• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Asus tablet

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anybody know anything about this unit? I am looking for a tablet and this one is $249 for a refurb from Tiger Direct. My needs are fairly simple. What I am looking for is reliability, fairly long battery life. I know nothing about tablets but I have had good luck with Asus in the past.
ASUS Transformer Pad Tablet - Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.2GHz, 1GB DDR3, 32GB Flash Storage, 10.1" Multi-Touch Screen, Dual Webcams, Blue (RB-ASTF300T-B1-BL)

Thanks

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For an ASUS that sounds like a great price. My main laptop is a refurb that i bought from tiger direct a couple years ago. Over 1000 dollars cheaper than it's predecessor and it works better than the old Dell.

I looked on tigerDirect for the one you are talking of for a few more details but could not find it.
here is a link to their current refurbs:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...cm_re=Laptops-_-Spot 04-_-Refurbished Laptops

Post a direct link to the one you are considering if you don't mind.

Edit to add ...having trouble reading today. I see now you said TABLET not LAPTOP. Big Difference. Sorry for the confusion. Carry on. :hide:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I missed that the size was different, and could not find refurb tablets.

Size does make a difference. Smaller is easier to carry. Bigger gives you more screen real estate. Much like bigger monitors are normally better, as long as you are not carrying it around a whole lot. For ease on your eyes and such I would think 10" would be better.

All this from someone who does not use a tablet. I have an Android ...but very very rarely use it. I prefer my laptop. So I will bow out of this tablet discussion.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I missed that the size was different, and could not find refurb tablets.

Size does make a difference. Smaller is easier to carry. Bigger gives you more screen real estate. Much like bigger monitors are normally better, as long as you are not carrying it around a whole lot. For ease on your eyes and such I would think 10" would be better.

All this from someone who does not use a tablet. I have an Android ...but very very rarely use it. I prefer my laptop. So I will bow out of this tablet discussion.

LOL, since I've had some time this week, I have tried to use the new Lenovo laptop I bought with Windows 8 on it. IMHO, after about 20 hours of trying, I figure the only way I'll use this laptop is if I can get rid of that afterbirth that lived called Windows 8. I'm yet to find even one single aspect of it that I can honestly say I like. I literally hate everything about that OS. I have a install copy of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I wonder if I could format the drive and start over with that? If it's a typical Windows thing where I'm going to be forced to use Windows 8, anyone want a deal on a Lenovo laptop? I should have paid the extra $300 or so and bought an Apple Macbook. :hammer:

I just have some websites, like our local library, that isn't compatible with Mac systems for some reason. Anymore, it seems that Apple has pretty well topped PC's in sales in my area. They definitely have among college students. Anyway, get this, after buying that PC laptop so I can get my audiobooks from home via our library, they tell me that they don't support Windows 8. :mad:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
LOL, since I've had some time this week, I have tried to use the new Lenovo laptop I bought with Windows 8 on it. IMHO, after about 20 hours of trying, I figure the only way I'll use this laptop is if I can get rid of that afterbirth that lived called Windows 8. I'm yet to find even one single aspect of it that I can honestly say I like. I literally hate everything about that OS. I have a install copy of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I wonder if I could format the drive and start over with that? If it's a typical Windows thing where I'm going to be forced to use Windows 8, anyone want a deal on a Lenovo laptop? I should have paid the extra $300 or so and bought an Apple Macbook. :hammer:

I just have some websites, like our local library, that isn't compatible with Mac systems for some reason. Anymore, it seems that Apple has pretty well topped PC's in sales in my area. They definitely have among college students. Anyway, get this, after buying that PC laptop so I can get my audiobooks from home via our library, they tell me that they don't support Windows 8. :mad:

No reason you can't do a total reformat and install Windows 7. Is 8 really that much of a POS?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I missed this thread till now. I have an Asus pad. I love it. My main use for it is out at camp. Do yourself a favor and get the keyboard with it. Gives a lot more options for USB ports and sd card slots etc. Plus. The keyboard doubles battery life. I can get roughly 9 hrs on just the tablet and 18 hrs of continuous use from the keyboard and tablet combined. I normally only have to charge once a week.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Anybody know anything about this unit? I am looking for a tablet and this one is $249 for a refurb from Tiger Direct. My needs are fairly simple. What I am looking for is reliability, fairly long battery life. I know nothing about tablets but I have had good luck with Asus in the past.
ASUS Transformer Pad Tablet - Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.2GHz, 1GB DDR3, 32GB Flash Storage, 10.1" Multi-Touch Screen, Dual Webcams, Blue (RB-ASTF300T-B1-BL)

Thanks

My wife has a Sansung tablet running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and the thing is slick as hell. Android with at least 4.0 is a rock solid performer. That tegra 3 is a good processor. At that price point it is a no brainer AFAIC.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I ended up buying the machine from Groupon goods. $399 w/free shipping. Includes the keyboard, a new machine with a 1 year warranty. You don't get much warranty with a refurb, and includes 2 yrs cloud storage, whatever that is.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With the keyboard option I would be more apt to try one.
After you have used it a while how about a review on the unit Jimbo?

A friend was telling me he bought a program for voice recognition. He first loaded and opened the program and read a paragraph into it, so it gets to know your voice inflections. Then you can open any input window and say what you want typed in. The text appears and is editable. Sounds like a great app for tablets. I can't remember the name of the app but will find out and update if anyone is interested.

FreddiePayne

Thanks
Never used ASUS tablet but heard a lot. Can you give a brief a small review about the device.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had the tablet for around a month, and overall it is a good machine. First impression is that it is well made. Aluminum case instead of the typical plastic. The keyboard functions well, and have had no problems. I was not familiar with the Android system, but upgraded to an Android phone from Verizon at the same time, and spent a couple hours at the offered free classes. The instructor was familiar with both tablets and phones and more than willing to answer questions on both, so that learning curve was greatly reduced.

I especially like the triple input capabilities and use all three interchangeably. I recommend the keyboard if you are going to purchase one of these. Battery life according to most is greatly enhanced with the keyboard. (It bills itself as a docking station, not a keyboard). An added bonus with the keyboard is that you don't need an additional case to protect the screen.
The size is right. Mine is a 10.1 screen, and it fits into a zippered three ring portfolio style case.

I use an Asus laptop, and neither the tablet nor the laptop came with any instructions. I would prefer a book. Call me old fashioned. This is about the only downside.

Overall, a very good machine, expecially for the price of $399 delivered. I would not personally one without the keyboard, but a lot of people do and are happy with the choice. I also am not yet willing to give up the laptop for around the home use. I went with a new machine rather than a refurb. Tiger Direct clearly states that any refurb warranty means dealing with the manufacturer. The tablet came direct from Groupon Goods and was delivered as expected.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good review Jimbo. :tiphat:
Do you have built in connectivity / data plan, or do you have to rely on others wireless signals to connect away from your home?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I connect through other peoples wireless connections. I don't think I signed up for android connectivity. I have never had a problem finding a connection when I needed it.

It is, of course, available if I need it and want to pay the bill.