• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

'Doctors Without Borders' on the ground in Haiti

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
On the news all I've seen is people waiting for help. Here is a story that needs to be told - an international medical group already there who began work immediately.

Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization. They have already been in Haiti 19 years. Their 60 bed surgery in Port-au-Prince was hit hard so the staff, 800 local/30 international moved outdoors and began treatments immediately. A reinforcement convoy arrived overland from the Dominican Republic on Friday 1/15.

Haiti: MSF Treats 2,000 Patients; Working to Expand Surgical Capacity
Jan 15, 2010

In Haiti, MSF Treats Earthquake Survivors
Jan 16, 2010

Haiti: MSF Surgical Activities Are Non-Stop; Needs Remain Huge
Jan 16, 2010

Haiti-52621b.jpg

Haiti-52639b.jpg

I am a little familiar with MSF; they were operating in some of the same areas as Peace Corps. I was incredibly impressed with the dedication of their volunteers (from all over, mostly France) and their ability to provide world class emergency trauma care under apalling conditions.

I am enormously proud that one daughter's Christmas present to us this year was a contribution in our name to MSF.

Please consider donating to them to support their continuing medical mission in Haiti, and in other backwaters that nobody ever heard of. I think of them as living saints.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

I am enormously proud that one daughter's Christmas present to us this year was a contribution in our name to MSF.

Please consider donating to them to support their continuing medical mission in Haiti, and in other backwaters that nobody ever heard of. I think of them as living saints.

That is wonderful Chris!

I did donate to them, yesterday, in fact on the US donations page :thumb:
I think they are supposed to send updates via email of the relief effort going on in Haiti.
It was either donating to them or the Red Cross, I chose them.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
George Bush and Bill Clinton spoke about their mission today. Good folks working in hellish conditions to save lives.