• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Making Money the Easy Way...

humor_me

I have a co-worker friend who's been buying trailers to rent. He has built up his "fleet" to 9 trailers. And the good part is, they been busy being rented darn near continuously. He told me that about the only maintenance is the tires, and occasionally the electric brakes and the packing the bearings.

I'd like to see how it is in a year or two though.

Archdean

humor_me said:
I have a co-worker friend who's been buying trailers to rent. He has built up his "fleet" to 9 trailers. And the good part is, they been busy being rented darn near continuously. He told me that about the only maintenance is the tires, and occasionally the electric brakes and the packing the bearings.

I'd like to see how it is in a year or two though.

Well it isn't easy but I can't begin to tell you how many times I was asked if I would haul something for them along the way!!

Yes there is a big need for intermediate guys like this with a CDL and the proper equipment!! But I'll restate the fact that it is not a creampuff job!!

Dean

an example follows:

Attachments

• April15Cowboy 005 (Small).jpg
    April15Cowboy 005 (Small).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 32

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting Idea humor-me! I wonder what his liability insurance runs ...or if has any at all. I suppose the person's insurance who rented the trailer would cover the insurance while underway.

Dean,
I"m sure hauling the big stuff like that would not be a creampuff job. :eek:

I wonder if the guy humor_me is talking about even rents trailer where you need a CDL. I think around here I could probably rent out 10 single axle 3500lb max load trailers instead of renting the 12K & bigger stuff that requires a CDL.

Chief

Exactly the question that came to my mind to Doc. Is Humor Me's friend carrying liability insurance? Does he place a limit on the distance the trailer can be taken?

humor_me

Doc said:
Interesting Idea humor-me! I wonder what his liability insurance runs ...or if has any at all. I suppose the person's insurance who rented the trailer would cover the insurance while underway.

Dean,
I"m sure hauling the big stuff like that would not be a creampuff job. :eek:

I wonder if the guy humor_me is talking about even rents trailer where you need a CDL. I think around here I could probably rent out 10 single axle 3500lb max load trailers instead of renting the 12K & bigger stuff that requires a CDL.

€hieƒ™ said:
Exactly the question that came to my mind to Doc. Is Humor Me's friend carrying liability insurance? Does he place a limit on the distance the trailer can be taken?

This guy has mainly small trailers up to around 11k lbs. He seems to have picked the nitch that cater to those who have Honda Civics up to, say the one-ton trucks. The type of person, for example, who needs to move out of an apartment, but doesn't need to rent a full-size truck or the weekend warrior who has not purchased a pickup yet.
He has one gooseneck, a couple of "landscape" types with the expanded metal ramps, two large enough to put a car on, two pop-up camper repos. Here in Texas, your trailer is covered by the towing vehicle's insurance. I'm not sure about the company laibility insurance. Also, he only rents for local use only.
This is a heck of an idea. He is re-investing his money to buy more trailers as he needs them and kind of flying by the seat of his pants as to which type he seems to be renting most.
It is a partnership between him (money bags) and his brother (a ne'er do well who's mechanically inclined) and his sister (office tramp). So it is all in the family of sorts.