• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking at a Thiokol 201

I'm on the fence about this 1963 Thiokol 201. I will be using it around Whistler BC. where we have groomed trails to the alpine. It has a 70's 351W Ford V-8 and an automatic transmission, with some taller grousers...adding up the weight to around 5000 lbs. I think they were 4000 lbs stock with the original motors? I'm told it's pretty fast, maybe 30 mph. With the V-8 in the back and those fairly narrow tracks, do you think this machine will climb a hill to the alpine well? I'm not expecting it to be the ultimate mountain cat, more interested in it's character, but don't want a total surprise when I go on it's maiden mountain voyage. I'm guessing the engines were moved to the front of the newer Thiokols to keep the nose down? Like a snowmobile... think this beautiful machine be absolutely useless in the mountains? Anyone have any experience with these units? Thank you !

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm on the fence about this 1963 Thiokol 201. I will be using it around Whistler BC. where we have groomed trails to the alpine. It has a 70's 351W Ford V-8 and an automatic transmission, with some taller grousers...adding up the weight to around 5000 lbs. I think they were 4000 lbs stock with the original motors? I'm told it's pretty fast, maybe 30 mph. With the V-8 in the back and those fairly narrow tracks, do you think this machine will climb a hill to the alpine well? I'm not expecting it to be the ultimate mountain cat, more interested in it's character, but don't want a total surprise when I go on it's maiden mountain voyage. I'm guessing the engines were moved to the front of the newer Thiokols to keep the nose down? Like a snowmobile... think this beautiful machine be absolutely useless in the mountains? Anyone have any experience with these units? Thank you !

I think that's a lot of hp for a OC 4 differential! And with the auto and a heavy foot would lead to certain differential death jmo

I think that's a lot of hp for a OC 4 differential! And with the auto and a heavy foot would lead to certain differential death jmo

If the diff exploded, could I upgrade to an OC-12 on a that model? I assume thats going to weigh more too. PSI is already an issue

brianf

are you going to have to trailer it after using? I have run machines in area for a long time and the wet deep snow with steep inclines will stop most machines, find a machine with wide tracks, but you need the power to move them, talk with some of cat ski operations in area,they may be able to steer you in right direction

are you going to have to trailer it after using? I have run machines in area for a long time and the wet deep snow with steep inclines will stop most machines, find a machine with wide tracks, but you need the power to move them, talk with some of cat ski operations in area,they may be able to steer you in right direction

Thanks Brian. Yes, I know I ultimately need a C model Spryte. Wide load permits... and more money. Then a 201 shows up on CL and I get the fever.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s674.photobucket.com/user/smalltownjeans/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Here's a library of pics. Thank you for your comments!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the blade is a necessary evil with those wide tracks leave it a few inches off the ground to level out terrain as those wide track will wreak havoc with the front road wheels and rear drivers on un even ground. learned my lesson last year

the blade is a necessary evil with those wide tracks leave it a few inches off the ground to level out terrain as those wide track will wreak havoc with the front road wheels and rear drivers on un even ground. learned my lesson last year

seller ran it without the blade... says he didn't need it. all the tires are foam filled, but first thing i noticed is one of the front tires sidewall has burst.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
your front tires are the most important , have some tires in the #2 position that are just the foam filling.the front wheels I used are bullet proof wheels from a br400 it's slightly larger but built strong as he!!.I found I needed to up grade fasteners and don't neglect the wheel bearings.if you have to short any other position of a tire it's no problem but when you loose the front you are walking.

your front tires are the most important , have some tires in the #2 position that are just the foam filling.the front wheels I used are bullet proof wheels from a br400 it's slightly larger but built strong as he!!.I found I needed to up grade fasteners and don't neglect the wheel bearings.if you have to short any other position of a tire it's no problem but when you loose the front you are walking.

"just the foam filling" ??? please clarify this suggestion?

undy

"just the foam filling" ??? please clarify this suggestion?

Probably got the tires filled with foam, and then the outer rubber of the tire just wore away, leaving "just the foam filling".

...at least that's my guess...

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the tires were foamed, wore out guides tore up the tire carcass . I replaced them with new solids from a br400 the stamped steel wheels will break apart located in on the front position.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
it's a shame I'm waiting on checks to come in those would work nice to replace the 2 shredded wheels I have in #2 position

They have been on there for quite awhile. Maybe contact the seller and see if he will hold them for you? I would consider putting them on the rear location as I think that is the second most important position after the front two. JMO though.

If you end up needing front wheel assemblies, these might be a good deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LMC-3700-Sn...s_Car_Truck_Tires&hash=item27e3f1c549&vxp=mtr

Post some pics when you get a chance, nice looking cat.

i'm beginning to understand now. those look really durable, all one piece?

would those fit the spryte?

i'm interested in them, but only if Snotrac Nome doesn't buy them. Very thankful for your help guys....

I will post some pics of the spryte soon

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have to do some checking as I remember some of the later model hydromasters used a larger bering and spindle. other wise in my mind first come first serve. I'm waiting on mail for some billing I sent out. by next month I should be rich again. the other thing was the shipping price I'm guessing it would be a little more than 160 bucks the perma groomer solid wheels I had sent up cost me like 500 bucks to ship 1 from minnasota