• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Can anyone explain : Girl Logic???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can anyone please help me out and explain GIRL LOGIC, or perhaps the more developed form: WIFE LOGIC?

I ask this in all sincerity as I was watching my wife coach the girl's volleyball team at our elementary school yesterday and some of the girls didn't get much play time. This is in a league of 10-11 years olds and they are actually mandated by rules to substitute.

So here is how it goes, a team has 6 players on the court. My wife is coaching 11 total girls. So she has almost 2 complete teams. For the 1st game in a best 2 out of 3 series, they have a mandated substitution at the 4 minute point. So she starts with 6 girls, and at 4 mintues she subs in the 5 remaining, leaving the "best" player to play the full 8 minutes or to 15 points. That works, each girl gets to play roughly 1/2 the game, except the 1 who gets the whole game.

For game 2, they do the same thing but there is no mandated substitution. Ditto game 3.

Sometimes the games only last 5 minutes! Others last 10 to 15.

So what happens is that in actual play, some of the girls may only play 4 minutes, especially if they are up against a much better team and only 2 games are played and both are 'wipe out' type games. This leads to little girls who cry.

So being a logisitcal type of guy, I suggest something different. I suggest they follow their gameplan for game 1.

But for game 2, I suggest that they play 2.5 minutes and call a time out. At the time out, they take out their 3 worst players and leave in 3 good players. The 3 who go in should be the 3 remaining good players giving them 6 good players on the court (which hopefully will extend the game in their favor). The 6 good players play for 3 minutes and then they call time out again. For the last 2.5 minutes they pull out the original 3 players that started the game and put in 3 of the lesser quality players.

My logic is all the poor quality players play 1/3 of the game. All the good quality players play 2/3 of the game. The chances of them winning increase because for 1/3 of the game they have all 6 of their top players on the court.

For game 3, if there is going to be a game 3, then they can either go back to their game 1 substitution plan only reversed with the ending girls from game 1 starting in game 3, and the starting girls from game 1 ending game 3.

Seems to simple.

The part that scares me is that the season is already 1/2 over and not one of the coaches (there are 3, my wife being head coach) and not one of the other involved parents could figure out any solution to playing the girls.

So why can't girls think the way we do? When was the last time you saw a guy cry in a sporting event that didn't ivolve several broken bones? ;)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Can anyone please help me out and explain GIRL LOGIC, or perhaps the more developed form: WIFE LOGIC?

Bob, I'm surprised you even tried to understand "girl logic". It is something that has baffled mankind since the beginning.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we had another volleyball match this afternoon.

They used my player rotation model. Today all the girls got to play and all the girls shared in the horrible beating the other team gave them. So while yesterday 1/2 the team was upset that they didn't get to play in the second game, today the whole team is mad that they took a whoopin!:(

BoneheadNW

Which brings me to my conclusion about the female gender. No matter what you do, no matter what you say, especially in response to "How do I look in this outfit?", you are going to say/do the wrong thing. It was not until I got married that I understood why my dad puts the "blinders" on when my mom rants at him. There is nothing you can do but smile and walk away. Is that what they call "Taking it like a man"?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
If your out in the woods all by yourself, and talking to yourself, are you still wrong??? I would be willing to bet I am??

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
...especially in response to "How do I look in this outfit?", you are going to say/do the wrong thing.

Hmmmm....."no dear, that dress doesn't make you butt look big, your butt makes the dress look big."

:eek::eek:

Dave

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
DaveNay said:
Hmmmm....."no dear, that dress doesn't make you butt look big, your butt makes the dress look big."

:eek::eek:

Dave

"no dear, that dress doesn't make your butt look big, your butt makes the dress look small!!!!! :D :rolleyes: :D

LBrown59

Banned
B_Skurka said:

I ask this in all sincerity as I was watching my wife coach the girl's volleyball team at our elementary school yesterday and some of the girls didn't get much play time. This is in a league of 10-11 years olds and they are actually mandated by rules to substitute.

So here is how it goes, a team has 6 players on the court. My wife is coaching 11 total girls. So she has almost 2 complete teams. For the 1st game in a best 2 out of 3 series, they have a mandated substitution at the 4 minute point. So she starts with 6 girls, and at 4 mintues she subs in the 5 remaining, leaving the "best" player to play the full 8 minutes or to 15 points. That works, each girl gets to play roughly 1/2 the game, except the 1 who gets the whole game.

For game 2, they do the same thing but there is no mandated substitution. Ditto game 3.

Sometimes the games only last 5 minutes! Others last 10 to 15.

So what happens is that in actual play, some of the girls may only play 4 minutes, especially if they are up against a much better team and only 2 games are played and both are 'wipe out' type games. This leads to little girls who cry.

So being a logisitcal type of guy, I suggest something different. I suggest they follow their gameplan for game 1.

But for game 2, I suggest that they play 2.5 minutes and call a time out. At the time out, they take out their 3 worst players and leave in 3 good players. The 3 who go in should be the 3 remaining good players giving them 6 good players on the court (which hopefully will extend the game in their favor). The 6 good players play for 3 minutes and then they call time out again. For the last 2.5 minutes they pull out the original 3 players that started the game and put in 3 of the lesser quality players.

My logic is all the poor quality players play 1/3 of the game. All the good quality players play 2/3 of the game. The chances of them winning increase because for 1/3 of the game they have all 6 of their top players on the court.

For game 3, if there is going to be a game 3, then they can either go back to their game 1 substitution plan only reversed with the ending girls from game 1 starting in game 3, and the starting girls from game 1 ending game 3.

Seems to simple.

The part that scares me is that the season is already 1/2 over and not one of the coaches (there are 3, my wife being head coach) and not one of the other involved parents could figure out any solution to playing the girls.

So why can't girls think the way we do? When was the last time you saw a guy cry in a sporting event that didn't ivolve several broken bones? ;)

are they still loosing?

working woman

Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
Which brings me to my conclusion about the female gender. No matter what you do, no matter what you say, especially in response to "How do I look in this outfit?", you are going to say/do the wrong thing. It was not until I got married that I understood why my dad puts the "blinders" on when my mom rants at him. There is nothing you can do but smile and walk away. Is that what they call "Taking it like a man"?

hmmmmm, Whats this???? some gentle female bashing???

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I will disagree with both of you.

At ages 10 and 11 years old, children are capable of learing that life does not hand out gifts to the losers. They are capable of understanding that those who excel are those who get more play time. They also clearly understand that winning is more fun than losing and even the children who are not the better players appreciate winning. The concept of putting the good players in for longer play periods also teaches teamwork.

Last time I checked when kids grow up without understanding that they have to put forth greater effort to get ahead then they just end up working at the drive thru window asking questions like DO YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT?

Life does not reward those who do their jobs. Life rewards those who do their jobs outrageously. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Brent Farve, Don Shula, Mike Ditka, Donald Trump are folks who didn't just do their jobs from 9 to 5 and then forget them. Children need to learn about these folks and many others who do more.

MadReferee

As a sports official who as officiated primarily basketball and soccer along with some baseball/softball for age groups from U-8 thru college division 1, I have only one question for you.

How are the parents taking all this?

The biggest problem with youth sports is the parents. The kids will always get over it, winning or losing. The parents never will.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can only speak for our little school team but there were ZERO complaints from the parents.

Gatorboy

B_Skurka said:
At ages 10 and 11 years old, children are capable of learing that life does not hand out gifts to the losers. They are capable of understanding that those who excel are those who get more play time.

At that age, most are still learning the game and how to play it properly. Those that need to improve should actually have more playing time.

Until kids hit high school when you have Varsity and Junior Varsity sports, all kids should play the same amount and also play all positions (now talking baseball, etc). The purpose of rec-leagues is to teach -- and all should be taught the same -- through game experience.

elsmitro

floppy member
If THE CHILD wants to play more there parents should be more involved in the child’s interest. They should practice with them and build their skill level. If the child does not want to practice that much the parent should find something the child would be more interested in or has a knack for. If all that fails become a coach and play your kid all they want. Not even the kids want to be on a losing team.
To explain logic there must be logic. :confused2:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
elsmitro said:
If THE CHILD wants to play more there parents should be more involved in the child’s interest. They should practice with them and build their skill level. If the child does not want to practice that much the parent should find something the child would be more interested in or has a knack for. If all that fails become a coach and play your kid all they want. Not even the kids want to be on a losing team.
To explain logic there must be logic. :confused2:
:a1: I totally agree!!!

My kid is a marginal athlete (she got her skills from me). She also has marginal interest. She enjoys playing but would be just as happy doing something else.

Last year she was on the LAST place team and played a little bit. This year she was on the league championship team and played a little bit. I can tell you she had a hell of a lot more fun this year!!!

caeryon

B_Skurka said:
My kid is a marginal athlete (she got her skills from me). She also has marginal interest. She enjoys playing but would be just as happy doing something else.
Okay, I've come into this discussion late because I haven't been here on the board much lately. Of course, the subject line on this thread piqued my interest! LOL If your daughter "would be just as happy doing something else," why isn't she doing something else? I can't imagine anyone, child or adult, who wouldn't rather be doing something they have a passionate interest in (and hopefully at least semi-decent skills at doing) than something in which they have only a "marginal interest." Just me being nosy, I guess.... ;)

I have to agree with Gatorboy. It's the kids who need to improve their skills who need the most playing time. Unfortunately, that usually does lead to short games with unhappy endings. But the ending is going to be an unhappy one for 50% of the kids in a game anyway; somebody's going to have to lose. It always seems to me as if it's the players' parents who care the most about whether the team wins or not. I think that kids need to learn that if they work hard and practice, not only will their own performance improve but so will the team's. If you're only playing the team's "superstars," the kids warming the bench will never learn what they can do. Maybe it will turn out that they can't do diddleysquat without falling over their own feet, but that's a worthwhile lesson, too. Putting the emphasis on winning rather than on learning how to play as a team seems counterproductive at best, especially at that age.