• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Another "Gem" from "Monster" Jeff

olympicorange

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/57855714

"...great shape, low hours"

His ability to embellish apparently has no bounds...

For those who may be new to the forum, I would suggest you heed Ronald Reagan's advice when considering anything from this seller: "Trust, but verify".

………………. lol,... sound advice, with most salespeople... im going to guess that it's a safe bet , that most, if not all, of his customers don't read the forums ...here ,... but it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has bought something from him,.... ??

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
is that a ski dozer rear diff?

Heck yes it is! "Fresh" Monster Jeff orange paint included. Never mind he forgot to clean out the mouse nests in the cab...

My 2 cents is the OC 4 Diff was bad, and the Monster dude had a Ski Dozer with big problems, and the cross breeding program began. I notice he never spilled the beans, as is his usual style..

Maybe better than the OC 4... if done well.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
one has to wonder about how good of a job it was when he didn't even pull out the shifter for the oc 4. the passenger cabin looks pretty good as kirk mentioned he forgot all about the drivers compartment you go through all that work to make it look nice than forget about doing anything with the heart of the machine.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I will admit some of my machines don't look any better on the inside but I didn't pay 18 grand for them to

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I kind of thought the steering cylinders looked like a 12 but if its a 4 speed than why does it have an automatic shifter

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the shifter does look hooked up (the manual one) maybe there was a automatic? or maybe the cable does something with the plow.?

BFT should go test drive it and report back.....

Snowcat Pat

I know about this one. Came from Sno-Trans bare and well-worn. It's a B model had 200 six w/4speed replaced w/ 300 six and C-6 (not industrial) and a 3 speed aux brownie then the straight axle OC-12 rebuilt with new 6.14 r&p. Had tubing grouser tracks were replaced with C standard track parts custom built, and cab, tub reinforcements, all done back in the early '90's. Don't remember if it also had all the coily spring axles changed for rubber torsion axles. Lots of replaced undercarriage parts, almost everything. Was built for cat skiing and did so very well, then site access for some years.
-Pat

Jarmancat

I’m new to the forum and in the market for a snowcat. I’m in the research stage and know very little. A dangerous thing in this market, it would appear. I follow some motorcycle forums and have learned there are some damn smart folks on forums. Y’all seem pretty connected. I’ve come across Snow Trans (mentioned above,) and boy are they proud of their cats! They look to be in good shape, but really spendy. I *think* I want a DMC/LMC 1200 or 1500. Pretty light duty, I’m guessing - just cruising to and from my local resort in Colorado up some back roads that are 4-wheel drive in the summer. Thanks in advance for any guidance from here!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I’m new to the forum and in the market for a snowcat. I’m in the research stage and know very little. A dangerous thing in this market, it would appear. I follow some motorcycle forums and have learned there are some damn smart folks on forums. Y’all seem pretty connected. I’ve come across Snow Trans (mentioned above,) and boy are they proud of their cats! They look to be in good shape, but really spendy. I *think* I want a DMC/LMC 1200 or 1500. Pretty light duty, I’m guessing - just cruising to and from my local resort in Colorado up some back roads that are 4-wheel drive in the summer. Thanks in advance for any guidance from here!

welcome to the forums, lots of informed members and they are truly most wiling to help....

you should also consider a, snow track, they are a solid value for the dollar spent with lots of strong points to think about.

FYI, all the dealers in the snow cat world do ask and sell their prize machines at the top of the market if not setting new higher price points, might be best to get to know a few members, get out with them in their cats, and with a little net working, and, you will find a fair valued machine to buy

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Quote ”FYI, all the dealers in the snow cat world do ask and sell their prize machines at the top of the market if not setting new higher price points, might be best to get to know a few members, get out with them in their cats, and with a little net working, and, you will find a fair valued machine to buy”

I think placing all dealers in one general category is not accurate,or fair.

And, not all dealers price high. I have found that most all cats as you move west into the snow areas. Bring higher prices, because of need. You don’t see many say, SW48 being used in the powder snow areas.

I have also found since the internet has become available, prices have gone considerably higher. Years ago with more people looking to buy a cat from Established company’s that deal in snowcats. And because there were not
Internet Auctions that drove the prices up. And forums that created Buzz word Cats. Cats cost less, Trade in cats from government entity’s went through dealers.For a lower dollar, and in turn, I most cases were sold for less.

There are Monster flippers, that put new lipstick on a cat and call it rebuilt.
But some of us actually go through and check and repair as required.

And in further defense, the recent sale of a 1200 LMC snowcat on a Goverment Surplus auction went higher than any 1200 I have ever sold! 34,000 with buyers fees. if I had that cat I would have sold it for about 18-20K tops

I just recently sold a Thiokol 600 series on consignment for 15K, and there is
Another on KSL for 21,900

I have sold many trade in machines, to members here on the Forums that needed TLC, and they have turned and flipped them for substantialy more.

Now granted, I have machines that I personally have owned for 20-30 years.
And yes, back then I bought some of those machines for substantially less than
What there worth today.

I mean no hard fellings toward you PP or anybody. This is my opinion

Last edited:

Jarmancat

I like the idea of getting in a cat with an owner/user - thank you. It would be good to have a feel for the experience first. Although I can probably sort members somehow, I’ll be lazy. Do you guys know anyone in the Colorado front range region that’s a credible member?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Quote ”FYI, all the dealers in the snow cat world do ask and sell their prize machines at the top of the market if not setting new higher price points, might be best to get to know a few members, get out with them in their cats, and with a little net working, and, you will find a fair valued machine to buy”

I think placing all dealers in one general category is not accurate,or fair.

And, not all dealers price high. I have found that most all cats as you move west into the snow areas. Bring higher prices, because of need. You don’t see many say, SW48 being used in the powder snow areas.

I have also found since the internet has become available, prices have gone considerably higher. Years ago with more people looking to buy a cat from Established company’s that deal in snowcats. And because there were not
Internet Auctions that drove the prices up. And forums that created Buzz word Cats. Cats cost less, Trade in cats from government entity’s went through dealers.For a lower dollar, and in turn, I most cases were sold for less.

There are Monster flippers, that put new lipstick on a cat and call it rebuilt.
But some of us actually go through and check and repair as required.

And in further defense, the recent sale of a 1200 LMC snowcat on a Goverment Surplus auction went higher than any 1200 I have ever sold! 34,000 with buyers fees. if I had that cat I would have sold it for about 18-20K tops

I just recently sold a Thiokol 600 series on consignment for 15K, and there is
Another on KSL for 21,900

I have sold many trade in machines, to members here on the Forums that needed TLC, and they have turned and flipped them for substantialy more.

Now granted, I have machines that I personally have owned for 20-30 years.
And yes, back then I bought some of those machines for substantially less than
What there worth today.

I mean no hard fellings toward you PP or anybody. This is my opinion

hoops I meant to exclude your operation and the good people that work for you, MNoutdoors IMHO is and has always been a upstanding and key supporter of snow cat owners and meeting their needs with honesty and very prompt service, IMHO, MN outdoors is truly the exception in the used snow cat world, now days, seems to be a lot of flippers now days....

you are the good guys,

sorry that I lumped you in with the others, you did not need to be painted with the same brush as the monster sellers

I would without hesitation buy a machine from MN Outdoors, and know very well I was treated fairly, very fairly

I am sorry Mr. MN outdoor

MN outdoors is the gold standard in the snow cat world

Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! You've already received some excellent advice, so I won't repeat any of that. I suggest you do your homework on what kind of a machine you want to meet your snowcat needs/wants. Realize a wide track machine may require an oversize permit for transport. Keep in mind the machine's weight and size, and consider the limitations of your tow vehicle and trailer.

One resource worth checking out are the spec sheets available at Safety One. Here's a link. You can select all kinds of different manufacturers and look at information on the various models they built. https://www.safetyoneinc.com/specsheets/tucker.html

In terms of finding machines for sale, ksl.com is a good spot. Here's a link. Just put "snowcat" in the keyword search. You can also try alternate spellings such as "snow cat", "sno-cat" etc: https://classifieds.ksl.com/ One frequent seller is a fellow I call "Monster" Jeff. He typically has several machines for sale. My impression is everything he has is a "Monster" something or other, and the condition is often described as "perfect" when anyone can see that it really isn't. On several occasions we've seen him buy a machine at "x" and tack on $10,000+ for doing, in some cases nothing, or darn close to it. I would be hesitant to do business with him.

One line I repeat is "The cheapest snowcat is rarely the best value". Parts can add up fast, and with some manufacturers, they can be hard to find. The vast majority of the time you're much better off spending a few thousand dollars more for a nicer machine, than one that's in rough shape.

My impression is a great many machines are bought long-distance, and that has significant risk if the seller is less than scrupulously honest. Words like "excellent", "low hours" and "rebuilt" mean different things to different people.

I've bought two machines through Snotrans, one on eBay, one on ksl.com and one through the forum (all Tuckers). I've bid on three on government auctions and lost out every time. When you buy can make a difference in the price. Fall and early winter is the worst time, and the late spring/early summer can be the best. Be patient, keep your eyes open, and try and network to expand your search horizons. Good Luck!

Jarmancat

Thanks, Blackfoot. And thanks to all of you. This is the kind of remarkably valuable advice I was hoping to receive. It will ultimately save me thousands of dollars. ����

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Jarmancat, welcome.

Another thought. Many snowcat owners have the ability, the desire, the time, and a place to work on their own cat. It certainly adds to the consideration of finding one in very good condition, as BFT said, and forging a relationship with a company that can provide that, if one doesn't have those things themself.That and the fact that Triple A might not be much help in the winter backcountry.

Reputable dealers also tend to be a bit more responsibility for what they sell than an individual or auction. As well as being that parts/service resource down the road. Perhaps because I'm in Construction and not sales, I tend to see sales in one of two ways. As either an asset to a team, in providing a product, service and expertise for the long term, that I need to get something done. Or a liability that simply wastes my time because it's just about making a sale rather than providing any of those other things. Probably not a bad rule of thumb here either.

That being said, I bought both snowcats that I have at auctions. But then I'm hard headed and own a couple wrenches.

Certainly the price of snowcats has been going up, due to popularity, good economic times, and a limited number of "good" old cats in existence.

Happy hunting, hope you find one you enjoy.

PS. A word of warning, seems there might be some truth to the fact that snowcats are like Mint Oreo cookies. It's hard to have just one.