• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Interesting article on technology

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I get an engineering industry rag called Control Engineering.

Some interesting points made by an author:

5gb of memory cost $1,500,000,000 in 1960
5gb of memory cost $5,000 in 1995
5gb of memory now is a few bucks

In 1988, a complex linear model would take 82 years to solve; that same model today takes about a minute.

What will tech bring us in the next 50 years? I just can't imagine, but wish i could.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes I know, I just recently bought a couple of 2 terabyte drives for under $100 each. They can connect via USB2/3, Sata or firewire buy simply changing the cables. Also about the size of a wallet also so easy to transport.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Really, look no further than your droid phone to get an appeciation on how far things have come. Mine has a 1GB dual core processor with 1GB of on board memory with 32GB of storage capacity. It was FREE with a contract. Pretty amazing. :smile:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In Richmond in the early days of the computer, there was a 3 story building probably 150 x 50ft that was a computer. The floors were elevated with miles and miles of wiring, air conditioned, and people did roller skate around replacing vacuum tubes. There was a separate building housing a key punch operation.

I would guess that the entire system had less capability than the computer power available in my home.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I get an engineering industry rag called Control Engineering.

Some interesting points made by an author:

5gb of memory cost $1,500,000,000 in 1960
5gb of memory cost $5,000 in 1995
5gb of memory now is a few bucks

In 1988, a complex linear model would take 82 years to solve; that same model today takes about a minute.

What will tech bring us in the next 50 years? I just can't imagine, but wish i could.

I'm just praying the PLc's Make it till I can retire this dog is too old to learn new tricks.

tom

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm just praying the PLc's Make it till I can retire this dog is too old to learn new tricks.

PLCs aint going anywhere any time soon.

Look how far they have come. I haven't done much logic in the last few years, but I did play with aeg, s5, etc quite a few years ago. They are so easy these days. And reliable.

We are putting a couple of robots in this year. We hired a guy out of automotive and he's showing me the new software for them. And he showed me a similar program on old software. What a difference. I think I could even program the new bots. But we'll let him play with them.