded it for a Ch 613 with a Eaton Fuller 10 speed and air ride. I thought I had died and gone to heaven...:biggrin:

Regards, Kirk

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Was told that the 5/3 was harder to get used to because of the wider spread ......the B searies was 50s into the 60s as I remember .....the but you could find them eith about any engine/trans combonation.....the maxies came out in the early 70s ....the silver dog was a 6cylender and the gold dogs were V8s....soon after that I came back to Kansas...drove mostly petes and kittys..with 425 cats with 16 speed road rangers..hauling cattle,in and out of feed yards....the 16s were a single stick with a high/low on the side and a flip/flop cap on top....real smooth operating box....the main thing with that setup those 425s were turned up fairly tight.and if you didnt watch the heat real close....and happened to lose a lower radiator hose..that engine was toast..almost instanty!!!!!!