• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

rebuilding the vw motor

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I started the re assembly of my snow trac motor after Big Al hexed the other one with his little voodoo doll of a snot trac. I took some pics so you all can see what is involved. I also have some components which are torn down so as I get around to cleaning up and saving the good stuff I will also cover inspection. the first order of business was to set the end play on the crank this process uses shims between the rear main and fly wheel so you will need shims the little paper gaskets and a fly wheel.i lubed and slid on the bearing dropped 2 shims into place each measured out to .008. than had to add another .006 to get end play down to .003 acceptable clearance is between .002 and .005. in the picture i.m showing a way to use a feeler gauge to accomplish this and it works better than any other way. once this is done I removed the bearings set them in the block half that had dowels in it and marked the case halfs with a sharpe marker, this will aid in installation later next step was to install bearings and gears you tape #4 main the small jurnal and slide #3 bearing on the crank with lubraplate install the timing gear on with the timing marks up than the split washer and lastly the distributor drive gear. at this point #4 and #1 bearing goes on and the split portion of the #2 bearing goes in.you than set the crank in to the block using your marks to orient the bearings properly and aligning the dowels which hold the bearings in place . than install cam bearing halfs line up the timing marks and install all the rest of the bearing and install the other case side the case halfs torque to 18 ft lbs on the large stiudds the smaller bolts I just made them like a german virgin goot and tight. as a note I put the rodds on the crank first befre installation as I had a cool duplicate of the german engine fixture, and laying the engine on its side made it easy.once the case halfs were secure I pit on the oil pump and cylinder jugs I use a lifter removal tool which makes pulling wrist pins easy and I don't have to separate the piston from the jug .I also installed a sand seal kit and the front tin than the power pulley at this point I called itr a night I will finnish up tonight and have a complete engine ready to drop in to my snow trac that should be hex proof

Attachments

• IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 316

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I noticed your not posting as much.....cause your busy!!

Good info, keep us updated.

Regards, Krik

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I had to go out of town this weekend for an mri . yes I have also been busy the money keeps falling through my fingers as fast as I make it. I feel like them gold miners hopefully I get a few last trips to put some money back into the bank.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
here are some pics from my components in the tear down of the motors prior to my rebuilding the motors. they show the case with the dual pressure relief oil system which actually helps the oil warm faster but what makes these case's desirable is the fact they have larger oil galleys. also I. showing where to check for wear to determine if line boring is necessary and this engine is a great example with about .010 wear in the rear main and about .015 wear in the thrust surface basically, if you can drag a finger nail across either surface take it in for line boring and get oversized bearings. included are 2 bearings for comparison one set is the from my block built about 3 years ago, and run from day 1 with aero shell 15w50 oil. the other was run with automotive engine oil and my guess is it wasn't changed regularly, but it was on a dredge pump so it wasn't worked hard. you can see the damage caused by using an oil not intended for the heat that air cooled engines produce as the oil dribbles across the heads soaking up heat. if I had never had a giggen clip failure the the rod bering on that one cylinder may never have failed.

Attachments

• tear down 005.jpg
    tear down 005.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 264
  • tear down 006.jpg
    tear down 006.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 254
  • tear down 007.jpg
    tear down 007.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 254
  • tear down 008.jpg
    tear down 008.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 283

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I will take some pics of the engine installed today but I added a 30 mm oil pump with a remote oil filter this will make changing the oil easier and allow an aux oil cooler if I think it's necessary after looking at the inside of my engine I don't think it is required. on the plus side the ph8a oil filter adds another quart of capacity to the system.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
it wasn't I had about 10 hours of break in time on it when Allen got his voodoo doll out and the ignition started to act up. I had problems initially with it thought I tracked it down to plug wires I was feeling good than at about 9 pm the curse came back now i'm pi$$ed so I grab the cj5 and tow it to the shop fiddle fart around and say the only thing I haven't changed was the distributor I have a spare 009 type so in went the points and presto it started so I guess by by to my beloved vacuum advance distributor.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang! That is a bitch when the spark is gone and your piston ain't working right....:yum::yum:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the funny part of it was when Big Al opened the hood and started in with his little stick pins. he didn't get rid of the spark he just changed timing it sounded like the plug wires got re arranged

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you will also notice that that I use a primer sealer on my cases that really extends the life of them around here as it keeps the salt in the air from corroding the magnesium that they are made of I have seen cases so badly corroded that they almost have holes through them.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
another note is I the snow trac uses a bus muffler Lyndon has made mention of this before, well I cut the muffler open to see how it works. it would be quite acceptable to use a bug muffler and weld 1 tail pipe closed there are 2 chambers at both sides connected by a punched out tube and every thing is wrapped with a sheet metal expansion chamber with tail pipe ports you only need the 1 tail pipe

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I gotta tell ya man ! I really love ya , But it still ain't no "Kristy" ,no matter how many bells and whistles you hang on it . Its still a snotty little Trac that will leave you hangin first chance it gets .
The trurth hurts ......I know . But it is best you heard it from me then one of them other lyin , cheatin , snotty trackers .:sad:

Let us pray ..... A moment of silence please!!!:unsure:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
well the good news is it's running like a top except for that darned 009 flat spot, but it is ready to recover your kristy if you ever drive it out of your garage. infract I pulled a 1 ton ford with over sized tires off the ice last night for one of the bering sea gold celebrity's

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
well the good news is it's running like a top except for that darned 009 flat spot, but it is ready to recover your kristy if you ever drive it out of your garage. infract I pulled a 1 ton ford with over sized tires off the ice last night for one of the bering sea gold celebrity's

I hope you charged the shit outta him !!!:biggrin:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
another note is I the snow trac uses a bus muffler Lyndon has made mention of this before, well I cut the muffler open to see how it works. it would be quite acceptable to use a bug muffler and weld 1 tail pipe closed there are 2 chambers at both sides connected by a punched out tube and every thing is wrapped with a sheet metal expansion chamber with tail pipe ports you only need the 1 tail pipe
Doesn't the bus have one side closed? maybe it's the same muffler.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the bus motor is a single outlet the construction of the bug muffler would allow some one with welding skills to block off the outlet and use the more available bug muffler .