• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

17 ambulances (and counting) sent to local High School

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a cigar lounge on the main highway about a mile away from a local rural high school. They have counted 17 ambulances go past the store heading to the high school. A lady who works in the shop next door to the cigar lounge has a child at that high school, she got called by the school and told that her daughter was being taken to the hospital.

I'm at my office in Merrillville (1/2 way across the county from that school) and there is a fire station behind my office. The 2 ambulances from here were dispatched down to the school a few minutes ago.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
UPDATE:
Hanover Central High School dismisses early due to odor
Story
Discussion
By Times Staff | Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 11:00 am | No Comments Posted

Students at Hanover Central High School were dismissed at 11 a.m. today because of an odor of undetected origin, a spokesman from the administration office said.
No other information is available at the time. Check back with nwi.com for further details as they become available.

WVBill

I guess I just don't know what to say about a world in which a "smell" needs to generate such a response. Not faulting the response, just sad we've gotten to where we are.. :sad:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thoughts & Prayers sent your way for any & all who may be involved . Bob

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It just made the Chicago news, they are reporting a "toxic leak" at the school.

Not sure of the source.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I guess I just don't know what to say about a world in which a "smell" needs to generate such a response. Not faulting the response, just sad we've gotten to where we are.. :sad:

Chemistry Class ...... They did it every year when I was in high school . Talk about stink !

WE were not sent home , just smelled bad for a few days

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From Chicago's Channel 9 News:
CEDAR LAKE, Ind. - There are reports of students overcome by some sort of exhaust fumes at Hanover Central High School. The high school is located at 10120 West 133rd Street in Cedar Lake, Indiana.

WBBM radio is reporting that up to 60 students may have been overcome by the fumes. This information is not yet verified.

Cedar Lake is about 10 miles south of Crown Point in Lake County, Indiana.

More details to come.
Copyright © 2010, WGN-TV, Chicago

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cold but no snow other than what is on the ground.

The furnaces would be Natural Gas, not oil. No indication of a N.G. leak, those are very obvious and the smell is very familiar to most folks around here so they would have said pretty quickly if it was NG. Apparently the smell is something stinky, so that also rules out Carbon Monoxide, which is odorless and deadly.

Reports differ on the number of kids taken to the hospital.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the latest version from the local newspaper:
47 Sickened at Hanover Central HS

By Times Staff | Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 12:05 pm | (8) Comments
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

CEDAR LAKE | Forty-seven people from Hanover Central High School were transported to local hospitals Friday morning as a result of an odor of undetected origin in the school, according to officials on the scene.
The remaining students were dismissed at 11 a.m., a spokesman from the administration office said.

Ambulances as far north as Highland and Schererville responded to the scene, transporting multiple people at a time to area emergency rooms, according to reports.

Twelve students ranging in age from 14 to 19 years old and one adult are being treated at St. Anthony Medical Center emergency department in Crown Point, according to the hospital's Web site.

None of the students had been admitted to the hospital as of noon, according to the Web site. Treated symptoms included various degrees of nausea, vomiting, headache and shortness of breath.

Nine people are being treated at St. Margaret Mercy Healthcare Centers in Dyer, spokeswoman Linda Barenie said.

School administrators have scheduled a news conference for 2 p.m. to discuss the situation.

Check back with nwi.com for further details as they become available.​

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Bob.......Hope for the best for the students & that it's nothing more than a prank with something like this :'Liquid ass

Keep us up to date.........I hope it isn't anything serious.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like it was a leaky NG valve on a stove in the home room class . Glad it wasn,t more serious . sounds like all are OK .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup that is the official word from late yesterday afternoon.

It also surprised many of us because the gas company here puts an odor agent into the natural gas and everyone (at least every adult) is familiar with that smell. It seemed very odd that they would go for several hours and nobody knew what the odor was before it was finally identified as Natural Gas. The school is located in a community powered by Natural Gas, but many of the more rural residents would have propane instead, still I'd guess that 70+% of the students and teachers should have been very familiar with the odor of N.G.