• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

new beers time!

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
well i went for my mixer sixer today, and wasnt much in the way of oktoberfest, but i got 6 new beers anyway. first is the Lancaster Brewing Co Oktoberfest, then the Lancaster Brewing Co Strawberry Wheat (for her), also got the Tommy Knocker Butt Head dopplebock, the Troegs Dream Weaver wheat, the Appalachian Brewing Co Water Gap Wheat, and the Appalachian Brewing Co Jolly Scot Scottish Style Ale. will have one a day when i get home from work and post a review of them, with a pic of the beer and bottle. one a day because i dont wanna mix flavours. anyone had any of these? tell me what you thought.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I tried the Tommy Knocker Doppelbock last night - good flavor up front, nice and smooth going down, lingering aftertaste not so pleasant.
Also had a Tommy Knocker Maple Brown Ale -- slightly sweet, almost creamy taste. Very smooth and a clean finish with no lingering aftertaste. (wife gave it a thumbs up as well - especially with dark chocolate M&Ms)

Monday night is the Oktoberfest keg tapping party at our Local Granite City brewery -- I'm hoping it's good, since it's a 60 mile drive. They also offer a bunch of free food at the tapping parties from 5-7 (Kansas law won't let them discount alcoholic beverages) Brats, Kraut, and beans baked in their stout among other things. What could be more romantic.

GCBC is a chain brewery but they're bock & stout aren't bad - google them and see if there's one close. (I think the only one in Pa is in Pittsburg)

mak2

Is this thread about new beer people are drinking our just you? I dont want to hijack it but...

My two new favorites are Oaken barrel super fly 100 IBU's of IPA wonderfulness. Or something like that. my other new favorite is called Fat Tire Amber Ale. Just a nice amber.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been an obscure beer drinker all my life but I've never heard of any of them, apart from the Fat Tire. Let us know what you think of them. By the way, mixing beers isn't a bad thing unless you drink all six in one sitting and then we won't pay much attention to your assessment.

I had a couple of bottles of "Old Speckled Hen" tonight, before family supper. An English brewed Pale Ale. It was just about what you would expect ..... good, good, good.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Guys, since Rusty started this thread (OK, this entire forum) and then went 9 days without posting, I think it's a pretty open forum for posting about anything drinkable.
(posting pictures of scantily clad wimmen is perfectly fine with me, too)
If you want to post about beer or drinking related food, I'm pretty cool with that, too. (again - posting pictures is almost as good as tasting it)

The only rules I can think of applying would be no guns, politics, or religion. (merely because none of them are safe when drinking)

Fat Tire isn't Bad.
1554 is pretty good.
most of the "Black ales" I've had were tasty.
If you drop a shot of Kahlua or Kona in it, even Guinness is tolerable!
OTOH, Mackeson XXX is superb, as is Spaten Optimator.
Old Peculiar is pretty good, as is Old Engine Oil (yes, it's really a beer)
and you can have all the IPA you want - I'm not a fan of uber-hopped beers.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Fat Tire isn't Bad.
1554 is pretty good.
most of the "Black ales" I've had were tasty.
If you drop a shot of Kahlua or Kona in it, even Guinness is tolerable!
OTOH, Mackeson XXX is superb, as is Spaten Optimator.
Old Peculiar is pretty good, as is Old Engine Oil (yes, it's really a beer)
and you can have all the IPA you want - I'm not a fan of uber-hopped beers.

Ah Erik, that's where we differ. I was brought up drinking IPA's and they're still my favorites. I never really developed a taste for most lager type beers. I haven't had a Mackeson for a long time and I need to address that. I prefer the sweeter, not sweet, black ales and stouts. I'll have to try the Kahlua in the Guinness trick because it has never been one of my preferred drinks. Got some Old Peculiar in the fridge right now too.

Thanks for the info on Spaten Optimator and Old Engine Oil. I'll keep an eye open for them.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I prefer ales to lager as well.
occasionally a pils goes down smooth, too.
In general for me, the fewer the hops at the finish, the happier I am -- doesn't have to be a sweet beer, just no lingering bitterness, which is the problem I have with IPAs.
Blind Tiger brewery in Topeka used to do a heather ale as a seasonal - it was pretty good, too - they used heather instead of hops (old Scots recipe) to give it a slightly floral but not cloying accent.
Freestate in Lawrence, Ks does a good Barley Wine - just make sure you're not planning on driving any time soon, it'll knock you on your butt!

Now if you're looking for a "dessert beer", try Kasteel Rouge -- it's a Belgian brown ale with cherry and my wife can drink it like kool-ade (REALLY freaking expensive kool-ade, at that!)

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
lol sorry i forgot all about this. yes, post away with whatever you got!

most of the beers i had werent that impressive, though the water gap wheat was quite tasty.