• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking at Bombardiar Sidewalk plow

mpilihp

Im going to look at a sidewalk plow I think its an SW48 but not sure. The guy says it starts/runs and moves fine and only needs rust work/paint.

My question is what are the important items to loook at to make sure im just not buying a money pit. IE im assuming drive train/tracks and wheels but what specificaly should I look at.

IE the track, what is acceptable wear on it, can there be some cracking and so on.

Im new to this forum, hopefully this picture will show up.

bombi-sidewalk-plow.jpg

Thanks Phil

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Phil, just a general question that may help get you some appropriate answers, but what is your intended use of this unit? Different machines have different strengths and weaknesses and some are suitable for some tasks while others are not.

mpilihp

Good question, going to attempt to use it for local snowmobile trail grooming, plowing my yard (have two long driveways adn maybe to twitch some logs out of the woods if it works.

Thanks

~ Phil

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Not an expert here. If that plow is intended for a sidewalk, you might find plowing a driveway with a narrow V plow frustrating.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you want mechanical advice look to benz9 he just finnished an outstanding restoration on one he would be the go to guy to ask what to look for it's all fresh in his head as for log skidding and plowing i'm betting it would work good for that but the sw's are heavy with short narrow tracks
for grooming you maybe better off with a bombi or br100 the bombies and br100s are snow specific and run a much ligter foot print

mpilihp

if you want mechanical advice look to benz9 he just finnished an outstanding restoration on one he would be the go to guy to ask what to look for it's all fresh in his head as for log skidding and plowing i'm betting it would work good for that but the sw's are heavy with short narrow tracks
for grooming you maybe better off with a bombi or br100 the bombies and br100s are snow specific and run a much ligter foot print

Thanks for the advice, I havent seen any bombi or br100s dont know know they look like, Ill do some googling for them, thanks

~ Phil

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
there was a bombi posted for sale in the snow cat clasifides just the other day with a plow and it had been through a nice restoration

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you'd be disappointed with SW48 as a trail groomer. It's very heavy for it's size with small tracks that are designed for pavement and concrete. It would likely have no lateral stability/traction on a side slope and would skid sideways. I doubt it would be suitable for pulling a drag on a path. A muskeg, J5, Bombi or BR100 would be better suited to your intended uses.

mpilihp

Hmm interesting, good info to know, I hadnt thought about side slippage. I looked at the bombi and br100 and the problem with them is they are too wide. Im looking for something to do local trails, single track, with a four ft wide drag. The bombi wont fit down most of our trails.

I originally was looking for a skidsteer to help clear the driveways with, we use a 500 atv with a 5ft plow and if the snow is too heavy or we are away from home (snowmobiling) when we get home the atv can not break through the snow bank or move the snow far enough so we have room for the following storms. So plowing is the primary use. Towing a drag would be secondary bonus.

This unit is for sale for 2500 and thinking I can get it for 2k. If mechanically its sound I think its a good deal but I dont know what to look for/at.

Thanks

Phil

northeastheavy

I do hear the old SW-48's can plow up a storm!!!!! At $2k it should have a good drivetrain and running of course. I think the biggest think to look closely at are the tracks and tires as they are expensive and lots of work. Look at the grousers and track belting and if worn, cracked you are in for alot of work and dollars. Rust you can see!! Good luck!!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you didn't say were you were wanting to drag trails it might work ok if you are in heavt wind blown aeras or where you don't get feet of snow at a time trail drags need to be used after a fresh snow i would guess if you had a good base it should work ok in up to 12 inches of snow be careful in turns its heavy and narrow and could lay on its side if it broke through the base they are not a powder machine but would likely work good on our wind blowen trails we have up here.

mpilihp

Yeah in my first post I didnt but did afterwards. We dont get alot of snow but sometimes we get 12-18 in storm. Id wait to use till after trais were ridden and packed before venturing out in it. Ive seen short videos of them being used and appear to go fine in the snow but cant tell how packed it was or if it was angled and so on. Ive seen several for sale with drags so it appears people have set them up to groom but maybe they are selling them cause they suck...

Thanks all

~ Phil

tracknut

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 1966 SW It will push an ungodly amount of snow. I've had it for 4 years now and track belting will need redone. Steering bands and dif oil is the biggest thing to keep track of

125a

My question is what are the important items to loook at to make sure im just not buying a money pit. IE im assuming drive train/tracks and wheels but what specificaly should I look at.
For a machine of this age, just assume it is, in fact a money pit. If that turns out not to be the case, then you will be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise, you will be prepared.

In no particular order:
Check the intake and exhaust manifolds for cracks, missing chunks, etc. These are hard to come by, often difficult to remove, and somewhat labor intensive to repair. Leaks in the exhaust will gas you out of the cab, and leaks in the intake will have you running on fewer cylinders.

Pull the stick on the final drive. If the fluid level is significantly overfull, the differential may be full of water. Not certain death, but not a good start.

Are all gauges functional, and do they read correctly?

Is the radiator in good order?

Is the tub full of goo, or does it appear dry? This gives some idea of the condition of the various seals on the hydraulic pump, front and rear mains, and the oil pan.

Will it shift smoothly through all gears, can you find neutral easily, and do you hear any strange noises in any one (or all) gears?

Drive forward and backward while turning in both directions. Granted, performance on snow is much different than on grass/dirt, but are there any odd snapping, grinding sounds while turning, or is it all smooth sailing.

Is the lever travel equal in both directions, with equal effect?
Incorrect and/or contaminated fluid will effect turning, as will worn out brake linings.

(Bear in mind also, that there is some technique involved in effective turning).

Any chunks missing from either drive gear?
Check the tracks for missing bolts, guides, cracked cleats.

Some cracking, checking and edgewise fraying of the track belting can be considered somewhat normal. The further you venture from home, the more you need to care about the condition of the belts. Make sure the rubber/fabric laminations are not separating.

Are the cleats evenly worn from one side to the other?

Does it cold start easily and settle in to a smooth idle quickly, or do you need to work the throttle? Is it running on all six?

If the carburetor has a sediment bowl, how much crud/water is in there? This may speak to the condition of the fuel tank.

See if you can check the tire pressure if the tires are pneumatic. (Hard to tell from the photo, and are all the tires of the same type(solid or air))
Is the rubber sound, what is the condition of the rims?

Are all the wheels in line with each other, or is the machine knock-kneed/pigeon toed? This may give some indication of the condition of the bearings, both in the hubs, and the walking beam. Check from both ends.

Also, are there any tire scuff marks on either the tub or beams?

Are the hydraulics functional, does the blade stay up, or does it drift?
Can you lift the front of the tractor, and will it stay up. (In the event that the decals are missing from the dash, lever all the way forward is float. one step forward should be power down.)

I'm sure I missed something...

I use one of these to supplement my plow truck. I prefer the speed of the truck for most of the work, and use the SW to shave back the windrows when they get too big. (I live on the inside of a blind corner over the crest of a hill, just downstream from a wood products/biomass generation facility.) The size of the machine keeps me out of the road while working.
I don't think I would want this as my sole machine for contract work, as it is a bit slow, and does not carry enough snow (with six foot straight blade) on each pass. Perhaps with a blower instead of a plow...?

The tracks provide good traction in a straight line. They skate on side hills, and ice. When you angle the blade too far with a full load, the snow will send you sideways. One set of cleats is almost worn out, while the other is nearly new, therefore, my results may not be typical.

In deep or sugary snow, the machine will wallow and eventually churn its way out, though you may not be pointing exactly where you intended. I don't think I would venture into deep wet spring snow, at least not with the plow frame attached.

The plow frame is designed for down pressure rather than lift. It is easy to get the plow hung up, as it does not lift high enough. Some of these units have power angling, mine does not.

The weight/ traction of the machine, and downward travel of the plow cylinder allow one to clear the greasy, wet, packed crap that a truck plow will simply ride over. The motor, assuming it is running well, has ample power to do the job.

My track belting is junk, and as such, I don't venture too far.

For its intended purpose, it works well. If you want to groom with it, it should work OK,(depending on terrain) provided you don't get behind on the packing. I would suspect that a larger, industrial sled might be more better suited to the job. Faster, more maneuverable, and easier to retrieve in the event of a breakdown.

For skidding, don't take too much on each hitch, and lay out your skid trails as straight as possible so as not to flip.

So far, I have been able to find the more generic parts at my local NAPA and bearing supply house. Driveline parts are still available, for a little more time and money.

Hope this helps.

If you were grooming on a hardened trail like a bicycle path and the snow fall was no more than 12" maximum and you didn't get off of your hard pack they work fine. If you have any creeks, hills, deep snow, rough terrain, then you will be sadly disappointed. For that narrow of a trail the best groomer is a wide track snowmobile or a quad with tracks. The closest snowcat I can think of that is as narrow as you will find is a Bombie with the 18" wide tracks or a Track Truck made by ASV. Both in the 5' range.

mpilihp

For a machine of this age, just assume it is, in fact a money pit. If that turns out not to be the case, then you will be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise, you will be prepared.

In no particular order:
Check the intake and exhaust manifolds for cracks, missing chunks, etc. These are hard to come by, often difficult to remove, and somewhat labor intensive to repair. Leaks in the exhaust will gas you out of the cab, and leaks in the intake will have you running on fewer cylinders.

Pull the stick on the final drive. If the fluid level is significantly overfull, the differential may be full of water. Not certain death, but not a good start.

Are all gauges functional, and do they read correctly?

Is the radiator in good order?

Is the tub full of goo, or does it appear dry? This gives some idea of the condition of the various seals on the hydraulic pump, front and rear mains, and the oil pan.

Will it shift smoothly through all gears, can you find neutral easily, and do you hear any strange noises in any one (or all) gears?

Drive forward and backward while turning in both directions. Granted, performance on snow is much different than on grass/dirt, but are there any odd snapping, grinding sounds while turning, or is it all smooth sailing.

Is the lever travel equal in both directions, with equal effect?
Incorrect and/or contaminated fluid will effect turning, as will worn out brake linings.

(Bear in mind also, that there is some technique involved in effective turning).

Any chunks missing from either drive gear?
Check the tracks for missing bolts, guides, cracked cleats.

Some cracking, checking and edgewise fraying of the track belting can be considered somewhat normal. The further you venture from home, the more you need to care about the condition of the belts. Make sure the rubber/fabric laminations are not separating.

Are the cleats evenly worn from one side to the other?

Does it cold start easily and settle in to a smooth idle quickly, or do you need to work the throttle? Is it running on all six?

If the carburetor has a sediment bowl, how much crud/water is in there? This may speak to the condition of the fuel tank.

See if you can check the tire pressure if the tires are pneumatic. (Hard to tell from the photo, and are all the tires of the same type(solid or air))
Is the rubber sound, what is the condition of the rims?

Are all the wheels in line with each other, or is the machine knock-kneed/pigeon toed? This may give some indication of the condition of the bearings, both in the hubs, and the walking beam. Check from both ends.

Also, are there any tire scuff marks on either the tub or beams?

Are the hydraulics functional, does the blade stay up, or does it drift?
Can you lift the front of the tractor, and will it stay up. (In the event that the decals are missing from the dash, lever all the way forward is float. one step forward should be power down.)

I'm sure I missed something...

I use one of these to supplement my plow truck. I prefer the speed of the truck for most of the work, and use the SW to shave back the windrows when they get too big. (I live on the inside of a blind corner over the crest of a hill, just downstream from a wood products/biomass generation facility.) The size of the machine keeps me out of the road while working.
I don't think I would want this as my sole machine for contract work, as it is a bit slow, and does not carry enough snow (with six foot straight blade) on each pass. Perhaps with a blower instead of a plow...?

The tracks provide good traction in a straight line. They skate on side hills, and ice. When you angle the blade too far with a full load, the snow will send you sideways. One set of cleats is almost worn out, while the other is nearly new, therefore, my results may not be typical.

In deep or sugary snow, the machine will wallow and eventually churn its way out, though you may not be pointing exactly where you intended. I don't think I would venture into deep wet spring snow, at least not with the plow frame attached.

The plow frame is designed for down pressure rather than lift. It is easy to get the plow hung up, as it does not lift high enough. Some of these units have power angling, mine does not.

The weight/ traction of the machine, and downward travel of the plow cylinder allow one to clear the greasy, wet, packed crap that a truck plow will simply ride over. The motor, assuming it is running well, has ample power to do the job.

My track belting is junk, and as such, I don't venture too far.

For its intended purpose, it works well. If you want to groom with it, it should work OK,(depending on terrain) provided you don't get behind on the packing. I would suspect that a larger, industrial sled might be more better suited to the job. Faster, more maneuverable, and easier to retrieve in the event of a breakdown.

For skidding, don't take too much on each hitch, and lay out your skid trails as straight as possible so as not to flip.

So far, I have been able to find the more generic parts at my local NAPA and bearing supply house. Driveline parts are still available, for a little more time and money.

Hope this helps.

Hi and thanks, these are great suggestions. From the replies ive gotten Im thinking against it. I was originally looking at small skidsteers for moving the snow in conjunction to my ATV as it cant move heater banks along the road.

Thanks

~ Phil

mpilihp

If you were grooming on a hardened trail like a bicycle path and the snow fall was no more than 12" maximum and you didn't get off of your hard pack they work fine. If you have any creeks, hills, deep snow, rough terrain, then you will be sadly disappointed. For that narrow of a trail the best groomer is a wide track snowmobile or a quad with tracks. The closest snowcat I can think of that is as narrow as you will find is a Bombie with the 18" wide tracks or a Track Truck made by ASV. Both in the 5' range.

Hi thanks, I guess ill probably pass on the beast, I dont need another rig Im fixing more than I can play with, I may still go check it out as it does look cool.

Thanks

~ Phil

125a

Phil,
If the machine is not too far afield, you should check it out anyway. The more you look at these things, the better your understanding of what sits in front of you.

For the money, if the machine is even remotely functional, it will work well for your snowbanks. Even without a straight blade, you can chunk up the banks to a size the atv can handle.

I paid 1200 for mine, site unseen. Ran on three or four cylinders, had a flat tire, and would barely steer due to incorrect diff oil, and still did the job. I had passed on another with better tracks for 3500, as it ran funky and had no plow rig.

Besides, operating old machines like the SW is the closest you may come to the elusive time machine.

ripstorm

they will work for light logskidding.:17875:
1967 sw48-$1500
20,000# tulsa winch-$100
assorted hydraulics-$500
Buzzing thru the woods in the middle of winter in a HEATED cab-priceless

Attachments

• 100_0873.jpg
    100_0873.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_0874.jpg
    100_0874.jpg