• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

24v Electric questions

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The next project in the bunker is to get the 24v DC electrical up and running.

It's used for emergency lighting and some of the fire protection/detection systems.

Since all the circuits are on breakers, I can test each to keep the amp draw down. For this testing, I have a pair of deep-cycle marine batteries. They're pretty big (approx. 650cca and 150 minute reserve). Hooked up in series, I'll have my 24v. Anyone see any issue with this?

Also, what would a 12v battery charger do if connected to batteries connected in series and now 24v?

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Also, what would a 12v battery charger do if connected to batteries connected in series and now 24v? It would probably smoke the charger..........Brian.......just go across the batteries one at a time with your 12V charger.........You can leave 'em in series, just charge the batts one at a time hooking the charger up + to + and - to - same as you would on a car. I charge up 48 V forklift batteries 6 cells at a time the same way since I can't use the 3 phase 440 volt ac to 48V DC industrial chargers on my single phase 220 at the shop.

messickfarmequ

Charter Member
just make sure you don't short somthing. You have alot of potential to smoke somthing. I crossed a wire over my 18 volt dewalt drill battery the other day and in almost no time the 18ga wire was burned to a crisp. The votage won't hurt you but the amperage sure can do some damage.