• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Joe's kitchen knives

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
No guys I don't think I can do them all but will post my favorites here. Below are all Fish made handles on 3 cleavers, a Custom Hattori HD Honiseki (boning), and a Watanabe Nakiri with saya.

More to follow:

Attachments

• FishMasahiroM3_1.jpg
    FishMasahiroM3_1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 145
  • FishSuienVCClever.jpg
    FishSuienVCClever.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Suien VC 2_1.jpg
    Suien VC 2_1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Fish Hattori 150mm boning_1.jpg
    Fish Hattori 150mm boning_1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 144
  • FishHandle Watanabe Nakiri_3.jpg
    FishHandle Watanabe Nakiri_3.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 146

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
The first two are Fish handled knives, the last is my most valuable knife and cost me 2 - $10 rafle tickets. It is at that time valued at $2500 and it is a Carter International Pro Series 270 mm Gyuto.

Attachments

• Fish-Misono 210mm UX-10 Gyuto 1.jpg
    Fish-Misono 210mm UX-10 Gyuto 1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 157
  • FishTojiro240mm_1.jpg
    FishTojiro240mm_1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 149
  • CarterGyuto.jpg
    CarterGyuto.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 154

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They are some real beauties Joe. Have to appreciate the time spent making something functional and elegant like that.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Now for the group shots. There are still a bunch I haven't posted such as bone crusher meat cleavers/axes, some other butcher type knives and some misalainious knives for special carvings and such.

Now I keep the edges in shape with Japanese water stones and strops as listed below.

My Stones
DMT Dia-Sharp D8XX
Shapton Glass Stones 500/1K/2K/4K/8K
Naniwa 10K Super Stone

Stropping compounds and leathers
Dry- Fine/Pure Chromium Oxide - .5 Micron/60,000 Grit
Semi Liquid - 90% Chromium Oxide - .5 Micron/60,000 Grit
Diamond Spray - 12 carat - 0.25 microns
Diamond Spray - 10 carat - 0.25 microns
11"X3" Flatbed Hone
11"X3"X1/4" Mag. Back Glass Plate
Smooth Natural Leather
HA Red Treated Leather
Scrubbed Bull Leather Pad
Hard Felt Pad
Full Grain Horse Leather Pad

Attachments

• Group_Nakiri.jpg
    Group_Nakiri.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 151
  • ParingKnives1.jpg
    ParingKnives1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 137
  • TakedaCollection.jpg
    TakedaCollection.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 137

Kane

Nice!

A decent knife sharpener can be the most valuable piece in the set. What kind of sharpener do you use, joec?

EDIT:: oops. I see above that you use stones and leathers. What, no fixed or mechanical sharpeners?

Last edited:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice!

A decent knife sharpener can be the most valuable piece in the set. What kind of sharpener do you use, joec?

EDIT:: oops. I see above that you use stones and leathers. What, no fixed or mechanical sharpeners?

I tried a few of the mechanical methods, but much prefer the old way of doing it. I do sharpen these to razor edges though up to 10K followed by strops. I find they fall through the food with much less damage. Being Japanese knives they are much harder than the usual Euro/American knives with thinner blades that can take much sharper edges and hold them longer. This is especially true of the carbon knives over the stainless/machine steels however I have both as some foods don't get along well with some carbon steels.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
One of these days I will take pictures of my swords and ancient weapons. Now none of mine are original but all are built using modern materials and methods but copies taken from actual ancient weapons as well as all being battle ready and fully sharpened. I guess I have about 50 or so with some decorating my apartment on the walls.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes I know Shep makes knives just never had the pleasure of trying one as of yet. I have a Kanetsugu Pro M Series Petty. I also have several Tojiro's myself really good knives.

Tojiro Powder steel Gyuto 240mm (with Fish handle, second knife in first picture I posted)
Tojiro Sujihiki DP 270mm
Tojiro Suminagasi Nakiri 150mm
Tojiro DP Western Daba 210mm (this thing will butcher a mastodon, really heavy duty)
Tojiro DP Paring (sheeps foot style)

I also probably use one of two Chinese cleavers and a Shun Petty knife 90% of the time too. But then I used a Dexter Cleaver and disposable paring knives for over 30 years exclusively for everything.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I had to select the best bang for the buck knife made, it would be the Tojiro.

I would love to own a beautiful Japanese style cleaver. Unfortunately, the ones I want are out of my price range.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I highly recommend the Suien VC which I have two off but both with Fish Handles (shown in first picture as #2 and #3 from the top). The best place to buy knives in my opinion is http://japanesechefsknife.com/ChineseCleaver.html Suien about 3 from the top. The next one is the Sugimoto which was OK but still like the Suien VC best. I also have the second Takeda Chukabocho he built, a back up build to a custom a buddy ordered. Now they go for about double what I paid. Each knife is hand made with the blackened finish as shown in Post #4 picture #6 all of which there are Takeda. Really one of the best cutting knives I own and very rustic. Last I heard about him he was gravely ill but his son has taken over the business.

SShepherd

sheesh...where's the love?? I see you own one of Butch's knives :(

I need some info on your favorite cleaver, I think I'm ready to make a few. Got more pics ?

SShepherd

I highly recommend the Suien VC which I have two off but both with Fish Handles (shown in first picture as #2 and #3 from the top). The best place to buy knives in my opinion is http://japanesechefsknife.com/ChineseCleaver.html Suien about 3 from the top. The next one is the Sugimoto which was OK but still like the Suien VC best. I also have the second Takeda Chukabocho he built, a back up build to a custom a buddy ordered. Now they go for about double what I paid. Each knife is hand made with the blackened finish as shown in Post #4 picture #6 all of which there are Takeda. Really one of the best cutting knives I own and very rustic. Last I heard about him he was gravely ill but his son has taken over the business.

Shosui is sick ????

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
sheesh...where's the love?? I see you own one of Butch's knives :(

I need some info on your favorite cleaver, I think I'm ready to make a few. Got more pics ?

Sorry Shep, I've never seen you offer to sell a knife that I'm aware of though I know you do. I picked up Butch's knife at one of the ECG held at Warren's place in Pennsylvania a couple of years back. My wife wanted it for some reason. We use it for a letter opener now in the office.

As for the cleaver I do have more pictures as well as dimensions on them. I also have a Hattori KF JCK cleaver in VG-10. I never got a chance to by the Suien in VG-10 as they only made a single run on them. I never could get Andy to part with his. If you like I will get the information and pictures for you and email it to you. Just PM with an email address.

That is what I heard last time I was in Knife Forum which I haven't been in about a year now. Based on what I read at that time it was serious but don't really know for sure. I've not heard much about Shosui Takeda since not even about his knives, but then I've pretty much gotten out of the collecting about 2 years ago now and actually thinking of selling of some of them. I don't visit the knife forums that I used to any more as I stick to NetCookingTalk and a couple of gun forums now mostly.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice Joe.
I too have a bunch of Japanese Knives. Unlike your collection from different places, I bought these as a set. I'm very proud of my Ginsu's. :whistle:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice Joe.
I too have a bunch of Japanese Knives. Unlike your collection from different places, I bought these as a set. I'm very proud of my Ginsu's. :whistle:

Sound like my son that is until he got married a couple of decades ago. His wife came with a full set of Shun knives. I gave her a custom made Boardsmith cherry wood cutting board a couple of Christmas ago. She is the only daughter in law I have that actually can and does cook. She is of Cuban decent and cooks a lot of their dishes excellently I might add. It is too bad they live in Bremerton Washington so don't see them as much as I would like. I do talk to them often on the phone though as Grace and I swap recipes.