• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Maytag buildings....

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was in that building a couple of times taking classes back when I was in Vocational School. Kind of a sad thing, Maytag at one time was good, probably the best. Today I don't think I would buy anything from them.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The name is now owned by Whirlpool....

Sad story of a CEO of "color" who ran it into the ground....

Many here consider it an inside job, done to them by the folks who bought them out.

I don't remember the details unfortunately. I just remeber being mad as hell about it at the time. The last CEO they had was worse than anyone could have imagined. The 2nd generation of the Maytag family had a alot to do with it's demise as well. When the old man was gone, it all started to roll down a very steep hill......

I hope a good company with perhaps problems in the state they are in would purchase it and move there. Iowa is a very business friendly state.

Regards, Kirk

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I was in that building a couple of times taking classes back when I was in Vocational School. Kind of a sad thing, Maytag at one time was good, probably the best. Today I don't think I would buy anything from them.
Yup they perty much went downhill since this guy passed on. :sad:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7z6AKPGDZ4"]Original MayTag Repairman TV Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

grizzer

I was part of the group that brought the first mfg plant to Winterset.

IA offered a bunch of help from land, utilities, some kind of special uphill water pumping station, bldg construction, employee initial and continuing education on-site, and a bunch of misc. The surprising one was they paid shipping of equipment from both Taipei, TW and TX to Winterset.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know Fred Maytags (founder) Pilot,

He flew the company plane and was a good friend of Freds. He has many stories of his time with the company. He left the Air Force after the war and was hired by Maytag. He was also Fred's body guard and chaufer. When He flew Fred upto his hunting lodge in Canada to duck hunt he shot ducks also...Wondrerfull times he had with the man.

He can also tell you much about why the company went down hill after the founder died of cancer. The last trip to the hunting lodge was the last flight he has ever taken. His feet have not left the ground since then. Nice a fellow as one could ever hope to meet. Not tomention he is a very good shot with a rifle. I know because this is how I met him, in competition at a rifle match.

It's sad for the town of Newton. It was such a big part of the community.

Best regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well,

It made the State 6 PM and 10 PM news here. So I know it is still current, for that price with the restrictions of course.

Regards, Kirk

Glink

Site Supporter
I have done business with Maytag for 20 years; and have been on that campus several times myself. Still working with the Amana/Whirlpool crew on a regular basis; and in fact got to experience a little Iowa winter blast just this past week.