• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oil filter issues....

R

Reddog

So I decided to change the oil in the TM. Oil looked good, but I like synthetics and I really didn't know how many hours were on the oil in it. Pulled the filter and found this:

P1050892.JPG

This is only the second time I have ever seen anything like this, out of hundreds of filters I have changed. Word to the wise, only buy quality filters....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So what Synthetic oil are you going to use? I have considered it, but I get along fine with diesel engine oil, with zinc in it...for flat tappet cam shaft.

Regards, Kirk

R

Reddog

Well, oil and oil choices is a BIG subject and everyone has an opinion.
I have had very good luck with synthetics in everything I have put it in and base most of my decisions on that experience. Since I change oil pretty frequently, and since I have had good luck with plain old Carquest synthetic, that is what I used. I particularly like the cold weather starting characteristics of synthetic oil. I run Schaeffer in my Cummins, but it sees considerably harder use.
I read some good (or I thought it was good...) info from aircooled.net
http://www.aircooled.net/synthetic-vw-oil/
prior to going with synthetic and saw no reason not to. The engine is broken in, runs an oil filter and, as opposed to some other higher performance engines, mine is not running particularly heavy valve springs.
I think the best way to hedge your best if you still are concerned is to add a zinc additive, like Lucas TB zinc plus to your synthetic oil.
My standard response to folks when they ask "what is the best oil ?" is "Clean"
FWIW...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Reddog.. BTW where is your oil filter installed in your machine? Mine just has the strainer, and I have been wondering about a filter kit. Where to put it has me wondering as well...

The filter, is that an internal failure of the glue that holds the paper to the ends??

Regards, Kirk

R

Reddog

Here is a pic of the filter location:

P1050878.JPG

I really don't know what happened. The red is part of a rubber "bladder" that I think works as sort of a check valve. The metal liner that holds the filter medium in place is actually bent. Weird....

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk if you want an oil filter like that one I have a spare I will send you. you can try cb performance and get the high volume oil pump with remote filter kit. that is what I did this way should I want to add a full flow oil cooler I can. as for synthetic oil on an aircooled engine Don't the synthetic oil won't wick the heat away from your heads as well as the 15w40 or aero shell oil will. I too like synthetics for the same reasons you mentioned but I learned the hard way. last winter after the wrist pin clip fell out I tore my engine down after 3 years of hard use and lots of back country cold starts and I found not a stitch of wear in any bearings other than the one that got hammered when the wrist pin fell out of. you just need to let the oil warm up a bit before you take off

donald73d

The orange is the ADBV (anti drainback valve). The better ones are silicone, cheaper are rubber. But I doubt the ADBV is the real issue. First guess is the bypass in the filter is defective. Or a filter without a bypass was used when this application required one. Or oil was way too thick for the temp. Some applications have a built in bypass and do not need one in the filter. But that is pretty rare.