• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New work boots

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Anybody else around here beside me wear work boots as your everyday footwear? I have for years. I am happy wearing my boots, jeans and a flannel shirt in winter and a t shirt in summer. Call me Mr. Stylish. :yum:

I just ordered a new pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers. Been wearing Red Wings only for years but this is my first pair of Iron Rangers. At a little over $300 bucks I sure hope they feel as good as the other Red Wings. Handmade in the USA with harness grade leather. No Chinkese horseshit boots allowed on my ugly feet LOL.

_6371858.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I wear keen boots, up here one has to weigh traction on ice along with comfort .keen an danner seem to be about the last company to use a rubber compound that stays soft in the winter try looking up vibram icebiter soles. and yes I like my work boots carharts and button down shirts to. I might also add I curl the bill on my ball cap and use the bill over my eyes for shade ,unless I welding than its turned backwards.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you want to starve a progressive liberal hide his food stamps under his work boots.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Worked and lived in Red Wing pull-ons for years. They were almost standard equipment in the oilfield. I knew guys who had working Red Wings and getting dressed, going to town Red Wings. I was never quite that bad.:wink:

I don't wear work boots all that often these days. It depends what I'm doing. My current pair are actually Wolverine MultiShox. They're a very comfortable boot and I mean all day comfortable. I got them because I have to drive 40 miles to find Red Wings and it just wasn't worth it. I have owned lace-up work boots for around the house but never Red Wings.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess this might come down to how a person defines "work boots". My daily wear is either military-style smooth (black) 8" boots or military-style rough-out (desert tan) 8" boots. I wore similar boots 'on the job' :w00t2:for a number of years. Comfy all day!

[The 'trick' of course is buying a size larger than most salesfolks will fit you for, as they don't usually know Beans about boots (sorry). When a person spends the day on his/her feet, they swell quite a bit and a size that will do fine in a dress shoe will cripple in a boot actually used for walking and standing all day.]

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have found the break in period for Red Wings (the real ones with real leather made in the USA) to be quite an interesting endeavor. For over 40 years when I was breaking in a new pair of RW's I would bring my old boots to change into before the day was over. An old timer once told me thats how you can tell if a pair of boots is quality made with quality leather. The old saying of fits like a glove applies when broken in properly.

Ironman

Timberland Pro sucks

Scored a deal on a pair of timberland pros a few day ago. $90.00. :)
Put the oil to them over the weekend... went to lace them up Monday morning and pulled out a metal loop the string went thru before I even got to work... dammit! Yeah... I can't afford to keep buying this cheap shit. To think I was gonna replace my old Redwings for half the price. Lol. Fuck that noise. Going to get some real boots tomorrow at the redwing store.

I did hear some of the boots from Redwing are made in china now?? No?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Timberland Pro sucks

Scored a deal on a pair of timberland pros a few day ago. $90.00. :)
Put the oil to them over the weekend... went to lace them up Monday morning and pulled out a metal loop the string went thru before I even got to work... dammit! Yeah... I can't afford to keep buying this cheap shit. To think I was gonna replace my old Redwings for half the price. Lol. Fuck that noise. Going to get some real boots tomorrow at the redwing store.

I did hear some of the boots from Redwing are made in china now?? No?

YES! They have the Red Wing / Irish Setter line that is made in China, but damn are those good looking and well made boots. I checked them out at the store and I have to say I was very tempted but in the end I ordered the regular Red Wings that are made in Red Wing MN USA for a hell of a lot of money. Over 3 bills so they are not cheap. The last pair I bought I paid 199. Jeez. Thorogood makes a great boot for less money and they are USA made too.

Here is a review you should read. Not sure why they refer to these boots as entry level. Must be comparing them to custom hand made stuff like Tony Lama's , but who in construction buys those? https://www.heddels.com/2015/06/red-wing-iron-ranger-best-entry-level-boot/