• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pet Nail Clipping

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Re: Let's see your pet!

Beautiful pup.....
Time to get her used to having her nails cut. It is easy when they are young, but when they get older, they don't like it one bit. I got lazy with this last dog and didn't start soon enough. Now it is like pulling teeth to cut them. I need to take her to the vets to have it done, she fights so much.....

BadAttitude

Yeah I know what you mean Junk. We always let the vet or the groomer cut Shelby's. Most of the time she was OK, but sometimes...look out:eek:

I took Maggie to the vet yesterday...kinda surprised they didn't suggest doing it. Plus I didn't even think of it either. Thanx for the reminder though, she goes back in 2 weeks. I'll have them done then.

Maybe I should start doing it myself? Never have and not sure what kind of clippers to use...

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator

At her age, it is easy. Use a human nail clipper or a human toe nail clipper and just take off the first 1/4". The idea is to get the dog used to having it done, not that it really needs to be done every week. My Weimeraner used to just lay on the floor and let me do all 4 paws. This last Weimeraner, won't even let me near her feet is she sees the clippers in hand. Today your dog is a puppy, but at 6 months, she is equivalent to a teenager. At one year, you have a collage kid that knows everything. By the time they become 3 years old, they realize that you are the boss and do everything that they can to please you. Right now are the "mold-able" months...... Junk........

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

BadAttitude said:
Never have and not sure what kind of clippers to use...
BA,
When you get clippers, I'd recommend the ones that have a limiting plate on them. This will make sure it doesn't cut too much. Without it, if the dog flinches, you can cut into the kwik and it'll bleed.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

Cute pics! I guess I'm lucky and don't ever have to worry about cutting any nails except the dew claw. With my driveway, patio and pool area being concrete, my dogs keep their own claws trimmed. I just have to cut that dew claw. If not, I get ripped by it when playing with them. I bought some of the dog clippers, and they work fine. I'd always been told to be careful and not cut too much off and get that vein, so I just clip the end. I've never had an issue that way. Junk is right about the dog getting used to it. Now I can trim both of them in about 10 seconds without any fight. When I got a "used" dog that was already grown, we had a bit of a battle doing that.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

I've nicked the quick a few times on my dogs. They sure bleed a lot. I know you can get some powder stuff to help stop the bleeding but of course I don't have it when I need it. I just wad up some gauze on their paw and dump them on the couch with their feet up in the air and they get their belly rubbed until the bleeding stops.

Clipping the nails when they are wet makes it a little easier. I try to do it on rainy days. Cleaning the under side of the nail makes it easier to see where the nail starts.

I kind of straddle my dogs and then lift their paws up under them so they can't see what I am doing and they are more focused on maintaining their balance than flipping out over me handling their paws.

That's what works for me anyways.

BadAttitude

bczoom said:
BA,
When you get clippers, I'd recommend the ones that have a limiting plate on them. This will make sure it doesn't cut too much. Without it, if the dog flinches, you can cut into the kwik and it'll bleed.
Thanx bc:tiphat:
I'll get a pair of those instead of using the regular ones. I took a close look at her nails tonight and I think I can see where kwik area is...the pinkish color?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The best clippers are the ones that have sharp edges on both sides. Many clippers are guillotine type clippers that exert pressure on one side of the nail and the dog feels that pressure and starts to resist. Here are two different type of clippers that I use. The green and white one is a battery powered file and a clipper for small dogs under 30 pounds. It works great, but is pricey at $24.99. The larger orange handled clipper is a double edged clipper that makes a clean cut without exerting much pressure on the nail. This particular one doesn't have the "safety" cover at the rear, and I prefer this because you can see exactly how much you are cutting off. The "safety" cover only works when the nails are extremely long and then you don't need it. The orange clipper is what most of the veterinarians use. They are available under a host of different brand names. The cost us usually about $15 - 25 depending on where it is made and the brand. We sell Miller Forge and JW brands and have good luck with them. They are also available in the Hagen brand and that is also a good product. Junk

BadAttitude

Junk...I take it you were going to post a couple pics of those clippers:confused:
If so, I'd like to see what they look like.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Just another senior moment.....

Attachments

• MVC-611F.JPG
    MVC-611F.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 125