• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SW64 Question #5 Differential Oil Type

W30bob

Hi Guys,

Think I'll make the title of my questions a little bit more explanatory....for future folks who search the forum and for my sanity. Ok, this is an easy one I think I have the answer for, but want to be sure. What type of oil is recommended for the front differential? Looking thru posts on here as recent as this year it seems the consensus is that a Caterpillar TO-4 equivalent is what to use and NOT any type of ATF or gear oil. Do I have that right? I pulled my dipstick and it's right at the full mark and nice and clean with no signs of water or other contaminants. I'm just not sure what it is. Looks to have an orange/redish color. What color is TO-4 oil? Definitely doesn't smell like 90W, and not as red as new ATF. Is there any way to tell if it's ATF or not without tasting it?

Oh.....update on finding the front diff drain plug.........I found it!!! I climbed under Bertha this morning and there it was, on the right side of the vehicle just below the front sprocket axle housing. I KNOW I looked there pretty carefully, but when MN said it was a flush plug I had to go back and re-check. And there she was! I've seen lots of folks ask about the location of this drain plug in other posts, so I'll take a pic and post it under a separate heading later to make it easy to find when folks search.

regards,
bob

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most folks use a universal tractor oil designed for hydraulic, brakes, and transmissions. John Deer, Cat, and many other companies make this oil. It can even be found in larger farm and home type stores.

ATF lacks the film strength for these machines, and can lead to premature failure of the ring and pinion gears.

Regards, Kirk