• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Backpack leaf blower question

Jones_Jon

Hello and thanks for reading this.
I'm in the market for a new leaf blower, an Echo PB-500 or PB-755 or PB-770.

I know what my needs are and either of them will be fine (and when it comes to tools, that I am going to buy for the next 5-10 years, I prefer to buy an overkilling one and spend some $20 a year more; than to buy cheap and regret if for the next 10 years).

My question: does it do any harm to a blower in the long run, if I use it most of the time on partial and not full throttle?

Thanks in advance.
JJ

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I have a Stihl blower not an Echo, but see no reason why running at partial throttle would make any difference, seems to me it would tax the engine less, therefore run longer.

FWIW, I do have some Echo and some Stihl stuff. Switching over to all Stihl as it seems to be better. But I'll admit both brands are really good.

Jones_Jon

"WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!"
Thanks, glad to be here! :smile:

"...I do have some Echo and some Stihl stuff..."
Yes, over the years I'm alternating between those 2 also.
I replaced my Echo weed whacker with a Stihl one 2 years ago because I needed one with the chain saw attachment and Echo didn't have one, and last year replaced my Stihl blower with an Echo one... :smile:

"...see no reason why running at partial throttle would make any difference..."
It's just that a while ago I got to talk to a service guy at my local dealer and he said something like "those tools are made to run on full throttle".
It wasn't the issue then and I never gave it a second thought, until now that I need to know.

Appreciate your reply.
JJ

Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my buddy said that and held my stil saw wide open. it was really screaming. I had to replace it . wouldn't start anymore.
I don't know what is good on leaf blowers . I have a little wonder 4 stroke.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought the wife a 770 ....... :wink: She says it starts every time (considering it gets run about 4 times a year), has lots of power, and says she only gooses it when she's moving large piles.

I literally ran it one time when I brought it home, that's it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

I'm surrounded by woods so my backpack blower gets used quite frequently (Stihl BR600). I've run it wide open for extended periods and at slower speeds. Haven't had a problem doing either.
If you do use it to clean your garage or shop floor, be careful where you point it as it'll do wonders (even at idle) at clearing off the contents of your shelves. ;)

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have a backpack blower but have had lots of handheld stuff over the years and still do. All are Stihl or Echo. My take on it is that saying that a piece of equipment is made to run at full throttle doesn't mean that it has to. I range up and down on mine depending on what I am doing and what I want to achieve.

I've found that the most important thing in keeping a piece of equipment running is to drain the gas and run it dry before storing it for any length of time. It used to annoy the everloving heck out of me when I went to use a piece of equipment in the spring and it wouldn't start because the fuel had deteriorated and the carb was varnished and gummed up.

Good luck in your search. It's important to get what you want so you don't regret it in the following years.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Hello and thanks for reading this.
I'm in the market for a new leaf blower, an Echo PB-500 or PB-755 or PB-770.

I know what my needs are and either of them will be fine (and when it comes to tools, that I am going to buy for the next 5-10 years, I prefer to buy an overkilling one and spend some $20 a year more; than to buy cheap and regret if for the next 10 years).

My question: does it do any harm to a blower in the long run, if I use it most of the time on partial and not full throttle?

Thanks in advance.
JJ

As a small engine mechanic running a leaf blower at full throttle for a short time does not hurt it, unless you don't have the right oil gas mix. If you have acres of property that needs constant attention running at half throttle is OK as well.

I have had echo products for years and have never had a complaint about them.

Jones_Jon

Thanks to each of you who responded! Very much appreciated!

To JimVT: Sorry man! Didn't understand most of what you said. (But then, again, the same happens with my wife).... :whistling:

Big Dog, an hour ago got back home with my new PT-770! :clap: (Now, I'm waiting... no leaves anymore and yet... no snow)...

bczoom: "If you do use it to clean your garage or shop floor, be careful where you point it as it'll do wonders (even at idle) at clearing off the contents of your shelves."
Been there, done that! :smile:
I use it on my deck and I use it for the leaves and I use it for my car and I use it for my shop (I can go on and on, like Dr. Seuss)... :smile:. The only thing (almost) I don't use it for is... to make coffee...

EastTexFrank: "It's important to get what you want so you don't regret it in the following years." That's how I see things too. (And the best bet I've ever made is with my wife for the last 39 years... so far so good)... :smile:

MrLiberty, thanks for your advice!

Now, I also found the answer (or at least Echo's one) to my question, in the operator's manual:
"Use reduced speed only when performing light-duty tasks or to comply with local noise regulations.Continuous low speed operation may allow fuel/oil residue to build-up on the piston and cause rapid build-upof carbon on the spark arrestor screen, resulting in overheating and engine damage. To reduce harmfulbuild-up, run engine at wide open throttle for at least 5 minutes every hour"
I can live with 5 minutes every hour... :smile:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
EastTexFrank: "It's important to get what you want so you don't regret it in the following years." That's how I see things too. (And the best bet I've ever made is with my wife for the last 39 years... so far so good)... :smile:

Now, I also found the answer (or at least Echo's one) to my question, in the operator's manual:
"Use reduced speed only when performing light-duty tasks or to comply with local noise regulations.Continuous low speed operation may allow fuel/oil residue to build-up on the piston and cause rapid build-upof carbon on the spark arrestor screen, resulting in overheating and engine damage. To reduce harmfulbuild-up, run engine at wide open throttle for at least 5 minutes every hour"
I can live with 5 minutes every hour... :smile:

Great answer about the wife, I love it. :clap:

And thanks for the information. Whoever said, "What you don't know can't hurt you", never had to deal with small engines. :hammer: