• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Close Call, Check your tie rods for wear!

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
We had a very close call late yesterday as were loading up to haul the 9600 lb trailer 7hr north on the freeway. The tie rod end on the drag link connection to the pitman arm snapped off creating a total loss of steering. Fortunately, NAPA was still open late on a Sunday and stocked the part I needed. 2hrs later, we were back in business but very fortunate that it broke when it did and not at 70mph. You can see the broken piece was fractured for a long time and barely hanging on by just a small bit in the center. A huge thanks to great friends! Poijnty Chops, Logger1965, #CooperFab, Pontoon Princess, sno-surfer, tyeoneon etc.... Couldn't have been in better company.

dd2311353e2b5357654b6479d1f48197.jpg
cba041c0194097e592cbbfad3fab6946.jpg
56bd1fca4130b7235506f1966570a079.jpg
6c472ff5a441aabfc9e8dcadf07d6152.jpg
04d6b6beb88dcd733fcf142d28b69103.jpg
6b36d3ed3e90523cd39317bb4c755773.jpg

Last edited:

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Hard to say when. I would have to believe it was there for awhile and possibly before I bought it. Up until it broke, I would say that everything felt solid, no sway or wander and I didn't have any indications of an issue. I've seen many bad tie rod ends wear out at the ball but never shear the post.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hard to say when. I would have to believe it was there for awhile and possibly before I bought it. Up until it broke, I would say that everything felt solid, no sway or wander and I didn't have any indications of an issue. I've seen many bad tie rod ends wear out at the ball but never shear the post.

Glad you guys are ok.

Jim

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Definitely agree that is an old wound. I make it a big point to express my experience gained rally racing to my apprentices. the fact that it fell apart today does not mean it broke today. Dynamic loads are fatiguing 24/7...... buy a lottery ticket....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Definitely agree that is an old wound. I make it a big point to express my experience gained rally racing to my apprentices. the fact that it fell apart today does not mean it broke today. Dynamic loads are fatiguing 24/7...... buy a lottery ticket....

Agreed, the trauma that caused this goes back a ways. This is an old crack that developed over time to the point it broke off.

We trust our lives to the machines we use. Thankfully no one was hurt, and no property damaged. A good day for sure!

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
2000 ford trucks had a recall on that. from what ii found online.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
For some reason I can't stop thinking about this...

I've never heard of a steering part such as this failing so catastrophically. Other than alignment and lubrication, we generally leave the steering alone until it develops slop. This failure could happen to anyone, and while it's stating the obvious, had it happened at highway speed, there could easily have been multiple fatalities.

I'm wondering if perhaps you should report this to either (or both) the NTSB and NHTSA.

Trying to add some levity to a serious near-miss, maybe you should buy some lottery tickets...