• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why does Lowes need my phone number to sell me a $1.98 gasket?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I pay cash. I despise the "self checkouts" because I'm about 0 - 50 with them working without actually having to get the clerk off their stool to come fix some error with their machine. Therefore, I generally go through the lane with a real person. The last few times I've noticed that they ask for my complete name and phone number regardless what I'm buying.

I was told they ask my name for the warranty. On a $2 gasket?! I'm not buying that story. Then why do they need my phone number? Today, just because, I decided I wasn't going to give it since I was paying cash for a small ticket item that would have no warranty. The clerk glares at me and says "Is your number unlisted or something?". To which, I simply responded "No, it's not unlisted but I'm not going to give you my name or number. Do I need to go to Home Depot to buy this gasket?"

She then had to call a manager; saying a manager had to 'over-ride' the system to ring up my sale and take my money. Not mad, but annoyed, I just handed it back to her and said "Keep it. I'd prefer my name to not be on your list when you sell it." I then drove across the street to Home Depot and bought the gasket and was not asked any personal questions for a $2 sale.

I know, it's no big deal, but why do they need to know my name and phone number to sell me anything; especially when I'm paying cash for the item? I have noticed that if I get a prescription filled at Walgreens, I'll start getting spam for that drug and all sorts of similar, and not so similar, drugs within 24 hours. There's no way they aren't selling their customer list. I'd prefer to be left to my own accord to decide what I want to buy and where I buy what I want without having my spam box fill up after each trip to the store.

Anyone else notice this? Does it bother anyone else? I just don't think it's any of their business to begin with and the list goes down hill from there.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You should have asked if they were going to give you a prostate exam with all the info they wanted.

tom

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes sir! There was a Dominoes pizza joint here a while back.
I walked in and up to the counter to order a pizza.
Phone number? I thought about it - They don't need that! -and said: "I have no phone number"
The employee was dumbfounded! Apparently - the info entry system did not have an option for that. So he had to get a manager. The Manager said: "We need a phone number so that we track how many pizzas you order - and then give you a free one, after so many purchased." I said: "I'm not interested in getting a free pizza. I just want to pay for this one." Manager said: "Can you give a phone number of a friend? That will count twords their free pizza."

WOW!! Good thing I was 100% sober!

Otherwise I would have gone off on them.

(as a side note - My kids were tugging on my arm saying Daddy we have a phone.)

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
when they ask if they can have my number I say "no thank you"
if they insist on a number I tell them "555-1212" which used to be AT&T's line test number.

jwstewar

Actually I don't mind them asking for a phone number at all. It is no different than using one of the shoppers cards at Kroger, Speedway, or where-ever. But at least Lowes uses it for a practical purpose to help us out as well. If you need to return something, you don't have to have a receipt. They can look it up by phone number. We keep all of our receipts in the file cabinet for tax purposes (sometimes we deduct sales tax instead of state tax), so at least I don't have to go hunting a receipt - especially if it is something that I didn't get around to using for a few weeks or something that had a 1 year warranty and it crapped out in six months.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Donald duck same as my computer is registered to MS. For a phone number I give them the local phone co number.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Actually I don't mind them asking for a phone number at all. It is no different than using one of the shoppers cards at Kroger, Speedway, or where-ever. But at least Lowes uses it for a practical purpose to help us out as well. If you need to return something, you don't have to have a receipt. They can look it up by phone number. We keep all of our receipts in the file cabinet for tax purposes (sometimes we deduct sales tax instead of state tax), so at least I don't have to go hunting a receipt - especially if it is something that I didn't get around to using for a few weeks or something that had a 1 year warranty and it crapped out in six months.

A phone number is as unique as a SS#

XXX XXX XXXX <-- phone number

XXX XX XXXX <-- SS #

Makes me wonder.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was getting my lovely wife something from Bed and Body Bath one time when this really nice looking girl asked me for my phone number. I told her yes right after she gives me her's. She said she could not do as she gave me "Are you a pervert look". I told her there is no reason she needed my number and she said she couldn't ring up the sale without a number. I told her to just put hers in there. It was Christmas Eve I didn't have a lot of time so I made one up. I have not gone back in there.

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
They ask for my birthdate..buying beer...I told her 9-12-86...she said i looked like a rough 24 yearold..my real birthdate is 9-12-56..Why should it matter...if over 21...

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
The people behind the registers are frequently brain dead anyway.

I give them Steve Zelinski for a name.

Big@reddog.com is my email.

56 Main st Wharton NJ for an address (a drain culvert)

Phone number is always random generated.

So many places lately are asking for cell numbers. Way too personal.

Lia

Banned
If everyone refused to give their number, or gave a false number, the stores would soon get the message. Personally, I am extremely (I'd go so far as to say ultra) adverse to giving out any personal details, having always been very reserved and reclusive.

There is no way in hell I would give a store my personal numbers, cell, landline, etc, and furthermore, nor would I give out my email addy, not even my msn ones. Whenever it is asked for when I shop online, or even if I am just getting a quote, I always type in someone@somewhere.com and it's never failed to work.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
If everyone refused to give their number, or gave a false number, the stores would soon get the message. Personally, I am extremely (I'd go so far as to say ultra) adverse to giving out any personal details, having always been very reserved and reclusive.

There is no way in hell I would give a store my personal numbers, cell, landline, etc, and furthermore, nor would I give out my email addy, not even my msn ones. Whenever it is asked for when I shop online, or even if I am just getting a quote, I always type in someone@somewhere.com and it's never failed to work.

Hey Lia! thanks for posting your email addy! I just sent you an important question. You can reply with your answer to: youprobablydidn'tgetmyemail@itdoesn'tmatteranyway.com :w00t2:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

Oh, something you said reminded me; they wanted my home phone number as well as my cell number. WTF? I just changed one of my kid's cell phone numbers due to 'kid' issues and about half of her text messages in the last month have been stuff like "Hey, wut up bitch. U goin tu Janiqua's party tonite?". This is pissing me off too because AT&T won't give me credit for the BS messages intended for whoever had the number last. I assume they are turning numbers much faster than they used to. I probably shouldn't post what I replied to some of the rude texts she has shown me that clearly are not from anyone she knows. Let's just say I've given them very sexually explicit promises and where and when to meet me for the act. :whistling: :yum: Obviously, I delete these responses off before I give the phone back to my daughter.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
radio shack has been doing this since the 80,s , i never had received a call from them though , but they did mail catalogs out . :unsure:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Phone number is always the local police, and zip code is 90210. It's just an underpaid pawn running the register compiling data for some smart-ass marketing dork who instructs his underlings to SPAM the shit out of your phone. Not so sure how the cops like it, but they can get their number removed easier than my number. I bought a garage door opener at Sears yesterday and the girl asked for my phone number. I said no, and she said it was for the extended warranty. I said I did NOT buy an extended warranty, and that they did not need my phone number. If I had a problem I would call them, unless they has ESP. She called a manager over who went through the same spiel, to which I gave the same answers. She finally put something into the register and I was able to leave with my purchase. Since the economy sucks, these companies are resorting to whatever means necessary to drum up sales, and do it at our expense using deception. I think I'll start giving them the White House phone number...202-456-1414

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I just look at them, smile, and say I'd rather not. Nobody has given me a problem or copped a cop attitude about it with me.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
867-5309

"Jenny I got your number..."

It works on the west coast at Safeway grocery stores for their "club card" discounts.

Lia

Banned
...or, one could always give them the number of their own head office! I mean, how many cashiers know that number? :wink:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Br-459 ... Jr. Samples from He-Haw.

I've tried that. At Tractor Supply, they laugh and know what I'm talking about.

At other stores, the clerk does a "HUH?". Kids... They missed the good stuff.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Went to Harbor Freight & Garbage this afternoon to return some crap I bough that did not work, and was bombarded with questions of name, address, telephone, e-mail (do you believe that???? e-mail???) So remembering this thread, I said to the clerk that I walked in here with a $20 bill, bought something for about $14, and walked out with my change. No 40 questions, they just took my cash and sent me on my way with my item and change. Now that their item has not performed as advertised, I expect the same treatment...give me my $14 bucks and let me go on my way. He wasn't buying my story so he called a manager who had more bullshit about why my personal information was soooooooo important to the company, and that they may call me to see if the transaction went smoothly. I asked if he was refusing to give me my money back, and he said he could not do that without my personal information. I grabbed my item, receipt & bag, and walked over to the checkout line, and announced to the patrons in line that Harbor Freight refuses to return defective items without a litany of questions of personal information. One guy asked the manager if that was so, and he said yes. The guy put his stuff down and walked out. Another patron asked the manager why that was so, and he said it was corporate policy. That patron put he stuff down and started to walk out (I couldn't believe this was happening) when the manager said that he would refund my purchase with no additional questions. I took my money and left, and I've made my last purchase at Harbor Freight & Garbage.

For a $14 purchase, this outfit is mining tons of personal information that I cannot be certain is not being sold without my knowledge. Maybe I should try telling these clerks that I'm living in my truck with the dog, and don't have a phone or e-mail address. I think I'll try that next time and see what happens.